• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Franks view on Light bullets vs heavy bullets

pitdog85

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2017
I'm working my way through these podcasts and loving it up to around episode 25 thanks frank and mike. Up to now frank has stated a few times about running lighter bullets faster out of the 6.5's ie 136 and lower, he mentioned someone going to a 150smk with a 6.5x47. I just ran the numbers through hornady 4dof and even if you ran a 150SMk out of a 6.5x47l at 2700 which would seem possible this smokes all other 6.5 bullets in the wind. My conclusion that the lighter bullets fast may be better for unknown distance shooting but for known distance targets that 150smk smokes them all in the wind by a long shot according to 4DOF. Thoughts??

Last edited:
Sure but if your not going to believe what a ballistic calculator such as hornady 4DOF whats the point in using it.

Sure but if your not going to believe what a ballistic calculator such as hornady 4DOF whats the point in using it.
The differences in wind drift between the light bullets and the heavies only become radically apparent past 600 - 700 yards. Most targets in PRS matches are within 600 yards. This is the context Frank was talking about.

Reactions: Lowlight
Exactly context matters,

But I do shoot 130 Prime around 2850+ and they drift fine. Elevation matters too, heavy bullets might require more drop and the wind up higher is stronger.
But the context is Competition as the class leaders are shooting light 6mms very fast, you can go light with a 6.5 too, speed things up and reduce recoil

I was not talking about laying in the prone and shooting a nice relaxing day at distances beyond 800, I was talking in comps.

My 136gr load will hang with any heavies though

Reactions: lash
Thanks guys was a bit confused as I know the f class guys generally go really heavy but they are only concerned with wind. two different games I guess two different needs.

Exactly context matters,

But I do shoot 130 Prime around 2850+ and they drift fine. Elevation matters too, heavy bullets might require more drop and the wind up higher is stronger.
But the context is Competition as the class leaders are shooting light 6mms very fast, you can go light with a 6.5 too, speed things up and reduce recoil

I was not talking about laying in the prone and shooting a nice relaxing day at distances beyond 800, I was talking in comps.

My 136gr load will hang with any heavies though
I have been shooting the 136 Scenar Ls for a number of years and see no real reason to stop doing so. I have honestly considered developing a load for the 123g Scenars for use at 600 and in. I used to shoot those a few years back as loaded by SWA and they were just lasers within 600 yards or so. They were going right around 2900 fps. I just happen to have a box of 1000 sitting on my loading bench right now.

It can depend on the rifle, which bullets are compared, and how fast they're going. My 22" Shilen barrel chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor likes to push the 140 Berger Hybrid at only 2685 fps but likes to push the Hornady 130 ELD-M at 2940. This ends up a win for the lighter bullet out to 1000 with far less drop and no more wind. If I could get the 140 to be happy at 2800-2850, the heavy bullet would probably win.