• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing frogg toggs, what do you think?

Re: frogg toggs, what do you think?

Mine are awesome. I bought a set a few months ago for the motorcycle, and since I've had them it's yet to rain on me! How's that for kick-ass rain gear?!?! They're so bad-ass that the rain doesn't even try.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine are awesome. I bought a set a few months ago for the motorcycle, and since I've had them it's yet to rain on me! How's that for kick-ass rain gear?!?! They're so bad-ass that the rain doesn't even try. </div></div>

lol thats always the way it works. does it make a lot of noise when you move in them?

I dunno, Jay. I haven't used them more than trying them on, then stuffing them in my saddle bag. I know they're pretty popular in the motorcycle world, can't comment on hunting application.

My friend did ride from Alabama to Colorado for almost a month, and he said his kept him dry, even in pretty hard rain.

Haven't had that good of luck with them. Had a buddy wearing a set duck hunting with me. It rained. I got soaked thru a Columbia 4n1 duck parka, saved by a Simms fleece w/Goretex under it. He got serious hypothermia, to where he was incoherent in the boat riding back. Had plenty of clothes on, but wet thru and thru.

About a dozen of us had issues with those Columbia parkas. Got a Gore-tex Beretta one now. Accept no substitutes for the real deal. I think the frog togs would be OK for occasional use in moderate weather ( not possibility of hypothermia ), like on the boat in the summer.

Jay, you duck hunt much?

Mikee....that's really odd.

Frog Toggs are (from my experience) very waterproof. I've had several sets that I ride in and that i take on pack trips to Colorado elk hunting. Never in the last 10yrs of riding, hunting, fishing have I ever got wet with them on. Was your buddy hypothermic from the cold or was he actually wet as well? That doesn't sound right at all, if they were real Frogg Toggs.

I have had great luck with them. Only problem is they arent that tough and i usually rip out a knee in a few days. They are loud to walk in. They feel like tyvek(sp?) shipping bags you get from the post office.

Yes, I forgot to add that.....they are a bit noisy if your in a hunting situation.

They are not too bad. They are made from in the town I grew up in. If you are looking for an inexpensive way to stay dry, this is it. They are not very durable though.

For good quality rain gear get some Sitka Gear or Rivers West.

Good info on here. My inlaws gave me a set for Christmas, and I haven't tried them out yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had great luck with them. Only problem is they arent that tough and i usually rip out a knee in a few days. They are loud to walk in. They feel like tyvek(sp?) shipping bags you get from the post office. </div></div>X2 on the NON durable. Me and my brother blew the ass out of both of our pairs about a week into the first tournament we were pre-fishing for.

X2 on them being loud as hell, would be ok for duck hunting while wearing them over other stuff. Just don't bend over in them haha.

They do keep you very dry FOR A FEW HOURS in heavy rain.

If money is an issue but you want to be dry I'd recommend getting the oldschool rubber style bib overalls with a frogg toggs jacket. Just take it easy on the jacket too, briars will shred them.

Don't plan on sneaking up on anything like a deer in them, unless you are really good at walking like this dude...

randy_1310755186.jpg

In my experience (FWIW) of 8 years fishing tournaments no matter what the weather- Oldschool rubber rainsuits are the ONLY thing that will keep you dry if its raining hard all day, unless its hot then you sweat to death. If its hot just wear baggies (swim shorts) and be wet. Maybe there is a $500 plus jacket out there that stays dry even in hard rain all day and is breathable but I never found the spare money to give that a shot.

Watch Deadliest catch, get what they have on if its going to be cold and wet all day.

Frogg Toggs are not bad for light duty, stalking game animals that were born without ears and maybe two good hours of heavy rain. Anything more than that and they fall to shit and fail.

I'll echo the comments about them being loud. Just tried them on in a local sporting goods store and decided to pass because of the material. Is it possible to find quiet rain gear though? I've just started looking around for some.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mikee Booshay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Haven't had that good of luck with them. Had a buddy wearing a set duck hunting with me. It rained. I got soaked thru a Columbia 4n1 duck parka, saved by a Simms fleece w/Goretex under it. He got serious hypothermia, to where he was incoherent in the boat riding back. Had plenty of clothes on, but wet thru and thru.

About a dozen of us had issues with those Columbia parkas. Got a Gore-tex Beretta one now. Accept no substitutes for the real deal. I think the frog togs would be OK for occasional use in moderate weather ( not possibility of hypothermia ), like on the boat in the summer.

Jay, you duck hunt much? </div></div>

good to know, i got into duck hunt about 2 years ago, i really like eating them, but i don't get to go much, because i don't really know what i'm doing/have an airboat or mud boat. i enjoy it though

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dunno, Jay. I haven't used them more than trying them on, then stuffing them in my saddle bag. I know they're pretty popular in the motorcycle world, can't comment on hunting application.

