• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Quickdraw Outlaw

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2013
16,000 yards east of KC
I'm searching for a sidearm to go with my G.A. Precision Thunder Ranch .308 bolt action rifle. (It's built like that tree stump my tractor could never pull out)

Any owners of Freedom Arms out there and thoughts on the company and customer service?

Thanks.

I doubt highly you will need their customer service. From my sample of one they are well built and shoot better then I could.

What are you looking to do? simple ownership of the BEST or...?

I've had a pair of M-83's in .454 Casull and own one of the smaller M-97's in .44 Spcl.

Amazingly well built, with similar accuracy.

I've had a few (3) and have had a Sheriffs model (3 1/2 inch barrel) on order for about 9 months now. it's dual cylinder, 45Colt and 45ACP, can't say enough good things about them, should have never sold my other ones

I'm searching for a sidearm to go with my G.A. Precision Thunder Ranch .308 bolt action rifle. (It's built like that tree stump my tractor could never pull out)

Any owners of Freedom Arms out there and thoughts on the company and customer service?

Thanks.

Their CS, at least the store CS part, is not the hand holding variety. But they helped me purchase the correct front sight insert.
with regard to my gun, I've had my '83 for over 10 years and it is amazing. The gun itself has never needed any work. Shot a deer at 120 yard once which for me was an extremely long shot.

Last edited:
Top notch handguns. I had the opportunity to meet the founder of the company one day at a gun show in SLC. Straight up "Salt of the Earth " sort of guy. We had a cabin down the road from the factory so I was chatting with him about the area and his company. I was very impressed with him. He no longer runs the company due to age but you can see why he has built such a successful firm by the way he treats every single person he talked to like he had known them for years.

My father had a FA 454 Casull that shot amazing and the local sheriff let me shoot his FA 45 Colt. Both guns were built perfect. I would agree that you will most likley never being dealing with CS.

Just my .02.

Sorry OP....I forgot to add my CS story.

Several years back I bought a used FA from GunBroker. After I got it the mainspring needed replacement as the action was simply not quite right.Seems he'd had someone "tune" it.
I ended up sending it back to FA and they replaced everything I needed, and went through the entire gun, checked everything out. ...the price was so small I forget... $30? $40?

The guns are built so stout that unless someone gets into the action and screws up the tune...very little CAN go wrong with them.

Have a Buddy in PA who has several. As a matter of fact, He just bought a new one yesterday, a custom octagon barrel mode 83 l with dual cylinders. He has visited the factory as well as had a bit of a relationship with them for several years. he has never had any issues.

I think one can buy with confidence from FA.
FN in MT

Thanks for all of the responses.

I should have phrased my customer service question better.

The current wait time is 10 months, so for me customer service starts with the first call to the company. From above, sounds like it will be great.

You'll love it, I had a Premier 454 for awhile. Regrettably Sold it last year to fund some other stuff.

try to buy it used, you take a pretty big hit if you buy new and turn it over - personally I prefer the feel of the ruger bisley and it is 1/3 the price

Back in 2012, I called and stated to the Rep that I wanted to talk application and technical specifics. She stated there are two people at the company knowledgable about handguns for bear protection, and said one of them would be in touch. Within the same day, I got a call back and had a productive conversation where we agreed on a spec. Since it was more or less a standard configuration, they did not require a deposit since (their words), "we'll sell it within a few days if you cancel".

It took awhile, but I picked up a 6" Premier Grader 475LB, and the gun is solid as a bank vault. Even the parting lines on the mating surfaces could barely be discerned.

Good luck with the decision.

Last edited:
Very nice revolvers above. Thanks for the Cove Creek tip.

By the way, Freedom Arms seems to have some type of transfer bar safety. But, their website says to have the hammer on an empty chamber. Why is that?

This thread is killing me as even though I have one on order (for about 9 months now) I'm finding myself wanting to buy another one today! Great guns, I'll always keep at least two as I have two boys and each will get one someday

Very nice revolvers above. Thanks for the Cove Creek tip.

By the way, Freedom Arms seems to have some type of transfer bar safety. But, their website says to have the hammer on an empty chamber. Why is that?

