• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Frank thinks 147 Gr is too heavy for 6.5C/260?

Kevin1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2011
Allen, TX, USA
I was reading Frank’s article and he seems to think that the 147gr is more suitable for 6.5 SAUM. Is he referring to shorter barrels for 6.5C/260? Because I’m getting pretty decent velocity with those 147 ELDM in my 26” 260 rem barrel

https://www.snipershide.com/2017-year-of-the-bullet/

“While Hornady has a factory Creedmoor load for the 147gr 6.5, I think reloaded you will see better performance out of it. It was mainly designed for the 6.5SAUM guys, so it will be heavy in a Creedmoor case, which translates to slow. I think this load should have been a SuperFormance one to keep the speeds up a bit. But we’ll see I have yet to shoot it in this offering, and I plan on testing it out as I shoot a ton of 6.5CM.”

One person will never have the final say on subjects like this, even though I tend to agree, people shoot 140's out of a 6.5x47 with great success. You need to figure if the bc is worth the velocity loss, there is crossover point somewhere downrange.

Well, perhaps he should shoot it first before he comments. The factory 6.5 CM loading actually chronos faster than the 140 factory load in my 26 in. gun.

Like everything else it depends on the rifle. In barrels over 24" in 260 and 6.5cm I would think it does decent at or above 2750-2800. Personally with my 20" 260 I won't use anything over 140's because I can't get the heavier bullets moving fast enough for my liking. Like already mentioned, bc doesn't stay true if the bullet isn't moving fast enough and you could have better performance with a lower bc, lighter, faster bullet.

I've got a couple hundred 147 Eld-m sitting on my bench that I'm trying to find a load using R17 in 24" barrel. I can't get higher than 2730 without pressure signs.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

A detailed analyses using Hornady's velocity bands and where your rifle shoots the 140 and 147's best will shed light onto which is better for your intended purpose. I did this a couple months ago to see if it was worth the switch in my 22" AR barrel and found that the two were near twins until they were past 950 yards. At 1000 yards the 147 would save me 1/10th of a mil in the wind. Because of that, and how few targets I shoot at matches that are 1000+ yards and the increased pressure load I was putting on my brass in my DI system I did not feel that it would be worth continuing working up that load and went back to the 140's.

Here is a link to the velocity bands
http://www.hornady.com/BC

Personally I'm going to wait until my 8.5 twist barrel, "might be 9 but I can't remember", is replaced with a 7.5 twist before I go with the 147 because the BC of the projectile is too full potential in a faster twist. Plus I need to shoot up the rest of the 140 hybrids which do well at 3175 fps out of my 6.5 Saum. High node - 3275 fps was blowing up the hybrids mid air so I had to back off. I could see 3150 - 3200 fps with a true .67 BC to start, as advantageous.

A detailed analyses using Hornady's velocity bands and where your rifle shoots the 140 and 147's best will shed light onto which is better for your intended purpose. I did this a couple months ago to see if it was worth the switch in my 22" AR barrel and found that the two were near twins until they were past 950 yards. At 1000 yards the 147 would save me 1/10th of a mil in the wind. Because of that, and how few targets I shoot at matches that are 1000+ yards and the increased pressure load I was putting on my brass in my DI system I did not feel that it would be worth continuing working up that load and went back to the 140's.

Here is a link to the velocity bands
http://www.hornady.com/BC

I do almost all my 6.5CM shooting between 1000 and 1500 yards. I'm shooting Hornady 140 and 147 ELDMs. Before I knew of the existence of the velocity band data from Hornady, and knowing my MVs were accurate because I was running Labradar on every shot, I had to adjust my BCs on my own, based on my target impacts. The BC on the box is the same (highest) BC listed for short range in the velocity band data. For the 140, I had to adjust it (G7) from the box value of .326 down to .312 to match my 1000+ yard results. It turns out in this velocity band data they list .310, so that's pretty darned close to what I got on my own. For the 147 they list .351 on the box. I had to adjust it down to .320 to match my 1000-1500 yd results. So, in the velocity band data, they list it as .321 at that range, so that's even closer.

What I haven't done is to go back and shoot targets at close range to see how badly the dope would be off using these BCs at 200/400/600/800. It seems cumbersome to have three profiles with different BCs in the Kestrel for each gun/cartridge combination simply based on target range. Has anyone looked at how much the close range dope was affected by using the long range BCs (i.e. target results, not calculations)?

My computer modeling came up with the following to 1k for a one number average.

BC average to 1k based off my start velocity:
2600, 147=.330g7/.655g1
2690, 140=.316g7/.629g1

Prior to the above I had actually been using .310g7 for the 140 for last years match season and had no issues staying on the targets when I had a proper wind call, but most targets where 1.5 moa or larger which would allow for a little wiggle room. I've since started using .316 and have remained within +/- 1/10th mil inside 700.

Personally I'm going to wait until my 8.5 twist barrel, "might be 9 but I can't remember", is replaced with a 7.5 twist before I go with the 147 because the BC of the projectile is too full potential in a faster twist. Plus I need to shoot up the rest of the 140 hybrids which do well at 3175 fps out of my 6.5 Saum. High node - 3275 fps was blowing up the hybrids mid air so I had to back off. I could see 3150 - 3200 fps with a true .67 BC to start, as advantageous.

I shoot them in my 8 twist 27" Creedmoor at 2820fps and I used the factory .697 BC in JBM library and the data was dead on to 1020 yards for wind and elevation. With a 7.5 twist going 3150-3200fps it would be an awesome bullet.

I think the 147 is a very good bullet in a .260 or 6.5 Creedmoor with a decent barrel length.

I'm shooting them at 2730 in my 6.5x47 with excellent accuracy, I'm liking them better than 140 Hybrids, better in the wind and cheaper. A buddy of mine shoots them also, he's getting 2830 out of a Creed.