My friend did ride from Alabama to Colorado for almost a month, and he said his kept him dry, even in pretty hard rain. </div></div>

sweet

I picked this up the last time I visited Cabelas (Link). Very quiet and light. It folds up and now stays in my hunting backpack. It was on an unadvertised 50% sale I discovered just walking around the store.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mikee....that's really odd.

Frog Toggs are (from my experience) very waterproof. I've had several sets that I ride in and that i take on pack trips to Colorado elk hunting. Never in the last 10yrs of riding, hunting, fishing have I ever got wet with them on. Was your buddy hypothermic from the cold or was he actually wet as well? That doesn't sound right at all, if they were real Frogg Toggs. </div></div>

do they have different models? styles? i just saw the frog toggs and the toads,

thanks guys, i'll have to look at some other options, i need to be able to sneek around. maybe i'll get one of thos big orange survival suits, i bet that'll keep you want and dry lol.

I almost forgot, I have a jacket and some pants from these guys that has a rubber style inside, with vents on the back and underarms of the jacket. The outside is like a synthetic suede and is very quiet.

These will keep you dry in an all day decent rain/heavy fog and dew or dry for several hours in a very hard, steady rain. Price is not bad for the fit, function, silence and warmth I've gotten out of mine.

GAMEHIDE

73A-1.jpg

Waterproof/Breathable Systems Jacket with Camo Liner

Quick Info- 1= Least, 5= Most

Quietness: 4
Waterproof: 5
Breathability:3
Warmth: 4.5
Other: Zip out liner

INSULATED GAMEHIDE PAGE

NON INSULATED

GAMEHIDE WATERFOWL

If you aren't after scent wise animals at close range you can treat them with a water repellent spray and they will bead up and shed more water/keep you dry longer.

I have an old insulated Gamehide jacket and non insulated pants . They are tough. The only problem I had was a tear in the cargo pocket on the pants from a barbwire fence (can't blame them) Luckily the cargo pocket is separate and they are still water proof.

If I could do it over I would never buy any rain pants there WERE NOT the bib style. Regular cut pants just don't "cut" it and every time you bend over or move too much your ass gets wet.

I'm wearing the jacket in the picture that is my avitar. Its one of my favorite jackets even when its not raining because its wind proof, warm or cool enough depending on what you wear under/unzip the vents it and its is silent.

I have a pair of the middle of the road toggs. They have lasted a couple of years overall good keepigs you dry but they make alot of noise.

Rivers West, Sitka Gear, and the most popular, Grundens. The only thing worth wearing around here are these three and it rains a bit...

Sorry guys, been away for a few days ( Man Camp, turning boys into men - 3 7 yr olds and 2 18 yr olds, at hunting camp - bushed - and Ms Booshay putting little one down as I write this ).

I think the Frogtogs are OK for short rain, even heavy rain for short time. Not for sustained rain. Sam and I got soaked getting rained on during a 30 minute boat ride, a 3 hour hunt and a 2 hour return ride ( boat motor issues ). To be fair, his tog's weren't new, had a couple days of everyday use on them, but bottom line, he got wet.

The Sitka gear is awesome, very good. $$$ but good stuff.

I fished a king fish tournament a few years ago in January ( Key West ). Practice day was miserable, cold wet etc. Went to dive shop, bought a set of neoprene skins, and a balaclava. Team mates laughed at the get up while we were stocking bait the first morning of the event - I said see you at the dock tonight. They were all trying to find an open scuba shop that night. I was dry and warm. Friend of mine was using a dry dive suit also, but that's big $$$.

I do have a set of the Bass Pro shops 100 mph gear, that stuff is pretty dry too, and can be worn on a summer afternoon if you have to.

I got no solution for cheap good rain gear. Cheap or good, pick one.

I have always said that Frogg Toggs are "almost waterproof and semi-disposable." They last a few wearings and will keep you dry if it doesn't rain very long. I have to buy a pair ever summer we go to CO. By the end of the trip, wearing them 10 times or so for less than 30 minutes at a time, they are usually toast.

Seems like everyone has got it. I've used them for duck hunting in warmer weather where we have a hike into the blind carrying decs, mojos, and all our other gear and are looking to minimize space. Always keep a set in the kayak just in case. Inexpensive and very lightweight. Never had a problem with being waterproof, but do tear easily. I too picked mine up on an unadvertised sale at cabelas.

Ive had mine for 4 years. The jacket I use all the time but the pants are loud and I tend to be in short brush and briars alot. Never had any issues with it. Been in hard rain and light, heavey snow and light snow. Used mainly duck hunting though.

Pros - Cheap, Work pretty well.
Cons - Noisy, tear easily.

Any of the mountaineering companies put out a superior product albeit with a higher price tag. Grundens would be 100% waterproof and cost about the same as the Toggs. Any of the Gore products are nice if you are going to be active but nothing beats rubber gear for complete protection.