• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Fresh Sockeye

UgashikBob

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2005
Outlet Lower Ugashik Lake AK
The first fish of the run is always good but a few hours from water to plate makes it even better.
06292011-3.jpg

06292011-4.jpg

06292011-5.jpg

06292011-6.jpg

Re: Fresh Sockeye

that looks awesome.
what seasoning on the fish?

I'm interested to know more about the top "bite sized" version. How is that done, I've caught and cooked my share of sockeye but have never seen that method.

Please tell me more!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm interested to know more about the top "bite sized" version. How is that done, I've caught and cooked my share of sockeye but have never seen that method.

Please tell me more! </div></div>

Indeed.

It looks as if a very sharp pairing knife was used there, but that's some handywork for sure!

I've got a salmon share from redsalmon on the way I'll be giving this a try
smile.gif

that is awesome..I miss the days in Alaska except for the Fairbanks winters.

Beautiful fish both in the water and on the plate.

It makes me miss my time gillnetting in southeast.

OK here is my go at documenting the recipes from my bride.

The Upper Rain Gutter Liner bite size version:

After cutting to the skin in the diamond pattern shown marinate for two hours in a plastic bag with a brine of 3/4 cup Apricot sauce,1 tblsp of sesame seed oil, 2 tblsp of olive oil, and 1 tsp of ginger. Massage bag at first then roll bag every ten minutes. Grill till done with fillet draped over the rain gutter liner.

The lower Cedar/Alder plank version
Presoak cedar/alder plank one hour in plain water. Ad equel parts Tones Salmon & Seafood seasoning and Weber dry rub Sweet and Savory Salmon seasoning. Grill till done.

The beauty to me is it doesn't taste like salmon.

Out standing - thanks for posting!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UgashikBob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK here is my go at documenting the recipes from my bride.

After cutting to the skin in the diamond pattern shown marinate for two hours in a plastic bag with a brine of 3/4 cup Apricot sauce,1 tblsp of sesame seed oil, 2 tblsp of olive oil, and 1 tsp of ginger. Massage bag at first then roll bag every ten minutes. Grill till done with fillet draped over the rain gutter liner.

Presoak cedar/alder plank one hour in plain water. Ad equel parts Tones Salmon & Seafood seasoning and Weber dry rub Sweet and Savory Salmon seasoning. Grill till done.

</div></div>

Good eats, Bob. The reds here are not as big as the example above but are just as delicious. I too have been anticipating the years first run and the bounty that comes with it. We have been fortunate to get some early Kings in as well and they can't resist the Sockeye eggs so I too am eating well. Keep the pictures coming, you have the knack for quality photos.

Our sockeye will not compare to Bob's but we get it fresh here, occasionally someone will bring me one.

We used an orange juice marinade, I grow my own Thine and will shred up a bit of that, added 1-2 tbsps of lemon juice and coat heavily.

15 mins on the barbie and it falls off the bone!!!

Caught some silvers on Afognak island a couple years ago, grilled with wasabi paste and soy sauce. That was some good grub, washed down with some mothers milk...... we almost had to charter an extra float plan to carry all the scotch.

AfognakAlaskaJuly17202008318.jpg

Hello Bob!
Glad to see your reds are in. We have about 3 weeks till they should hit. Lookin' forward to some fresh Kenai fish as well.
Nice pics as always and good luck on future fishing.

MH:
I miss the time I spent in SE also. Used to fish the Haines King derby every year when I worked in Juneau. Trolling for Kings while scoping for black bear was hard to beat. A 20lb sivler down there wasn't that big a deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UgashikBob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK here is my go at documenting the recipes from my bride.

</div></div>

thank you.

will have to try this.

