• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Frankford Arsenal Case Trimmer

Marksman_92

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2017
Anyone have experience with the Frankford Arsenal case prep center? Would like a giraud but can’t swing it at the moment. Looking for something affordable that with trim to a consistent length.

I have one that I have just started using and I'm not really experienced with it. To me, its sort of a PIA to get the exact consistency every time, its almost a feel. I use it to trim 6.5 brass I would have some perfect at 1.920 then the next one at 1.919, then 1.917, then back to 1.920, so it might be me. I've ordered a carbide trimmer blade thinking that might help. I'll see what difference that makes after this weekends match when I trim brass again.

Reactions: Marksman_92
I use it. It works well for what it is.

Like any trimmer that indexes of the shoulder of the case, if your sizing process is less than consistent, it will show up as inconsistent trim lengths.

I found I've been able to maintain +/- .002" with my process. Which seems to be enough for the accuracy I'm after. Definitely need to get a feel for it, I rotate my brass at least 180 degrees when it's in the trimmer, also found replacing the included cutter head with another brand (think RCBS) gave me a better trimming experience.

Having said that, so far with my .260 AI brass, I've only trimmed after initial fire forming to bring the necks to a consistent length. I'll trim again only when my brass lengths become inconsistent greater than +/- .002 or are beyond max length.

i've owned the Frankford Arsenal®'s Case Trim & Prep Center for a few years now and am pretty pleased. I did have to change out a worn trim blade but that's to be expected as it's a wear and tear item.

I've found it to be pretty reproducible as far as trim length. I do check the case measurements every session and have only had to adjust length one or two times if i recall correctly. It's pretty easy to do.

It's important to set the whole unit on a cloth or in a small tray as it doesn't contain all the shavings perfectly. Not really a big deal. I've seen the aftermarket sells a little magnetic container for this but i don't mind the disposable cookie tray i've been using.

I bet there are other systems that are just as good or even more precise but this works pretty well.

I've used one for years. Never changed the cutters. You'll know when it's time to anneal your too.?
I also use it vertical which ,for me, makes it easier to adjust and use.
It will cut whatever length you want but it cuts off a data line from the shoulder.

I did grind the tip of the (inside bevel cutter) so that I can open primer pockets on my military 556 bass.

There's plenty of case prep stations, I just like this one. Personal choice

great point....i haven't started annealing my brass. i've got to save up some money first.