• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SOLD FS Seiko Marinemaster SBDX017-Functional Excellence, but Worn

Burdy

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 10, 2013
    Up for sale is a watch I never thought I would sell, but we have all heard that before. I bought this from a buddy a couple of years ago, and I still to this day, think its the best non-Grand Seiko dive watch that Seiko ever produced. As you probably know, this was Japan only and long discontinued. It is a legend of sorts in the Seiko dive watch world. These have a monocoque case design, with no case back, and allows these to be used for saturation diving without the need for a helium escape valve. This example keeps unbelievable time, often going days remaining within 1 second. The crown is smooth and the bezel action is very nice with a wonderful ratcheting feel and sound. It is however, I watch that I wore. I went to the beach in it, I worked in the yard in it etc. I enjoy my watches. I don't abuse them, as I take my watches off when working on a car or something like that, but watches are meant to be worn, and this one has had its memories.

With that being said, the images I took are with a macro lens that focuses so close, it almost touches the glass, so the scratches you see here, are not nearly as visibile to the naked eye, and many of them you will never see, but I want to be 100% transparent. You can click on the images for a full resolution view. As with all of the these lacquer bezel and high polish case watches, micro scratches show up everywhere. Its part of it. You really have to get the watch at the right angle and lighting for them to become noticeable. The one thing I know is that the buyer of the watch will believe the watch exceeds expectations after having it in the hand vs seeing the pictures. I have included a video also where I try to capture everything possible.

The watch comes with box and papers but the warranty card is completely blank (not that it matters anymore). The factory bracelet was barely worn but is missing 1 link, so if you have such a large wrist you need every single link, the bracelet may not work for you. I am including two Strap Code Chaffle straps (Black and Green) which are the best rubber straps for this watch IMO, along with the UNWORN factory rubber. And if you are lucky enough to have a small wrist "6.0 or smaller" I am including the Crafter Blue yellow strap as well that utilizes the factory clasp. There is a lot of money here just in nice straps.

Ultimately, I hope this goes to someone else who will enjoy this watch for many years to come. It's one of those watches that you just HAVE too look at at all times as the way the bezel, crystal and case play with the light is really unmatched...even by Rolex. It has the heritage, the wrist presence and the accuracy pedigree. I hope someone else enjoys it the way I do.

Asking $1600.00-SOLD

No Trades.

Video Link:
    Burdy's SBDX017

Last edited:
    Reactions: redx
    Fantastic watch and GLWS, mine is on my wrist about 50% of the time and definitely one I dont think I would ever sell. The other 50% I wear my Rolex SD - thats how good the Seiko is, they really knocked it out of the park with this watch.

Reactions: Burdy and redx
    Fantastic watch and GLWS, mine is on my wrist about 50% of the time and definitely one I dont think I would ever sell. The other 50% I wear my Rolex SD - thats how good the Seiko is, they really knocked it out of the park with this watch.
    They really did. And I forgot to mention it in my post but blinding LUME for days too.
    I like the SD for sure.