Your best bet is to hook up with a decent guide, the silvers should be running strong. The fly out day trips are very popular out of Soldotna to the west side of Cook Inlet, a good chance to see brown bears too. There will also be more variety at Valdez in the salt water. They catch some big salmon sharks in that neck of the woods.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UgashikBob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MH:
I miss the time I spent in SE also. Used to fish the Haines King derby every year when I worked in Juneau. Trolling for Kings while scoping for black bear was hard to beat. A 20lb sivler down there wasn't that big a deal. </div></div>

The tourney this year wasn't actually all that impressive. I think the winning fish was only 35" or something like that. I didn't do so well, but at least I didn't get skunked. As always it was a pretty good time
grin.gif

We do see some impressive Silvers. Of course you couldn't PAY me to be on the river this weekend. Canada Day weekend and ALL the Yukoners are down...
mad.gif

It wasn't that crowded on the water 20 years ago except during the derby's but like everything thing else I imagine that has changed. What I liked about SE back then was the real Alaska was only as far as the boat ramp.

Very nice Bob,

I am going to try the rain gutter recipe on the 4th! looks great.

I am on Kodiak, just killed them with the gill net last week. Got my 100 reds for the year, now its pinks for the kids until the silvers hit.

I am about to take a batch out of the brine, will let them tack up over night then into the smoker tomorrow.

Alaska is a great place to live.

OMG, if you guys ever have a piece that you want to mail to somebody who LOVES smoked salmon, Im your guy..

lol

CH

DT:
I got tired of the salmon taste a long time ago and I think you will agree after you try the rain gutter thing that it just doesn't taste like salmon. More like a good steak. The two of us usually eat 2/3 of a large fillet for supper than I eat the other 1/3 cold for breakfast. I would rank it right up there with halibut and almost as good as ling cod.

That rain gutter looks good. I'd take a silver over sockeye and king anyday. But I never turn anything down. And yes going from swimming to the grill with in 20 minutes makes for wonderful dinners. We are lucky enough to have plenty of relatives that fish commercially so our freezer is kept stocked too.

I am not sure about what is best. It's usually what we had the last.

Now days we have been eating allot of salmon and dungeness crab.

Bob, very nice fillets, I can tell you have done many fish in. I just have one issue, where are those sockeye bellies? You didn't throw away the best smoking meat on the whole fish did you? Some don't like em, but I think the oily bellies and collars are the ticket!

MSD:
We save the bellies and smoke them all at once in strips. BTW you know the coloration of real wild salmon but I never touched the color except for white balance when I processed these in Lightroom as most people that buy salmon in the grocery store do not know the true color. Most of the farmed fish get what little color they do have from the pellets they are fed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UgashikBob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MSD:
BTW you know the coloration of real wild salmon but I never touched the color except for white balance when I processed these in Lightroom as most people that buy salmon in the grocery store do not know the true color. Most of the farmed fish get what little color they do have from the pellets they are fed. </div></div>
My dad confessed to grilling up a piece of farmed Atlantic Salmon not too long ago. I promptly sent him a wax box and made him promise never to do it again! Trying out the apricot glaze on a fresh white king caught over your way in Whale Pass this afternoon. The grill is warming up right now, homemade alder charcoal.

Those are some beautiful fillets! Can't get that rich color down here in TN, what we get is more of a chalky pink color when cooked....kinda like pepto. I imagine our "fresh" salmon is most likely several days old if not frozen. Keep livin' the dream!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UgashikBob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First batch for the smoker.
07022011-1.jpg

07022011-2.jpg
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan27</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Those are some beautiful fillets! Can't get that rich color down here in TN, what we get is more of a chalky pink color when cooked....kinda like pepto. I imagine our "fresh" salmon is most likely several days old if not frozen. Keep livin' the dream!

[ </div></div>
Your "fresh" supermarket display case fish are pretty old and beat by the time they get there and frozen at least once. Pm me and I'll ship you a jar or two of smoked sockeye. I take pride in handling my fish properly.

nice fish...no sockeye in Lake Michigan but we get our share of Kings and Cohos for the table. Very few 30+ pounders like you guys though...

Great, now Im hungry again.

Those look great, way better than the small little trout that I smoked this weekend.

I'll be heading down to the Kenai River to pick me up some reds next week. Can't wait to whoop up on some and prep. them for the smoker and the grill. Here's a pic of the 50 lb King I caught this year up on the Kashwitna River here in Alaska.BTW: I'm 6'5" tall so the fish doesn't really too impressive next to me.

[img:center]
0092.jpg
[/img]