• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Freak spike buck, would you eat It???

stello1001

Professional Newb
Minuteman
  • Feb 20, 2017
    Corpus Christi TX
    Hello all,

So this buck has been coming out on our cameras both day and night. I am finally getting some free time to go to the ranch and hunt. I honestly never really thought anything about it. I figured I'd kill it and eat it. I still think that way. However, many people that I've shown these pics to say it's probably sick. One person even said it's so sick I should kill it and not even worry about butchering it. What's the hide say?

WGI_0818.JPG
    WGI_0629.JPG
    WGI_0071.jpg

City boys from NYC would drive around their neighborhood till it was rotted away to show off that shit rack. Seen it all my life. Now I'm here in the catskills where I live "Farm"...Bklyn transplant. Saw 2 like this within 1 mile of the farm killed by vehicles this past rut... yotes are eating good up here.

I definitely want to shoot it ASAP. I've never been concerned about the meat but since many people were telling me it's not good, I wanted to see if the hide had anything to say. There's a twin that looks just like him with one antler curled back and the other one normal but it doesn't have double main beams.

He looks healthy enough to me, I killed one that was kinda like that a couple of weeks ago. Was pretty tasty.

Reactions: FatBoy
    Like others have said, it looks like a normal and healthy deer with crappy antler genetics. You should put him in your belly post-haste.

I'd be a bit more concerned about what's in the supermarket meat bunker...

It's running free, it's eating Mother Nature, and it's venison.

Shoot it, eat it, dump it, move on...

Greg

Reactions: BGE541
    The horns don’t indicate it being sick. Shoot it and as long as the meat looks good, eat it.

To me it looks like it has a big belly, which is not normal for this time of year ( at least in my area)

Also it doesn’t look to old me, not many scars on the face/ears and not much grey or white on the face.

The horns don’t indicate it being sick. Shoot it and as long as the meat looks good, eat it.

if you look at the first pic I posted, it looks like the deer has a six pack on his neck lol. Again, I've never thought anything of it. However, somebody told me those bumps are there because something is wrong with it. I just think it's skin or muscles were bulging!

if you look at the first pic I posted, it looks like the deer has a six pack on his neck lol. Again, I've never thought anything of it. However, somebody told me those bumps are there because something is wrong with it. I just think it's skin or muscles were bulging!

Maybe see if someone in your states game department could look at the pics and give you an educated recommendation.

I'd consider the other prospects in your area. Are there a lot of other deer, and are they typical ones? If so, that's what I'd be investing my tags in.

I mean, it doesn't necessarily fall to you to be thinning the herd of undesirables; maybe a chat with the local environmental officer would trigger him to cull this one. I think it would be a lot more their responsibility than the average hunter's.

Or they may determine the deer in question as not being an undesirable kill for eating. I never hunted for trophies, mainly just the meat; so I'd not be averse to the latter option.

Greg

Last edited:
    Let him grow, sometimes its their horn bases get damaged and they grow funny. See what he looks like next year. Nothing wrong with freaky shit though, I will eat it all :love:

I'v eaten worst , but I'm sure that the Jack Daniels was doing the licking.

Reactions: deersniper
    I’ve got a rack with 2 lefts that I ate. Looked hilarious, tasted fine.

Young buck, not sure I would shoot it. I would like him grow and become more freakish.

Reactions: FatBoy
    That deer will taste as good if not better than the ones with bigger horns!!

The bulges in the skin is just excess skin. Just like us, deer lose muscle and gravity take a more profound effect on skin as it gets older. It is true that injuries in previous years can deform horns. But this is not one of those examples. This is a deer with shitty genes going down hill.

That’s an older buck and very healthy. He will be tough to kill but if you do he will eat fine.

I shot an atypical Nyala on the Eastern Cape a few years back. It had one horn going straight up and one going out to the side. He was old too. His teeth were almost down to the gums. Nobody complained about the meat.

BTW he went down with one shot from 375H&H at maybe 70m. I was loaded with solids because we were looking for a Wildebeest otherwise I would have been running soft points