• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Foundation vs MDT acc…I understand the hype now 😁

RIGGS9985

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 26, 2012
    Nebraska
    Today I took out 2 of my rifles for some baracade pratice to try and decide which I will take to a match in a couple weeks. One is chambered in 22creed and sits in a foundation and the other is a 6creed in a MDT acc chassis. In addition, both impact737 actions, both impact by Stuteville pre-fit barrels, both bix’n’andy tac pro sport triggers, both area 419 hellfire brakes, both nightforce ultralight rings, both Razor gen2 glass. Going with the 22 creed! So light recoiling and is a laser beam! Photo and video below 🤘
    C3BBE4F5-30F4-4FB0-9E1B-E07E8AB60DEB.jpeg

What’s the difference /opinion between stocks?

your choice seems to have been made by cartridge not stock/chassis

thanks
    I enjoy the MDT chassis a lot, the fact that weight can be easy added and balanced, and the fit adjustment to the shooter.
    The foundation on the other hand is just a different ballgame….the way they dampen and dull felt recoil is indescribable. The foundation paired with being chambered in the very light recoiling 22 creed is a fantastic unbeatable combo in my opinion!

I am already sold on Foundation ( waiting for my build to be ready ) but wonder if you swap the barreled action between the two rigs and report back if your feeling stays the same.

Oh the Foundation dampens recoil?!! Is that due to the shape of the stock or the material do you think? Is there some engineering dynamics in the layers of micarta?
    I don’t know if it’s the material or engineering. I just know it feels different from anything else and i Likey!

I shoot my 223 in a JAE700 and it recoils way less than my 300nm in an ACC - go the JAE fellas!

LOL

Foundations are pretty sick but come on, V x M = F... you have more of it on one than on the other simple as that... there is no secret sauce there.

Finally decided to order my foundation after going back and forth on it the past year. Should be getting it begining of october i hope.

Reactions: 2c1fr
    No dog in the fight here but from my cycling years, I recall absolute differences between aluminum, steel and carbon fiber frames. Aluminum was typically stiff but harsh, steel springy and compliant and composite frames were stiff and deadened harmonics from the road/ trail. Makes sense micarta would nullify recoil sharpness to a certain extent.

No dog in the fight here but from my cycling years, I recall absolute differences between aluminum, steel and carbon fiber frames. Aluminum was typically stiff but harsh, steel springy and compliant and composite frames were stiff and deadened harmonics from the road/ trail. Makes sense micarta would nullify recoil sharpness to a certain extent.
    What I’m hearing is that we need a steel chassis.

I’ve sold both my ACC chassis’ and now run Foundations on both my rimfire and my centerfire match guns.

The feel of their stocks is much better than aluminum, but the MDTs are nicer in that it’s easier to add weight to get the rifle to balance.

I will say the foundations didn’t need as much weight, though.

Even on the MDT they could make the forend out of steel that bolted up to the magwell and trigger housing.
    Hmm, new chassis idea?

I don’t know if it’s the material or engineering. I just know it feels different from anything else and i Likey!

I've had rifles stocked in both fiberglass and laminated wood. The felt recoil is definitely different and noticeably so in favor of the wood.

I would imagine that the difference in felt recoil between a very dense laminate (Foundation) and an aluminum beam (MDT) is even more dramatic.

And even though my field of expertise is not in vibration damping, I do know that there is a significant body of work in that field and that material properties are a huge component of vibration damping and absorption.

Before the argument starts, this has nothing to do with actual recoil momentum or energy. It's all about the body's perception of it.

Reactions: phlegethon
    About 4 or so months ago I bought a Foundation for my 6BR. I had shot several other foundation stocked rifles of friends. But only a few shots each. Once I got my own foundation, I removed the MPA chassis(which I'd been shooting with for the past couple years, same caliber.) There was a noticable difference in recoil managment with the foudnation. Like mentioned above, they just "feel" different. The way they deaden the recoil impulse is more like a wood. Best I can describe it is like: Chassis = tuning fork (more of a 'boing' feel); Foundation = wet wood (more of a 'thud.) I even swapped the barreled action between chassis and foundation one day for a couple friends. Everyone agreed. The foundation was easier to spot trace and impacts.

I liked the foundation so much, I bought another for my backup rifle. also, no more freezing hands holding onto the aluminum chassis come 'yote season. :)

Reactions: 308pirate
    Tig welded chrome moly steel tube chassis would be sweet.

Why TIG welded? Why not MIG?

Why not bond it together with one of the many aerospace structural adhesives?

I know which one I would prefer.

Why TIG welded? Why not MIG?

Why not bond it together with one of the many aerospace structural adhesives?

I know which one I would prefer.
    Interesting. The adhesive is a great idea. I’m pretty sure MIG welding chrome moly steel is a no-no as induces microscopic cracks and inclusions unless you use 4130 filler and heat treat. That’s not to say it has to be made out of chrome moly. I was thinking an elegant chassis like the old Maserati birdcage chassis would be tits.

Attachments

• F86958F6-EF65-40E6-BA6F-E9B69D503805.jpeg
      F86958F6-EF65-40E6-BA6F-E9B69D503805.jpeg
      67.4 KB · Views: 56
    although the different materials might absorb some vibration etc, as far as strength goes they not where near at robust as a aluminum chassis

although the different materials might absorb some vibration etc, as far as strength goes they not where near at robust as a aluminum chassis
    What different materials? Carbon fiber? Fiberglass? Micarta? Steel? Wood? All have been mentioned here. What kind of strength are you talking about? Is tensile or torsional strength the only important metric for a rifle stock?

Today I took out 2 of my rifles for some baracade pratice to try and decide which I will take to a match in a couple weeks. One is chambered in 22creed and sits in a foundation and the other is a 6creed in a MDT acc chassis. In addition, both impact737 actions, both impact by Stuteville pre-fit barrels, both bix’n’andy tac pro sport triggers, both area 419 hellfire brakes, both nightforce ultralight rings, both Razor gen2 glass. Going with the 22 creed! So light recoiling and is a laser beam! Photo and video below 🤘
    View attachment 7681138

Are you going to Adam Wackels match in crete? I shoot at Robb Jeffery a lot but i can't place who you are.

What different materials? Carbon fiber? Fiberglass? Micarta? Steel? Wood? All have been mentioned here. What kind of strength are you talking about? Is tensile or torsional strength the only important metric for a rifle stock?
    without getting into it and derailing the thread, which one would you hold like baseball bat by the barrel and swing at a tree

wood no
    micarta no
    carbon fiber maybe inless its freezing cold
    fiberglass maybe but the bedding job might give way

without getting into it and derailing the thread, which one would you hold like baseball bat by the barrel and swing at a tree

wood no
    micarta no
    carbon fiber maybe inless its freezing cold
    fiberglass maybe but the bedding job might give way
    Well I probably wouldn’t do that with a rifle. But if I did, I would expect decent results with anything but micarta. If I’m not mistaken they actually do make baseball bats out of wood.

Reactions: brianf
    youd be surpeised what they do in chosing rifles for the military

...ive seen baseball bats break during a game

never saw a aluminum bat break in college :p