• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear Frogg Toggs Durability

beetroot

Old Salt
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2018
Having shot my last three competitions in either passing rain or bitter cold wind I've found myself wanting some lightweight, compact, 100% water and windproof rain gear I can keep in my pack at all times.

In theory Frogg Toggs are exactly what I want and are so cheap it should be a no brainer, but every review I've read suggests they durability is so bad after 1 or 2 uses they'll be trashed.

Is there something else comparable that is compact and lightweight but is more durable?
I don't need something breathable that I can hike in, just something to keep out the wind and rain as I stand out in weather most normal people would have sought shelter in.

Frogg Toggs are what we recommend to our Boy Scouts. These kids certainly get more than 1-2 uses, but honestly we're concerned first and foremost with having something, anything, and secondarily that they don't blow a ton of money on something they'll soon outgrow.

For an adult, I'd really recommend at least a quality rain jacket (rain pants are optional in many situations). I currently use the Outdoor Research Motive:

Picked it up for something like $150 a few years ago, and it's been used frequently during every month of the year because Midwest weather works that way. Honestly, it's the single piece of outerwear that I'd prioritize. I can get through a typical winter day with a crappy jacket and layering, but staying comfortable in wet conditions from 32°F to 85°F is way more difficult.

Frogg Toggs are what we recommend to our Boy Scouts. These kids certainly get more than 1-2 uses, but honestly we're concerned first and foremost with having something, anything, and secondarily that they don't blow a ton of money on something they'll soon outgrow.

For an adult, I'd really recommend at least a quality rain jacket (rain pants are optional in many situations). I currently use the Outdoor Research Motive:

Picked it up for something like $150 a few years ago, and it's been used frequently during every month of the year because Midwest weather works that way. Honestly, it's the single piece of outerwear that I'd prioritize. I can get through a typical winter day with a crappy jacket and layering, but staying comfortable in wet conditions from 32°F to 85°F is way more difficult.
I do have a few good waterproof jackets that I wear for hiking and the like.
I'm looking for something that is 100% water proof (so basically plastic) that will keep me dry that's small enough to always keep in my pack (so effectively frogg toggs that don't fall to pieces).

Reason I ask is earlier in the year I shot a match that was ridiculously wet, when we left our vehicles the weather was on but once we started shooting it the heavens opened.
It twas the most wet I had ever been in my life as under normal circumstances a normal person would've gone and sought shelter. The match was very nearly called off but most guys were happy to keep shooting so it carried on.

Most guys wet weather gear failed (especially their pants), I had a good jacket that kept my top half dry but my both half was soaked through.
Basically the only wet weather up to the task was the yellow plasticy stuff you'd see fisherman wearing or the high vis type stuff road workers would wear, but most of this gear is pretty thick and heavy. Not really the kind of gear I'd carry around frequently.

I seem to have bad luck with matches were we get caught in the rain. Never enough to ruin my day, but having something in my pack (water proof pants is what I usually lack) would just make for a more pleasant experience.

Having shot my last three competitions in either passing rain or bitter cold wind I've found myself wanting some lightweight, compact, 100% water and windproof rain gear I can keep in my pack at all times.

In theory Frogg Toggs are exactly what I want and are so cheap it should be a no brainer, but every review I've read suggests they durability is so bad after 1 or 2 uses they'll be trashed.

Is there something else comparable that is compact and lightweight but is more durable?
I don't need something breathable that I can hike in, just something to keep out the wind and rain as I stand out in weather most normal people would have sought shelter in.
I have been using rain gear from Duluth.
If you keep an eye out you can usually snag them at a 50-60% discount.

09960F7E-6447-44C5-8F24-18A4AC884E4F.png

Ive always been grateful when someone loans me a set of frog toggs when the rain starts coming down. Kept me dry.
If you are just standing around waiting for a stage they will be just fine. If you are running through the woods like rambo there are probably better choices.

I have been using Frogg Toggs for local PRS matches for 5 or 6 years and am on my second set. Their durability really depends on the terrain you are using them in. Here in the Midwest we are shooting on square ranges and usually not humping through thorns or sticker bushes so they do ok. For more severe terrain I use a set of Helly Hansen rain jacket and bibs.

