• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Front Bolt Baffle causing Feeding Issues?

chopper duke

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 15, 2012
Georgia
I've been putting together a rifle for both personal and business use. I've got the action, barrel, chassis and magazine in so I was checking feeding and ran into a problem.

The action is a Savage model 12 4.275" staggerd feed and the chassis is a McRee's Precision Gen5 TMAG. Magazine is an MP 10rd for .308. With a loaded magazine inserted, the bolt does not come back far enough to clear the rear of the round to pick it up. It sticks past the round roughly 1/2". I got to looking around on the web and it appears I have the extended front baffle and I think this may be keeping the bolt from coming back far enough to pull the round of the top of the magazine. I think if I switch it out to the shorter baffle it'll solve the issue. Thoughts?

Long Baffle (what's on there now):
Savage Arms Front Bolt Baffle Savage 10 Through 16 SS

Short Baffle (what I'll replace it with):
Savage Arms Front Bolt Baffle Savage 110 Through 116 SS

Here are some pictures to help show what I'm trying to say. NOTE I did not paint the atcion, the precious owner did. I'm leaving it on until I have the entire thing coated.
Bolt closed to show the extended baffle:
Wilson_20130614_8722-X3.jpg

Bolt open doesn't go all the way to the rear of the action:
Wilson_20130614_8723-X3.jpg

Bolt is sitting above the end of the round:
Wilson_20130614_8725-X3.jpg

Wilson_20130614_8728-X3.jpg

If I go to remove the bolt, It'll come back far enough, obviously:
Wilson_20130614_8730-X3.jpg

Wilson_20130614_8732-X3.jpg

Yes, the long baffle is there to limit bolt stroke on a .223 Rem and similar. Change back to a regular bolt baffle and you should be GTG.

Or just lop off the extra length on the one you have and clean up the cut appropriately. It's not exactly a critical dimension as long as it comes back far enough to pick up the next round. Personally I'd order a new one so it looks nice, but I suppose it depends on how big of a hurry you're in.

Yes, the long baffle is there to limit bolt stroke on a .223 Rem and similar. Change back to a regular bolt baffle and you should be GTG.

Or just lop off the extra length on the one you have and clean up the cut appropriately. It's not exactly a critical dimension as long as it comes back far enough to pick up the next round. Personally I'd order a new one so it looks nice, but I suppose it depends on how big of a hurry you're in.

That's what I figured. They're all of $4 at Midway and in stock so I'll just place an order with them. Good excuse to find something else when I order.