• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Front sight- officer almost dies

hermosabeach

Invite new Gun owners to the range in 2021
Minuteman
This video reminded me of a drill where we were running perpendicular to a target at 15 yards and then turned and closed the 15 yards to the target

my first pass I saw that I was missing a lot...

I diagnosed that I was not watching the front sight as I could see my hits and misses.

Next repetition- I had solid hits

Our thoughts and prayers are for the full recovery of the victim who was stabbed at the Quality Dairy and for his family, and are with our deputy who was subsequently violently attacked. They are also with the family of Mr. Ruis who was killed in this senseless, tragic incident

MSP say an argument began inside the store shortly before 6:45 a.m. over Ruis, who was a customer there, not wearing a mask. Ruis was refused service by the store. Ruis is accused of stabbing an older man in the store before he fled in a vehicle.

The graphic police video shows Ruis exiting the vehicle and walking toward the deputy with a knife in his hand. The female deputy, a 22-year veteran officer, can be seen yelling at the man to drop the weapon while backing away from Ruis.

The video then shows the deputy firing several rounds at Ruis when he fails to comply and makes an aggressive motion toward her

She should spend more time at the range.
She did her job though.
if video is shown every time a officer shoots we would have a lot less rioting.
lucky for America that guy was not black.

I hope no innocent people were hit by all the bullets that missed the perp.
Neither of you have any idea how much lead a motivated person can soak up before they fall.

Just from the body cam footage alone you can tell he was shot multiple times, the one that actually stopped his forward movement was a shot to the pelvis while he had his hand on her. He then soaked up another 4 or 5 from about 6 or 8 feet away before he actually keeled over.

Real life isn't like you see on the TV.

Pre-attack indicators were present about 3 - 5 seconds after he got out of the car.

Why did the officer let the guy close that much distance? The suspect should have been shot by the time he got to the front of the cruiser. I don’t give a shit about black liver matter protests. Nothing racist about a either his life or yours scenario.

Neither of you have any idea how much lead a motivated person can soak up before they fall.

Just from the body cam footage alone you can tell he was shot multiple times, the one that actually stopped his forward movement was a shot to the pelvis while he had his hand on her. He then soaked up another 4 or 5 from about 6 or 8 feet away before he actually keeled over.

Pre-attack indicators were present about 3 - 5 seconds after he got out of the car.
I couldn’t see any hits. Were all her shots into perp?
I’m more accustomed to seeing rifle hits than pistol. Thanks for the clarification.

The accounts from the US Army in the Philippines fighting the Moro insurrection revealed that officers would empty the entire cylinders of their issued .38 Specials into the charging Moros, and they would not even flinch despite all of the rounds clearly connecting, and still launch themselves over the parapets and kill soldiers with their swords... That is the reason why the Army reverted back to the .45, and the Dept. Of Ordnance fast tracked the development and adoption of the M1905 and later, M1911 pistols...

The accounts from the US Army in the Philippines fighting the Moro insurrection revealed that officers would empty the entire cylinders of their issued .38 Specials into the charging Moros, and they would not even flinch despite all of the rounds clearly connecting, and still launch themselves over the parapets and kill soldiers with their swords... That is the reason why the Army reverted back to the .45, and the Dept. Of Ordnance fast tracked the development and adoption of the M1905 and later, M1911 pistols...
I’m guessing 9mm but do we know what she was shooting?

Reactions: Blue Sky Country

Truth be told, pistols are often "less than lethal".

Joe Biden maybe on to something......."Train officers to shoot criminals in the leg"

Yes at the junction of the thigh and pelvis with intended pass through the femoral.

Those Moros were also pretty hopped up on "pain killers".

Why did the officer let the guy close that much distance? The suspect should have been shot by the time he got to the front of the cruiser. I don’t give a shit about black liver matter protests. Nothing racist about a either his life or yours scenario.

Your sitting in front of a keyboard allows you the luxury of that thought process.

She did her job though.
if video is shown every time a officer shoots we would have a lot less rioting.
lucky for America that guy was not black.

Considering how "non gun" most police are her trainers did well on what was likely the one day per year she trains/qualifies.

Reactions: Blutroop

She did a good job clearing her weapon after the ftf, and kept her focus. Very happy she survived, hope she continues being one of the good “guys”.

To my untrained eye, it looks like 12 shots and 1-2 center mass hits, 3-4 marginal/ less than lethal hits, all at less than 10’.
Hopefully everyone can agree that we would like to improve that. We don’t want bad guys getting a chance injure our guys and gals in blue.

Another of the many many reasons I could never have be a cop . The cop told to the guy to get on the ground did not get on the ground good enough for me to shooting him to hell with allowing an armed crazy person the ability to get that close , he got out of his car so I ran him over with mine he would be on the ground after that , I am almost positive . Vest no vest a ton and 1/2 car or truck wins any argument over a human body every time . I am glad that cop was able to stop that guy and get to go home to see his family again .

