• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

French Built helicopters-want one?

Re: French Built helicopters-want one?

You know.. French tanks have 5 reverse gears and 1 forward gear in case they are attacked from behind!!

Why in the hell was that guy still filming? If that was me, I wouldn't have sat and watched waiting for a blade to come cut me in half...

Most helicopters that size don't have rotor brakes.

Any number of causes for ground resonance, but I'd be thinking of an out of phase rotor blade, depending upon the type of rotor blade system in use.

It's called ground induced resonance and it is bad juju for any helicopter. I can't tell if it was pilot induced or something broke in the gear box. I can guarantee that pilot was doing everything he could to slow down the rotor and that's why he had a pile of junk left at the end and not dead people. I was taught that if you have pilot induced ground resonance that you had one maybe two oscillations to do something about it...grab some collective and get off of the ground. Or go ahead and start dialing your insurance agent as the craft vibrates apart around you.

If something broke and the pilot heard it, and that's why he slammed it back down then he deserves a medal for saving some folks.

ANY helicopter ever made is capable of this failure, not just French ones.

just watched another video that said it was upon landing so my guess would be it was pilot induced. Video does not show it but he likely set one skid down first and then when he cut the throttle he bounced the other one... then the oscillation set up. That's about where the video starts. Since he had already started his shutdown flow, throttling up and grabbing some collective was probably not something that crossed his mind... until he was drinking heavily later that night. Poor guy, at least nobody was hurt.

That brought back memories of dodging rotor shrapnel...
Worked at a little airfield in Garberville Ca. Guy had a rotorway exec and was test flying it. Well the battery has to be in the nose when flying solo and you move it behind the cockpit with a passenger.
Needless to say he forgot to move the batt and him and his girlfriend tried to take off.
The thing nosed over and proceded to roll itself up in a ball of junk while I tried to hide behind a 2x4 hearing shrapnel hitting around me.. No one was hurt amazingly. Good times!

No, no it is not.

The TH-55-A (Hughes 300) in which many of us took our primary flight training, was prone to ground resonance.

But it was a fine flying little bird.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cstmwrks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most helicopters that size don't have rotor brakes.

</div></div>
Oh come on! it's a FRENCH helicopter! It has to have a rotor brake to assist in a faster surrender!

Anyhow my only real point is shaking itself apart is NOT exclusive to French designs. </div></div>

Helps avoid the shame.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, no it is not.

The TH-55-A (Hughes 300) in which many of us took our primary flight training, was prone to ground resonance.

But it was a fine flying little bird. </div></div>

Killer, damn straight! It was a fun one! Class 83-37 Light Blue. You?

I've been around some French designed/made high volume production machinery, and if I could ever get my hands on a French engineer I'd choke the damn shit out of him.

The French copy no one, and no one copies the French...........

A couple of decades ago I watched an American made CH-46E destroy itself due to ground resonance; it can happen to any helicopter, regardless of country of origin. Since then I regularly spend a couple of hours a month in an AS350 like the one in the video, and did so yesterday. A great ship, the most popular helo of its size for the money and no American made equivalent has ever been made, which is why you see so many of them.

i love my Eurotrash birds.

185468_10150737092370157_731825156_19981383_194539_n.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpiritZeroThree</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i love my Eurotrash birds.

185468_10150737092370157_731825156_19981383_194539_n.jpg
</div></div>

I've always wanted to fly one of those.

Many years ago I was working on a Dassault Mirage 111-0, we were trying to replace the water seperator in the cockpit aircon system. There was no way that it was going to fit through the access panel that the manual said to use. In desperation I went to the original French manuals, (our manuals had apparently been translated by university students, I thought they may have missed something), the actual translation was "Remove the water seperator through the access panel utilising the natural elasticity of the airframe". The last part had been left out of the translation. What it meant was get a couple of tire levers and make the damn thing fit through the hole.

smile.gif
Sounds like copy from Russian manuals "if part doesn't fit use bigger hammer to fix"