As others have said, they are fine for standing around. I had 2 sets for a while that ended up tearing in the crotch and knees just getting into and out of normal shooting positions on wet days.

Sportsman’s Warehouse has their own brand of rainproof hunting gear called Killik, more affectionately known as wish.com Sitka. It’s reasonably inexpensive for tops/bottoms but it’s held up pretty well for a couple of guys here in the Northeast over the last year or so. Looks legit, works well, and has held up to some pretty miserable conditions. Highly recommend getting into a setup like that ~$200.

I used to use these during many backcountry treks in the past and still use the rain pants when I need some. They're cheap and won't cause you to over heat when moving. They are amazingly good aside from durability. I would just duct tape them back together when I would make a tear in them. They decently block wind.

If you are planning to beat the piss out of them there are better options, but as a just in case the toggs are hard to beat.

Frog Toggs are shit, if you don't want to spend big money get some North Face rain gear or something along those lines that's packable/compressible

Arc Teryx is the gold standard but you'll pay for it

Reactions: beetroot
Even a trash bag isn’t 200%. Breathable waterproof will eventually saturate if the rain is hard enough, and then you’re wet. A trash bag won’t saturate, but you’ll get wet from the inside out.

Light weight and durable aren’t compatible. Frog toggs are probably a good “just in case” measure. I’ve had a couple sets of Cabelas ‘space rain gear’ that are reasonably durable, breathable, packable, and waterproof. Cost isn’t outrageous, but not disposable level.

The space rain isn’t breathable enough for strenuous activity. You’ll soak from sweat if hiking while wearing it in all but the coldest conditions a recreational outdoorsman will want to hike in. I’ve been in storms hard enough that it saturated and I soaked from the outside in. South Texas vegetation will eventually shred it. But, it packs small, is light weight, and wears better than a hefty sack.

I do have a few good waterproof jackets that I wear for hiking and the like.
I'm looking for something that is 100% water proof (so basically plastic) that will keep me dry that's small enough to always keep in my pack (so effectively frogg toggs that don't fall to pieces).

Reason I ask is earlier in the year I shot a match that was ridiculously wet, when we left our vehicles the weather was on but once we started shooting it the heavens opened.
It twas the most wet I had ever been in my life as under normal circumstances a normal person would've gone and sought shelter. The match was very nearly called off but most guys were happy to keep shooting so it carried on.

Most guys wet weather gear failed (especially their pants), I had a good jacket that kept my top half dry but my both half was soaked through.
Basically the only wet weather up to the task was the yellow plasticy stuff you'd see fisherman wearing or the high vis type stuff road workers would wear, but most of this gear is pretty thick and heavy. Not really the kind of gear I'd carry around frequently.

I seem to have bad luck with matches were we get caught in the rain. Never enough to ruin my day, but having something in my pack (water proof pants is what I usually lack) would just make for a more pleasant experience.

How about a US Army surplus poncho?

I dunno man, going to hard to beat an entire Frogg Toggs rain suit (top/bottom) for only $23-$29 bucks that works perfect for standing around in the rain, weighs not much, and packs small.

Compared to a $400 goretex rain suit that’s like what, 13+ Frogg Toggs?

Otherwise MontBell used to make really flyweight rain gear. Check out Zpacks too as their stuff is lightweight-focused. But light stuff tends to rip easily.

It’s like the old saw: Light, durable-enough, rainproof. Pick two.

Last edited:
Frogg Toggs are shit. Bought some for a range day in the rain, shit ripped within five minutes and i was soaking wet and freezing for the remainder of the night. Spend the money and get something that doesn't suck.

Thanks, never thought about that, it wouldn't keep legs dry but certainly easy to put on in a hurry and useful for other things.
I'll look into what options are available.

I don't intend to go crashing through bush in these wet weathers but they do need to be able to survive the acutal shooting part of a match.
I'm thinking the frogg toggs would be a no go, I don't see the pants holding up to a day of sitting, kneeling, potentially running etc.

