• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Front sight for a LAR grizzly

MediumSpeed

some drag...
Minuteman
Supporter+
Jul 13, 2017
Sacramento CA and sometimes Buckeye AZ.
So a friend lost the front sight off his LAR Grizzly because 45 win mag. This is an antique gun and Numrich hasn't had parts for it for a while as far as I can tell. I've 3d printed a simple front sight to see if it will work (expected to fly away on the first shot.) What would folks suggest - the site xometry.com might be able to print it in stainless steel for around $190.00. Does anyone have experience with them or is there somewhere else to go to such a thing fab'd? (while 190 doesn't seem unreasonable, for a cost of 190 I might just print a bunch of PLA+, carbon, etc to replace with when they go awol. :) )

Thank all,
-Chris

20230816_125855_smaller.jpg

If you have a local jewler they may be able to cast a replacement using your printed version as a reference. I dont know what it would cost , may be worth a look.

Reactions: MediumSpeed
Take the measurements, go to a job shop/gunsmith and get a replacement made. Or give it to them so they can take measurements and make the appropriate fit. This is probably your best option. Even with a large caliber, a tight fit should stay in place. Something is out of spec or there are extreme tolerance issues - the dovetail is at the max and the dovetail is at the minimum, etc. something is going on.

Thanks all! - it is a beefy double tennon. When he initially told me about it I though it would take a basic 1911 front sight - nope :) . Each post is 3/16" thick. I prototyped the front in FreeCad - maybe it is easier to find someone with a CNC that can mill it - I'll look around.

If there is no dovetail and it's just two cylindrical posts on the bottom it would be a very easy part to mill on a CNC, especially if your dimensions are spot on.

Good to know - Thank you. I used a new set of drill bits to figure out the diameter of the posts but I think I will remeasure the separation distance before I have it milled :) - right now my friend it going to try it with the plastic front sight and let me know whether he thinks it will work. (I told him I think the front sight post may be a little high based on putting a laser down the barrel)

Thanks!

Good to know - Thank you. I used a new set of drill bits to figure out the diameter of the posts but I think I will remeasure the separation distance before I have it milled :) - right now my friend it going to try it with the plastic front sight and let me know whether he thinks it will work. (I told him I think the front sight post may be a little high based on putting a laser down the barrel)

Thanks!
It would also be good to pin the holes so you know exactly what they are and IF they have any variation between the two. Those two holes and the distance between them are what you need to operate off of for your firearm, regardless of any spec that is "official".

$190 to get it printed is going to be way cheaper than any GS will charge you to fab one up and install. Keep in mind the surface finish may not be what you want and you may need to do some hand polishing.

It’s a Millett dual crimp front sight for Colt 1911’s. it’s a .210” or .225” height I believe. It uses a special crimping tool that I acquired from LAR, I don’t think the Colt tool will reach the rear post. Barlow’s Custom Guns in Utah has sights. If you send the slide to him I can let him use my tool to crimp it. I’m not on here much but if you do send it to Barlow’s, tell him to borrow the tool from Brent. He will call me and have me bring it to him.