• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Fox trapping info needed.

rkgsmith

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2005
maryland
Many years ago I did some coon and muskrat trapping as a teen. Looking to do some fox trapping, not for profit just looking to get a few hides and try my hand at tanning. Have looked at youtube and wanted some info on the best brand and type of trap for fox. I'm looking mainly at fox but there are yotes in my area, but know it would require a different set. Would you go 1.75 just to be safe. Best brand to get? I'm just looking for half dozen. Also what about bait or lure, what do you guys like. Any ideas appreciated. Finally what about good books on fox trapping. thanks

I'd do, Victor 1.75 no problem. If you want a great trap take a look at the mb 550. Decent trap for the money is a Bridger 2.
Best to find a local trappers or association and pick their brains.
Xdeano

Agree Bridger #2 offset or KB 550, buy O'Gormans Hi Rolling Fox trapping book. Will get you off to a good start.

Welcome to F&T Fur Harvester's Trading Post

We have a couple of mb traps and have a few duke. Foxes were crazy last year, killed several guinea. We use the cheapest, smelliest, canned cat food tractor supply has... Chicken/liver or chicken/tuna in gravy. I warm the cans up a little prior to setting out, it really gets the scent/odor going. Sardines in oil works also, got more raccoons with the sardines though...
I've tried a couple of the commercial lures, and they helped, I think...

+1 for trapperman......... check out the basic sets...........fox are a lil harder than water sets; pan tension really important..... equipment prep, scent control set location and proper trap placement are all critical..... contact local DNR Officer and ask if him who the best trapper in your area is........give that person a call and you may get more knowledge applicable to your area.

Welcome back to the sport!!!!!!!!!!!! Trappers hate fly by night competition when fur is high, but are glad to see some one serious about the trade!!!!!

aqytyben.jpg

Hew hew. I snagged em

Thanks for the tips, I'm getting pretty excited to get the ball rolling. Great tip on the cat food though. Will check out the Trapperman site and have recently got a name from my Izack Waltron on a local guy that I actually know, but didn't know trapped. The pics got me super motivated now. I live outside of DC and really more PETAish folks than serious trappers around here.

I'd do, Victor 1.75 no problem. If you want a great trap take a look at the mb 550. Decent trap for the money is a Bridger 2.
Best to find a local trappers or association and pick their brains.
Xdeano

MB make GREAT out the box traps, literally clean them wax them and set them. For fox though i would suggest a 450 over the 550 unless you think you might get a few yote/bobcats. The 550 will destroy the foxes feet unless you go with the soft jaw, or add a few extra swivels as its alot heavier then the 450 and the foxes roll alot!.

I'm in coyote country so you have to set for the largest critter in your area if you want to keep your traps. I add chain to my traps, at minimum they'll be 3' long with a triple swivel from trap to anchor. I'll still suggest a mb550. I've caught lots of critters in a mb650 and Sterling mj600's.

Just FYI, soft jaws, (ie rubber padding) doesn't make it any better for the animal. In fact it makes it worse because it cuts off the circulation to the foot. Give me an off set, laminated steel trap any day of the week. Trust me, my judgement is sound. ;)

OP, if you've got larger k9's in your area, always error on the larger better built mouse trap. The 550 will do anything you want it to do, from fox, coons, coyotes, bobcats, otter, fishers, etc. But so will the old standby 1.75, with a few modifications.

xdeano

MB make GREAT out the box traps, literally clean them wax them and set them. For fox though i would suggest a 450 over the 550 unless you think you might get a few yote/bobcats. The 550 will destroy the foxes feet unless you go with the soft jaw, or add a few extra swivels as its alot heavier then the 450 and the foxes roll alot!.

Last edited:
I'm in coyote country so you have to set for the largest critter in your area if you want to keep your traps. I add chain to my traps, at minimum they'll be 3' long with a triple swivel from trap to anchor. I'll still suggest a mb550. I've caught lots of critters in a mb650 and Sterling mj600's.

Just FYI, soft jaws, (ie rubber padding) doesn't make it any better for the animal. In fact it makes it worse because it cuts off the circulation to the foot. Give me an off set, laminated steel trap any day of the week. Trust me, my judgement is sound. ;)

OP, if you've got larger k9's in your area, always error on the larger better built mouse trap. The 550 will do anything you want it to do, from fox, coons, coyotes, bobcats, otter, fishers, etc. But so will the old standby 1.75, with a few modifications.

xdeano

wasn't questioning your knowledge :) that's why i mentioned if the target is ONLY fox then the 450 but if there is a chance for yotes or cats run with the 550. I run the 550 OS Cast jaws and love them. Held a nice tom perfectly! BTW do you laminate the MB's? I haven't had a pullout yet but i haven't been trapping too long, and if it makes a big difference i might end up doing that to mine.

As for the rubber, good to know, so rubber jaws are there to please the peta dickholes...

If im not mistaken the modern day 2 coil have the power to hold most critters no problem. The 4 coil helps if your in freezing conditions to break through the ice. The traps are build with leverage in mind and thats what allows them to stay closed better.

My MB550's are set to 1.5-2lbs of pan tension for fox really easy to adjust the tension if you have a vice.

Yes the larger 4 coiled traps will catch and hold smaller critters just fine. 07yzryder has it correct, the 4 coiled traps are ment for breaking ground faster that is it, they don't help in actually holding the animal for the most part, other then it being harder to spread the jaws. Pan tension is very easy to set on the MB traps.
Deano

xdeano, Are you catching smaller critters on the large 4 coil traps? I have no experience with them, but just assumed pan tension couldn't be set low enough. Thanks.

In a perfect world where there were just fox running around, and i wish it was, because they're much easier to catch, easier to skin, easier to put up.

I don't laminate the MB's because they come out of the box ready to roll. The cast jaws are the only way to roll.

The rubber jaws are definitely for the people you mentioned. Preception makes nieve people feel better about themselves. It's PC is all.

xdeano

wasn't questioning your knowledge :) that's why i mentioned if the target is ONLY fox then the 450 but if there is a chance for yotes or cats run with the 550. I run the 550 OS Cast jaws and love them. Held a nice tom perfectly! BTW do you laminate the MB's? I haven't had a pullout yet but i haven't been trapping too long, and if it makes a big difference i might end up doing that to mine.

As for the rubber, good to know, so rubber jaws are there to please the peta dickholes...

If im not mistaken the modern day 2 coil have the power to hold most critters no problem. The 4 coil helps if your in freezing conditions to break through the ice. The traps are build with leverage in mind and thats what allows them to stay closed better.

My MB550's are set to 1.5-2lbs of pan tension for fox really easy to adjust the tension if you have a vice.

Good tips, I've read alot about adjusting pan tension, something about a " second notch" anybody able shed any light on what is meant by this?

Hello,

Its been a while since I've done any trapping so I'm not very knowledgeable about the different trap designations ie. number, size what not. So I can't give advice along those lines except double coil spring traps with an open diameter of about 5" worked pretty well.

As far as how to set the traps; Lets say someone I knew of set his traps by digging a small depression and completely covering them with soft dirt. A small hole was dug a few inches in diameter and about 6" deep just at the edge of where the trap was located. Canned mackerel was the preferred bait.

This type of set-up was very successful at catching foxes.

Sim