I'm thinking I'll try an Poncho and 308 has suggested, that along with my usual jackets would probably work well.
There seems to be very little in the way of pants other than frogg toggs, I guess for most uses keeping your core warm and dry is the main concern.
And most normal people aren't standing in a field for hours when it's pissing with rain.

Reactions: carbonbased
I don't intend to go crashing through bush in these wet weathers but they do need to be able to survive the acutal shooting part of a match.
I'm thinking the frogg toggs would be a no go, I don't see the pants holding up to a day of sitting, kneeling, potentially running etc.

I'm thinking I'll try an Poncho and 308 has suggested, that along with my usual jackets would probably work well.
There seems to be very little in the way of pants other than frogg toggs, I guess for most uses keeping your core warm and dry is the main concern.
And most normal people aren't standing in a field for hours when it's pissing with rain.
My Frogg Togg pants ripped from crotch to knee the first or second time I took a knee. I didn't put them through any sort of hard use whatsoever.

That's what I use for a shooting mat lol. Last time I wore it in the rain my whole front side was soaked the rain just went in the front of the neck. Granted it was 2-3"/hour down pour.

That's what I use for a shooting mat lol. Last time I wore it in the rain my whole front side was soaked the rain just went in the front of the neck. Granted it was 2-3"/hour down pour.

I can't imagine why you would expect a poncho to be waterproof when you lay on it and grind it into the dirt.

My Frogg Togg pants ripped from crotch to knee the first or second time I took a knee. I didn't put them through any sort of hard use whatsoever.

I've heard that way too often to consider them anything but a one-time disposable item

There's plenty of outdoor wet weather pants. Hell if you're staying with military surplus, the US Army used to issue (or still does IDK) something called EWCS clothing (extreme weather clothing system) that included a gore-tex parka and overtrousers.

Ah, I see and agree about the kneeling and getting up from a shooting mat and ripping. Skip the Froggies. I was taking your text to literally heart when responding (standing).

Going to be hard to find light, super packable, and tough.

Last edited:
+1 without remembering taking a knee.

the pants are literal ***t

I still have the jacket and use it over my normal rain jacket for heavy rain

Ponchos are cool btw

There's plenty of outdoor wet weather pants. Hell if you're staying with military surplus, the US Army used to issue (or still does IDK) something called EWCS clothing (extreme weather clothing system) that included a gore-tex parka and overtrousers.
I have an army surplus goretex jacket which is really good, 100% waterproof and windproof, and hardwearing but doesn't fold up particularly small which is what I am mostly looking for.
I don't tend to wear over trousers unless it is exceptionally wet, so these will be carried considerably more than they are worn.
I think I'll just have to go looking through all the camping shops and see what/if anything exists.

It's a shame Frogg Toggs are so damn thin, I get that they are meant to be ultra light and compact but if they can't tolerate even an ounce of "abuse" then they're a bit worthless.

I have an arcteryx rain jacket and a pair of Mountain Hdwr rain pants. Yes, they are quite costly but they are of the highest quality and fairly light. Both companies make "packable" attire which is indeed very light and rolls up very small.

Might not be what you want...but the quality is there in these products, IMO.

Maybe Crye has something since they make stuff for the military. But the prices are stratospheric.

The best use for frog toggs is places where you don't expect rain, and accept they are disposable, and if they fail, you won't be stuck outside all day in the rain freezing wet, but still want to be prepared and won't be doing anything "serious" IE you won't be laying on the ground, running, getting into and out of prone on rough surfaces, etc. They always fail one of 2 ways, either a seam tears if you're too active, or if you get a rip/tear somewhere it just shreds from that point. I'd never use them for a PRS match where I'm getting into odd positions, onto/off the ground etc. multiple times.

I keep a set in the truck just in case and it works fine for running into a store, changing a tire etc. I've used it as a rain jacket hiking in cold weather over a normal jacket, but I'd never want to wear it doing any sort of activity in warmer weather. There are just much better options, I think of them as a slightly better option than a $3 plastic department store poncho....which are probably $10 now.

That said, there's probably no cheaper, or even close to as cheap as $30 for a jacket/pants that's also breathable, as long as the use takes into account it's delicate nature :)

Reactions: carbonbased