Reactions: Ravenworks
She did a good job clearing her weapon after the ftf, and kept her focus. Very happy she survived, hope she continues being one of the good “guys”.

To my untrained eye, it looks like 12 shots and 1-2 center mass hits, 3-4 marginal/ less than lethal hits, all at less than 10’.
Hopefully everyone can agree that we would like to improve that. We don’t want bad guys getting a chance injure our guys and gals in blue.
I think she handled herself quite well too. She cleared that malfunction and got back in the fight very quickly. This is all under life or death stress too.

I can see why she waited. We on the good guy side have an inherent respect for life and thus a reluctance to shoot someone. That, and the repeated Monday morning experts who inevitably arise to explain how the shooting could/should have been avoided.

I would be hesitating too, and praying that he would comply so I wouldn’t have to shoot.

I am impressed with the immediate action drill; no hesitation at all, tap-rack and back in the game.

Pre-attack indicators:
1) He got out of the car with the weapon.
2) Did not immediately comply.
3) Started closing distance.
4) Maneuvered to his left for cover.
5) Actually started repeating the given commands to either mock or sow confusion.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that he soaked up at least 5 or 6 good hits. Fresh bullet entry wounds don't actually immediately bleed like you see on TV.

@powdahound76 It doesn’t make any difference if your a cop or not. If uve got some asshole coming towards you with a knife. And he intends to do you harm which he obviously did you have the right to defend yourself. That’s just common sense. Use some common sense in your trollings and you’ll be more effective.

My law enforcement training was to give the order to drop the weapon, if possible, then use my discretion, when to shoot to stop. Training emphasized firing, sooner, rather than later. Beyond that, everyone acts/reacts differently. My fuse is much shorter than most, that's why I changed careers. I'm glad the officer survived. The perp should have stayed home.

@Peterpan - not a troll. You have me confused with @Bender. He is our Papa Troll. Cool hairdo and all.

Asking questions vs jumping to conclusions Is common sense.

I Monday morning quarterback for a living. Literally.

The point is relevance and if you have not been in a situation, its harder to say with absolutism.
I have never been in that situation.

I agree with your statement. I will say I would shoot earlier. BUT, having not been there, and I hope to never be, I cannot be sure.

You have proven your point.
You are right and no amount of any other thought or idea is acceptable.
And name calling to cement it.

can we discuss why she got out of the squad in the first place? Ive done the job I get it, they train you to get out and try and shout your bullshit commands, try and deescalate the situation whatever. Dude just stabbed somebody and now he's advancing on you with a knife. Why get out of the giant slice proof fort you're in and become more vulnerable? Stay in the damn car and if need be run him over with it.

My buddies and I load each others mags for drills.
Never know where an empty 9mm case is jammed in there 😁

Running drills that are fast paced without issues with those throw. In is pretty good.

Now do jumping jacks and a few push ups to make it even more fun.

Train hard. Real life isnt easy.

can we discuss why she got out of the squad in the first place?
1) Because windshields are not cover
2) You don't know that he only has a knife
3) Cars don't move as fast as people from a standing start
4) It is really hard to effect an arrest without actually putting hands on.

How long did you do the job?

Last edited by a moderator:
can we discuss why she got out of the squad in the first place? Ive done the job I get it, they train you to get out and try and shout your bullshit commands, try and deescalate the situation whatever. Dude just stabbed somebody and now he's advancing on you with a knife. Why get out of the giant slice proof fort you're in and become more vulnerable? Stay in the damn car and if need be run him over with it.
Because her job is to get out of the car and stop/arrest the guy, not hide from him. What if he had a gun? Then she's unable to return fire effectively.

Reactions: Blutroop
Many Pd Departments are taking a hard look at their Use of Force Policies. The big buzz in political circles is to change "Objectively Reasonable" to "Necessary" or "Absolutely Necessary" Which is going to be a disaster. In that officers incident ( and I believe she did an outstanding job) under the Absolutely Necessary Use of Force Policy, she could have ran, gotten back in her car, tried tactical repositioning, etc, etc, etc. It is going to be a sad state of affairs if that comes to pass. This country is going to get much worse before it gets better.

Reactions: SBRSarge

Why do you even show up at your office, well pre corona time you did?

Why not just get the job than have someone else do it and pay that person 75% of your pay?

Be a good gig become your own staffing agency.

As it is law enforcement is being restricted in enforcing laws.

USSC says LE has no duty to protect anyone. Now we are eliminating all the risk in doing the work that justifies the pay rate "of potential".

Many are fortunate to go through a career without encountering life hazarding situations and they have benefitted from a pay scale "for potential". I salute them they are lucky.

Weasel POLs now want to remove more "potential" and further limit PO performing hazardous law enforcement.

At some point it has to be asked, if we assume your model, "What are we paying them for?"

This chick earned every penny and is owed some.

Im guessing "the doubters" would still be pissing their pants.