There are volumes of posts on the SA forums (people who insist on calling bullets "boolets", for some fucking reason), that detail why you should never carry a SA revolver with the hammer down on a loaded chamber. FA was sued by a guy who got the hammer caught on his jacket, and somehow wound up blowing a hole in his leg. How a transfer bar safety could have helped the situation is debatable, but he argued in court that the design of the pistol was faulty.

Bottom line: a FA model 83 - when carried - is a 4 shooter, and you just need to get comfortable with the idea. If you need more than that for animal protection, more range time is necessary. Couple this with the usual SA holster design allowing for an exposed trigger, and the idea of carrying on a loaded chamber is foolish.

http://trib.com/news/state-and-regi...cle_83806c45-56a9-5d4c-919a-2b2e4397f72b.html

Freedom Arms makes good gear, I've had an 83 in 475 for about five years now. It's hard to go wrong with them. If you want something a little more unique, take a look at the work Hamilton Bowen does:

+ Bowen Classic Arms + Home

John Linebaugh is another option for a SA big bore.

A shot of my old, original 6" , .454 FA. On top of an elk hide that was harvested with a single shot...by THAT very FA.

My M-97 a 4 1/4", .44 Special. Very accurate , light and easy to carry.

Freedom Arms?

I'm not a big hunter, but my .454 is my only field handgun. Nothing compares.

I was bidding on a used m83 in 357 a few weeks ago. It went cheap, but sadly the other guy wanted it more.

My grandfather always talked about FA revolvers and I hope to snag one up someday while he is still around to fondle it.

I was working at the Rhein Main Rod & Gun Club in the late 80's and we sold Freedom Arms revolvers for awhile. We had a display gun that was a Premier Grade 7.5in 454 and of course everyone that came in wanted to touch it. A couple of years later I was able to buy that gun and it was well broke in with all of the folks pulling the hammer back by then. It shoots great and the action is like a fine tuned clock. All I can say is when the gun is shooting off on occasions it is not the gun but the shooter.

gmsharps

My father has a Model 83 and 97 (.454 Casull and .41 Mag respectively) both in premier grade and 7 1/2" barrels. They function like timepieces and are incredibly accurate. That being said, I'm not a fan of shooting the .454 in that style of grip much.

My nephew couldn't take the recoil of the 83 and was shooting it rested off of a concrete bench (the pistol). When dad realized what was going on and grabbed it back up there was a chip and crack in the grips. Those grips are custom fit to each pistol, so dad had to send it back to FA in order to get another set of grips made. Customer service was great to him, but the new grips set him back $296 or something like that IIRC.

Hope that this helps.

I have three Model 83s. One 7.5 inch in 454 for hunting along with a 45 ACP cylinder to help keep my flinching in check. Two Silhouette models, one in 41 mag and another in 22 LR.

Some of the best money I have spent on guns by far. I have never needed their customer service dept. The 41 and 454 have both had thousands of full power ammo through them. Accuracy is still top notch.

I have fired several and a few guys at our local range (between them) have around a dozen guns, all top notch and excellent handguns.
I have never heard of any issues or complaints except for the cost or the wait.

My "high horsepower" wheel guns.
A pair of 500 S&W's one stock 8 3/8" with comp and a 6" custom / no comp.

Good God. I saw a 500 S&W at the Kansas City gun show today. Those things need wheels.

suarez_cannon.jpg

....they are not fuel efficient and you know something large was launched.....

I own 4 FA's at the moment and they are just great guns. Used to go to Germany and shoot at the Freedom Arms shoot once a year. Build like a vault and incredibly accurate. Two of my guns are in 454, one in 475 and one in .22lr (belt buckle gun). Here is a picture of three of them. I have used cs and they are great too.
20140216_000602-7.jpg

I have 2 454s. Best single action you can buy. They do comand a heafty price tag but are worth every penny. i have a 6" Premier Grade and a 7 1/2 Field grade. The 6" one is bone stock except for a couple 1000 rounds through it. Still as tight as the day it left thr factory. The other one is set up for hunting and I have used it for the last 8 years. It has sling studs, 3 1/2lb trigger, 3 ring T'sob base with a 4x scope. cant say enough about them. Once you buy one you'll be looking for another.