• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes From ATACR to Razor Gen2?

krumfola

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Would moving from a 4-16x42 ATACR to a gen2 Razor (4.5-27) be a mistake? Wanting more magnification and had been considering a 5-25 ATACR but the Razors are usually popping up in the px for much cheaper.

24” 6.5CM, Impact, Foundation, etc.

There's a big weight difference but they're both exceptionally reliable (The Razors had early issues but I think those were resolved in production). The G2 razor is an excellent scope, really easy turret zeroing and good turrets, good glass, good reticles. That ATACR is a little unique in a good way with its elevation lock. I have yet to find any NF reticle that I really like. The Mil-C is the closest I've found. The Razor's reticles have been more enjoyable for me when precision shooting. I think it might be a good move and would recoup some money in the bank. Or you could spend a little more over what you'd get from selling your scope and get the ATACR 7-35.

You can't go wrong with either ATACR. I have had all mags of ATACRS, the 5-25 is my favorite. I had the Razor G2 27x, good optically but very heavy. However Vortex nocked it out of the park with the G3 HD 36X, fantastic optic!

Reactions: krumfola
A gen3 is what you desire here. But man
....that 4-16x42 is one the BEST hunting scopes. If you do that kinda thing, I'd do my best to have em both!

Reactions: parshal
Reactions: rijndael
Uh no it's not... shop around
I'm just going of Euro optics product description. I haven't actually verified if it is a exclusive model to them.

"EuroOptic is excited to offer Vortex's Razor HD Gen III 6-36x56 Riflescope! This high-precision optic now features a sleek BLACK FINISH and is ONLY available at EuroOptic!"

Price... black can of spray paint... 3 bucks ..
AF9E69F6-05C4-4206-8742-946E9A4BDCA6.jpeg

They're talking about getting the original bronze color Razor G3 6-36x56s for $1900-$2000 shipped if you're willing to wait a few months through one of the vendors here.

No one is getting new Razor G3s for $1900, some of the discounts are great, but don’t believe everything you hear…

Even if you qualify for the Vortex Mil/LEO discount (which is generous), they’re not $1900 and you won’t be getting it tomorrow, they’re popular, you’ll be waiting a bit.

Don’t forget about tax either, the days of not having to pay tax on online purchases is pretty much over, and a $2500 scope depending on where one lives, can really be more like a $2700+ scope when the dust settles…

Whether Gen2 (which yes, would be an upgrade for the OP) or a Gen3, used from the PX is still the best deal.

My Buddy paid 2050 shipped and I paid 2100 shipped from vendor here few months ago. Brand new G3

Euro had gen3 for 1900 on July 4 sale(military only). A certain site sponsor matched that price I do believe. I don't know if everyone has received their scopes yet from that sale price. He's currently running 50% off msrp on vortex, which would put the price at $2000. I don't know of a scope that competes at that price. Some will say the S3, but it's a bit more money unless you have a connection. I personally don't feel it's on the same level but very close.

Reactions: Scopeye
IDK, I guess I always end up paying too much for shit, usually because I hate waiting lol.

Reactions: parshal
Euro had gen3 for 1900 on July 4 sale(military only). A certain site sponsor matched that price I do believe. I don't know if everyone has received their scopes yet from that sale price. He's currently running 50% off msrp on vortex, which would put the price at $2000. I don't know of a scope that competes at that price. Some will say the S3, but it's a bit more money unless you have a connection. I personally don't feel it's on the same level but very close.
G3 for the money is as close you will get to an ZCo, TT, SnB without having to pay a thousand more.

I did get my T6xi 30x from Cameraland, not mounted it yet so I don't know how it tracks but the glass is absolutely up there, it's as crisp as the G3.

I posted a link earlier but refurbished G3's for $2100 at AA Optic and a bunch of other Vortex stuff. They still have a few available. Free shipping an no tax probably depending on the state.

No idea why anyone would even think of buying any of the the S3 or Zeiss with any kind of electronics in them who aren't actually sponsored by them. For me, their limited electronics warranty (illuminated reticle) and Zeiss having to ship to Germany to fix their warranty items and wait for months to get repaired while Vortex is quick and painless just swap them for a brand new one within 2 weeks plus Vortex even pays round trip shipping for warranty requests. They even pay for round trip shipping if you're a total idiot not knowing how to use your own scope if you have any question and they graciously offer to check it out on their own dime.

Also related to the much cheaper Tract Toric 4-25x50 with lifetime warranty including their electronics (illuminated reticle) vs S3 version of it with their limited electronics warranty.

I don't know about others but when given a choice I will always choose the one (twin or cousin version of the same scope) from the brand that has the better lifetime warranty including their electronics.

When they're outside of warranty after 5 years after they fail you either have to just live with it like all the unfortunate owners of SIG who don't plan to do any type of electronic repairs on their scopes and rangefinder binoculars and rangefinders outside of their limited 5 year warranty (from date of manufacture not date if actual purchase). Then there's the long wait time when Zeiss sends to Germany to fix things and imagine the cost to fix electronics in their scopes outside of their limited 5 year warranty.

I've had scopes including high end scopes electronics (illuminated reticle) not work right out of their boxes brand new and thankfully they were from brands with hassle free no questions asked lifetime warranties. When I buy extras when they go on sale for too good to be true prices (from reputable dealers I frequently buy from of course) sometimes they just sit in their boxes for a very long time. Unfortunately I have a lot of Bushnell over 40 of them still brand new in their boxes I bought a decade ago and really worry about them actually honoring their warranty or screwing me over like they really seem to enjoy doing to others. These are no longer in production and Japan and Philippines made.

Though I really like the hassle free no questions asked Vortex VIP lifetime warranty, I do not recommend buying any of their made in China scopes due to poor QC based on personal first hand experiences lots of my own Chinese Vortex scopes needed warranty and much safer to buy Athlon (Midas HD line and above only when they have a very good sale at good discounted prices and never buy them at regular street prices though since they're still in fact made in China).

Last edited:
No one is getting new Razor G3s for $1900, some of the discounts are great, but don’t believe everything you hear…

Even if you qualify for the Vortex Mil/LEO discount (which is generous), they’re not $1900 and you won’t be getting it tomorrow, they’re popular, you’ll be waiting a bit.

Don’t forget about tax either, the days of not having to pay tax on online purchases is pretty much over, and a $2500 scope depending on where one lives, can really be more like a $2700+ scope when the dust settles…

Whether Gen2 (which yes, would be an upgrade for the OP) or a Gen3, used from the PX is still the best deal.
Two buddies of mine paid exactly $1900 even apiece out the door free shipping no tax for theirs during the price match.