• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Frog Lube blahed my gun

derk

Diggler
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2018
I have a CZ P-07 with a CGW trigger kit I bought used, has one of my favorite trigger breaks but the gun had literally no audible or tactile reset. I'm pretty sure I froglubed it the day i bought it. Long story short, I picked up a bottle of EWL slip 2000 based off recommendations on here. Cleaned all the froglube out and applied slip a few days ago. Did this to all 7 pistolas and the rifles. Dry fired today for shits and giggles and the reset in the P-07 is totally back and actually really awesome. I mean I took serious points off using the gun because of the almost complete lack of reset. Went from mushy nothingness to loud and tactile. I think it has to do with the fact it the froglube gets so gunky. I didn't even use the froglube paste, it was the liquid type.

NOTE: I know I mentioned a pistol but I figured this applied to all firearms/equipment hence posting it here. Please move if I'm wrong

NOTE 2: "Blahed" - simple past tense and past participle of blah

NOTE 3: the P-07 with the CGW trigger was the only one that apparently was negatively affected out of all my pistols so, there's still that

I thought it was commonly known by now that Frog Lube is just repackaged coconut oil or something and really not great for guns.
I've used left over Mobil 1 for years and it's great. Started using Lucas Extreme when they started handing it out at matches, also great stuff.

Yeah I tried frog lube on my bolt guns to prevent rust. It melts off when the barrel gets hot and it attracts dust. Its supposed to be water repellant and a rust preventative, but I found light films of rust on my blued barrel, so i'm not impressed and will be switching to something else.

Lucas oil has been great in my AR btw.

I tried froglube once...

Made my VP9 not want to go into battery after like 400 rounds. Scratched my head because I’ve gone several thousand rounds when using EWL. Touched the barrel and it was sticky to the touch. Even did their full regimen of degreasing and followed everything to the T. Checked out other guns that I had done it too, and they were sticky too. Removed ALL the froglube, and went back to EWL, haven’t had a stoppage since

Reactions: Mike4837
You can buy a quart of Mobil1 oil and a tub of Lubriplate grease that will both last you years upon years for less than 1 spray bottle of FrogLube.

This. Also tried some extra 75w90 left over from a diff oil change once and it stayed in place until I didn't want it there, but you get that gear oil smell every time you pull the trigger...

I did the heat up a Glock pistol barrel and then rub the paste version on and it soaked in. Wiped off excess. I think it did slicken up the barrel a bit. I tried the same with a BCG and it did gum the mafugger all up. You have to pick and choose where to use it but overall I don't get it as a CLP as the label states.

1) if frog lube ruined your gun....you are a fucking moron who cant read directions.

2) just buy a bottle of 10w30 and be done with it.

I have a bottle/tub of the stuff but have been saving it for when I get my can. I've heard that I can soak the internals of suppressors in it and it makes it easier to clean. Other than that, I'm good with slik2k or any other basic oils.

I'v got the wole set......liquid, paste.....what ever else was in the tube......used it once........anyone want's it speak up, and pay shipping, or it'll end up in the trash.....

Frog Lube is basically coconut oil. I'm not fond of it...use good gun oil of yer choice or grease if that works for ya. I have been using Breakfree CLP for 40 ish years and never had rust or problems in pistols nor rifles.

VooDoo

Your slip 2000 will be just great.
Dump the frog lube on your buddy.
If your shooting something other than a CZ dump them also. Lol. J/K. 92G will work also.

Reactions: derk
SLIP 2000s awesome. I use it on everything including my duck guns. We hunt saltwater which is notorious for fucking up gear. SLIP keeps everything rust free and happy.

I use Lucas gun lube, I had a similar problem with frog lube in my Competition Glock, made it it straight up gross and awful.

1) if frog lube ruined your gun....you are a fucking moron who cant read directions.

2) just buy a bottle of 10w30 and be done with it.

You're an ignant helmet... that is all

You can buy a quart of Mobil1 oil and a tub of Lubriplate grease that will both last you years upon years for less than 1 spray bottle of FrogLube.

But Frog Lube has the word "Frog" in its name and therefore must be associated with SEALs and from that it is deduced that its the absolute best product out there for guns.

Mobil One and Lubriplate only conjures up images of guys in truckers hats and gay sex.......respectively......not together.........unless you are in a rest area.

Reactions: Novak77 and derk
Frog Lube and colder temperatures is an awful combination, I bought a small pack to test as it was sold at every IPSC match I went to so figured everyone used it. Lubed the CZ Shadow with it, and put it in the gun locker in the basement for a couple of weeks. In the winter it is about 5 degrees Celcius down there, when I took the CZ out and did a function test the slide stuck half-way. It felt and sounded like someone had poured very fine sand into it, very gritty stuff. When I cleaned it out thorougly and put some Slip 2000 EWG on instead, everything was silky smooth. Never again.

Reactions: Shadow knows
never understood the complication with using "special" lubricants for a firearm, which is basically a bunch
of machined metal.............kind of like a simplified engine.

If it's good enough to lubricate a corvette engine at high rpm's i'm pretty sure it's ok for your glock.

