• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

French 8mm Mauser?

Zebra644

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2010
Ohio
I was at my local gunshop yesterday and a gentleman brought in a French saber from 1877 and a bolt action what looked to me to be an 8mm Mauser with English stamping in French. The gentleman stated that his fahter brought them back from WW2. Can any of you shed light on the mauser?

Re: French 8mm Mauser?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hsss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">need pics </div></div>
This. Or, at least, what did the stampings say? I've seen a lot of "German Mausers" that turned out to be Mosin Nagants, M1 Garands, etc.

I will try get pics. I was told that when the Germans had occupied France that the French were forced to make the rifles ? And no I know the difference between a Russian Nagant, a Mauser and a Springer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zebra308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will try get pics. I was told that when the Germans had occupied France that the French were forced to make the rifles ? And no I know the difference between a Russian Nagant, a Mauser and a Springer. </div></div>

Sorry if I came across a little harsh. I apologize.

The part that throws me is the "English stamping in French". There were K98s made in France during and just after WW2. However, that description doesn't ring any bells for me and I would have to do some research to figure out what it may possibly be. My gut feeling is that it's more likely to be Belgian (FN). Possibly a K98, or even an M24 (predecessor to K98k), but less likely to be one made under German supervision. A lot of stuff was brought back from WW2, so it's tough to say what it could be. I'm anxious to see what you find out.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zebra308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will try get pics. I was told that when the Germans had occupied France that the French were forced to make the rifles ? And no I know the difference between a Russian Nagant, a Mauser and a Springer. </div></div>

Sorry if I came across a little harsh. I apologize.

The part that throws me is the "English stamping in French". There were K98s made in France during and just after WW2. However, that description doesn't ring any bells for me and I would have to do some research to figure out what it may possibly be. My gut feeling is that it's more likely to be Belgian (FN). Possibly a K98, or even an M24 (predecessor to K98k), but less likely to be one made under German supervision. A lot of stuff was brought back from WW2, so it's tough to say what it could be. I'm anxious to see what you find out.

John </div></div>

Can you provide some further info on the French-made 98's? I've never heard of occupation era Mauser's made in France. The belgian FN's as you noted, yes(post-war), but not France.
Any info/links would be great!

Thanks

It seems that I was mistaken. They weren't actually made in France, but at Mauser, Oberndorf, under French control, after the end of the war. Most of these would be coded "SVW MB". These rifles were later used by the French, however. From all the examples I've seen, none had any French or English stamped on them.

That's correct, the French ran the Mauser plant after WWII and SVW coded firearms will usually have a French star proof. The French border guards used the K98s. The usually have a hexagon piece affixed to the nosecap then the cleaning rod. My dad had one years ago that was a very nice piece, shame he ever got rid of it.
As a side note the French also made all of the PP series Walthers after the war as well.

I am sorry I have been busy at work will try to get pics this Saturday.

Ok I was not able to get the pics for some reason my cell phone jsut did not want to work for me today. On the receiver its stamped MANUCATRUED ARMES
DE L ETAT

That's Belgian. It could be several different things. Does it have a protruding magazine housing?

No it looks just like a German Mauser but no cailbre stamp or other stamps that I have seen on the Mauser's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zebra308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No it looks just like a German Mauser but no cailbre stamp or other stamps that I have seen on the Mauser's </div></div>
What model of German Mauser?

Check this thread. Specifically post #5. Is it a M1935?

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?4187-Belgian-M-1935-7-65mm-mauser-how-scarce

Thats it you da man Joop. Its for sale for $150.00

I'll have to do some more research. If I'm not mistaken, it could be chambered in 7.65 Argentine, 7x57, or 8x57. I'll have to narrow it down and there still may be more than one caliber option. These are a little out of my normal knowledge base.

Forgot to add; for $150, I would buy it, even as a wall hanger. However, I have a thing for Mausers. But, I know they're not exactly common, so it's probably worth at least that, if not quite a bit more, especially if it has a decent bore and has not been bubba'd in any way.