• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Free Floating By Removing Barrel Lug

SmallBoreSnipers

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2009
Troy, NY
On my Marlin 917 I have a lug on the barrel where one screw goes in to hold the stock on, and another one in the receiver. Can I just remove the barrel lug screw to free float the barrel?

I was told you need to move it to the receiver so you have two screws there. However, my wife's Mossberg .22 LR has only one in the receiver that holds the stock on, and that's all.

Re: Free Floating By Removing Barrel Lug

i would think it is ok as long as you properly bed the action. A ruger 10/22 only has 1 action screw. give it a whirl and document the accuracy change for us.

Yeah it looks like they give you an option for tuning the barrel. There is another barrel lug location about 4" farther down the barrel (but no hole for the lug or screw in the stock). So this pressure point might aid in accuracy, and may be why her rifle has only one screw and mine has two.

So it seems like without bedding the action, it's pretty much might work, might not. Guess all I can do is give it a try and see what happens.

Scott, i have been thinking the same thing about my rifle and Im not sure if it will ruin accuracy.

I already know that your rifle shoots well as it is, I dont believe removing the barrel lug will give you any noticable difference.

In regards to bedding the action, I think it will take quiet an effort... I have looked inside my stock and there arent many regions to bed unless I built up the inside of the stock will putty in some areas.

I may try it in the future but im just worried about doing a bad job on it considering the inletting of the tacticool/TR stocks.

^ Hay Vince. Yeah I decided against it. It's shooting as accurate as my synthetic stock right now, and I have only been out with the new stock twice. I wouldn't bed the action in my synthetic stock, but with this one I am considering it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">10/22's also have a single screw in the receiver. Structurally the receiver might only need 1 screw...the low recoil doesn't always necessitate 2 action screws. The inside of the stock may also be designed to support weaker portions of the receiver. Are 2 typically better....yes....it prevents a "teeter totter" effect of the gun in the stock.</div></div>
Yep. Perfect example of why a 10/22 cannot be free-floated without bolting both the front and rear of the action to the stock. The "teeter-totter" effect (I think I originally coined that many years ago) results in the barreled action tipping forward under the weight of the barrel unless the barrel channel has adequate pressure pads or bedding to support the barrel to prevent the barreled action from tipping forward and down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pressure points in forends of the stock serve an important function. I sanded out a pressure point in a 1022 target stock thinking free floating would do wonders. It ruined what moderate accuracy it had. The B&C "annie" 10/22 stock comes with a pressure pad as well.

Sometimes I think its smarter to leave things alone...

Bedding the action into your rimfires stock might be a better alternative. </div></div>
The B & C Target / Varmint also has large support platforms in the barrel channel. My brother has an old-school (older production) 10/22T that shoots extremely well in his Target / Varmint stock. With the addition of a Kidd Two-Stage Trigger it is almost as much fun to shoot as my customer MOA Receiver'ed 10/22.

Sometimes it is smarter to leave things alone, as long as the rifle shoots well. To me, a .22 that doesn't shoot 1 MOA or better at 100 yards isn't accurate enough to own and shoot, but everyone has their own standards. Bedding the stock might be more cost-efficient way to support the barrel on a 10/22, but a stock with good barrel support would be my choice on a 10/22 because the factory stocks are lacking anyway.

Keith

I haven't bedded my 917 but I did bed my 925 and it made that gun much more consistent with cheap ammo. I don't think it improved the groups with expensive stuff but it makes CCI Blazer shoot to a level that I find acceptable.