10w30........done

Reactions: E. Bryant
You're an ignant helmet... that is all
no im just not autistic and i know how to read instructions

ive run frog lube in well below freezing, in sandy dusty conditions, and several hundreds of rounds between cleaning.....never had a single issue in any firearm ive run it in.

is it my preferred lube?....no.....i said many times that lube choice really doesnt fucking matter, and i usually run 10w30.

frankly if you are having lube related failures....you are on the spectrum.

Reactions: Spblademaker
no im just not autistic and i know how to read instructions

ive run frog lube in well below freezing, in sandy dusty conditions, and several hundreds of rounds between cleaning.....never had a single issue in any firearm ive run it in.

is it my preferred lube?....no.....i said many times that lube choice really doesnt fucking matter, and i usually run 10w30.

frankly if you are having lube related failures....you are on the spectrum.

So everyone that posted they also had issues with froglube is autistic.... sounds like something someone from froglube would say ?

Instructions or not, FrogLube blows and that was the point of my post. I don’t think reading the instructions will change the fact it’s literally just coconut oil. If it’s going to impede the function of the gun if slightly too much is used, it shouldn’t be even be considered as an option.

Also, I didn’t mention a single failure so I don’t know where you’re getting that from... I said it muted the sound & feel of it’s reset.

Last edited:
So everyone that posted they also had issues with froglube is autistic...

magic-8-ball-all-signs-point-to-yes.png

This. Also tried some extra 75w90 left over from a diff oil change once and it stayed in place until I didn't want it there, but you get that gear oil smell every time you pull the trigger...
That’s just horrible, I can’t imagine intentionally putting gear oil on something I’d be handling. Lube is cheap, find something less stanky!

That’s just horrible, I can’t imagine intentionally putting gear oil on something I’d be handling. Lube is cheap, find something less stanky!

Yes, hence the "once" in my post. Thought I would give it a try for something that would last a long time and underestimated long much I would smell it. I guess ATF would have been worse.

Im on board with the motor oil lube.

Once out of EWL or whatever I currently use Ill be buying by the 1/4 at much cheaper per ounce prices.

My brain tells me to go diesel rated when I do expecting compression motors and the detergents added to deal with diesel will exceed any hell a gun goes through.

Stay wet my friends.

Ive used frog lube alot and never had a problem. I live in Arizona though? I really like it. I quit using it just because I've read so many stories like above. Slip EWL now, doesnt seem any better or worse? I would not be afraid to go back to Frog Lube though. I always used the paste. Super slippery stuff.

I bought a bottle of frog lube when it first came out. Actually, I bought the kit, with the liquid and the paste. That first bottle of frog lube was great. It was just like they said in the add copy. I misplaced that bottle and bought a second. This one was different, and was purchased after the first brouhaha over froglube gunking up weapons in cold weather. I believe there was a reformulation. I could tell. The liquid was lower viscosity, but also had undisolved particulates in it- I assume coconut oil not dissolved into the matrix. Anyway, that was a disaster. It “blahed” a couple of my guns too. I lubed a glock just like I had with that first bottle and put it away for a while. Pulling the pistol out of the safe a few months later, the slide was noticeably sluggish. Pulling the pistol apart, the lubed surfaces were sticky. I had a similar experinc with an ar15. I now have a small fine lane applicator bottle full of mobile1 synthetic that I use for gun lube. I still put a few drops of frog lube on a bore snake and pull it through my rifles every few hundred rounds, but it is not my go to lube.

I’m pretty sure most men, and all scientists, exist somewhere on ”the spectrum,” so I’ll claim guilty as charged. If it works for you, great. It’s no skin off my nose what you use to lube your guns. I’m just sharing my experience.

Mobile 1 is almost 15% detergent. Serves no real purpose outside of a combustion engine, where it does what its formulated to do.

I’ve got an M&P 22 pistol with well over 3000 documented rounds through it. Bought new, stripped, treated with Frog Lube (following the instructions), and shot here in CT in all manners of weather and conditions. Hasn’t been cleaned yet.

When needed a few drops of liquid Frog Lube were added to the slide rails and barrel.

It started to have FTF failures right around 2200 rounds and for no other reason than the inside of the slide and barrel chamber area desperately need to be cleaned.

Have not had a single issue with ‘blah’ happening to any of the other guns that I’ve treated and continue to lube with Frog Lube. It’s been the best treatment for removing surface rust on tools and dies that have been neglected and also as a non-petroleum based preventative treatment to tools and dies.

The stuff may very well be re-packaged nut oil of some form or fashion...it has not proven in my usage to be as fraught with problems as others experiences have been.

Yeah, frog lube has directions that must be followed, and it is unlike other lubes in application. If you slather it on like you would any other lube, it will gum up and "blah" your gun. I was an adherent for a while- until I got lazy and my glock started acting like it had elmers glue in the rails. Supposedly, as posted above, it is great if you follow the directions. Ain't nobody got time fo' dat. Mobile1 Synthetic. Smear some on and go shoot. Go home and the fouling wipes off (must be those unnecessary detergents). I don't even use "gun cleaners" on semi auto rifle BCGs shot suppressed. The fouling wipes off. Yeah, they are dirty, but then they are clean. Smear some more Mobile1 on the whole works and go shoot again. Doesn't need to be drippy, just wet.