• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

From 700p to 700 custom

kis2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2011
Hey all,

Just thought I'd share my rifle build (build is a strong word. more like assembled and built by other people). Started life as a 700p in 308, with a Bushnell 6500, Seekins rings and base. The guys at ScoreHi took the trigger down to just under 3lbs.

As we all know, you just can't stop. I didn't have money to drop on a full custom build all at once like I would've liked to, so it happened a little at a time over several years. With help from Phoenix Custom Rifles and ScoreHi, it became what it is now! Both those vendors were great. Here's the list:

700 action trued
Brux barrel 1:10, 308 (because I had several hundreds of components for it anyway)
Badger Brake (barrel length with brake about 26")
PCR Marksman bolt knob
HS Precision PST025
Shilen Trigger (about 2.5lbs)
Seekins Rings/Base
USO 3.2-17, MPR reticle, red illum, bubble level, lots of goodies
178gr Amax's at 2670fps

Doubles as my heavy hunting rifle, so I've had the joy of lugging it several miles up and down the mountain plenty of times.

Threads are nearly worthless without pics, here's a couple.

6906d1368400828-first-post-crop%5B1%5D.jpg

7840d1369359088-putting-images-posts-beforeafter.jpg

7841d1369359163-putting-images-posts-dsc_0816.jpg

6919d1368411364-elk-through-uso-crop.jpg

Looks sick! I am in the market for a new brake and like the look of the one you have on there. Should post up what you think of it.

Thanks guys! Mzvarner: I like the brake. blends really well, looks pretty sharp, reduces recoil as advertised. the ports have an ever-so-slight bias up, which helps reduce the dust cloud from sand/dry dirt. that bias certainly does not eliminate it, but it helps. I've shot a lot of different kinds of brakes, and all the quality ones built for the same purpose have seemed the same to me, so I'd say if you like the look of a quality one, go with it.

only other cool thing about this brake is that the ports are perfect for a 5/16's brass bar to fit in and unscrew. makes for handy removal if you want to go shoot fclass or something.

Looks great! I am doing the same slow build with my Rem 700, its pretty cool when u see how each individual component makes such a big impact.

I assembled parts of it at various times (put the rings on the base, did the bedding job so action and blah blah blah), but for any serious work it got sent to PCR or ScoreHi. there are a select few people in the world who use the word 'build' accurately anymore, and regarding this rifle I am not one of them! :)

DirtD its been a learning experience for sure, and you really get to know each piece

Love the pic with the pooch, beats dogs playing poker any day:)
Nice build!!

Nice looking rifle! Was there a significant increase in accuracy or was it more about getting exactly what you wanted? I'm thinking of tricking out my 700 as well.

Thanks everyone! Clayne_b, I've been watching your cold bore challenge, good stuff!

Went out today and officially have actual dope for every 100yds between here and 1k except 7, 9, and 1k. Knock those out soon enough. Pics shortly.

Triple D: the 700p in its original configuration averaged .68moa over its life, since I've finished it to this configuration its averaged .55 moa with groups at 1,2,3 and 6 hundred yards. That's just me prone, so I'm certain it could average better. My standards are pretty low and thus ultimately if I'm submoa, I'm happy, so both have been great for me! But long story short, it wasn't that I wanted an increase in accuracy so much as I wanted to maximize the 308 for long range. getting everything trued up helped, the match grade 1:10 twist barrel has made a big difference in velocity with a better twist for the 178grs, and everything else is really just to make it easy on me the user (FFP USO, brake, trigger, etc). I guess you could say it was about building it to a specific purpose, and good as it was the 700p needed some help.

and here we go! the paper target was 100yd zero confirmation. the target on the right has 5 shots from 400 and 500 yards. the left target is 820 yards.

820 was a real challenge since I hadn't gone that far before with this set up, but once I got the elevation right (which is tricky spotting for yourself!) I was hitting 3/4. More practice = more better. The wind very quickly turns me into a 1moa shooter :) ...In this case winds were gusty between 3mph and 10mph, anywhere from 6 oclock to 10 oclock. Don't know how I ever shot passed 500 yards without a FFP! That MPR reticle is the bees knees.
Anyways, lots of fun, lots of learning.

Other important lesson: managed to sunburn the back of my calves. no more shorts. freakin hot out.

7895d1369437859-putting-images-posts-dsc_1024.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Build that is probably my favorite color combination for stock, scope, action, and barrel. But how is your dog going to see with the scope covers down?

hehehe, well, when his first group was pretty bad, I was ready to blame it on the fact that most dogs don't use guns. or the no fingers thing. but come to think of it, its probably the scope caps down! back to the range with him!

and thanks! I'm happy with the color combo as well, blends pretty well for not being all camo'd out. it went to PCR with that color already on the action/barrel, and they color matched the bolt knob and brake perfectly.

Nice Build that is probably my favorite color combination for stock, scope, action, and barrel. But how is your dog going to see with the scope covers down?