• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ft. Riley area???

Sooter76

Private
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2012
Lincoln, NE
So in a few months I'll be heading out to Kansas and Ft. Riley... I looked thru the thread on 500+ yard ranges but didn't see anything within a 4 hour drive. I know Ft. Stewart opens up their 1000+ meter range once or twice a month, does anyone know if Riley does anything similar?

Thanks.

That's great but I'm just getting into this world. I'll have a few months on Ft. Gordon with their 800 meter range but I'm really not looking to compete yet. Do they also have just a shooting range per chance?

I know is 4-5 hours away, but Rolling Hills Rifle and Pistol Range in Macks Creek Missouri is your best bet. You will not find a better place closer to Ft Riley.

Sooter, I have Spearpoint. We are about 1.5 hrs from Ft Riley. As Adam said we have targets out to 1400 yds, 2 steel 16"x18" targets every 100 yds from 400 to 1300. Then 2 20"x40" silhouettes at 1400. We also have a 0 to 500 yd area. Nothing fancy, just effective. We now have around 90 steel targets that range in size from 6"x6" to 20"x40".

If you are in the area in time there is a great class you might want to check out:
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...int-ranch-ks-2-day-basic-precision-rifle.html
This would be a great class to get into.

You also might want to check out our monthly matches. They are very beginner friendly. We have many shooters who have never shot past 100 yds come out and start doing very well once they get used to it. That is one of the reasons we started these matches, to give everybody a place to shoot a little further than 100 yds all the time.
We do rent out the place, $20/person/day. You need to contact us ahead of time to schedule it. Lodging is also available for $30/person/night.

If you can't make Adam's class, we are having two Magpul Dynamics classes out here in September.
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...dger-ordnance-salina-ks-september-2014-a.html

Anyway, welcome to Kansas when you get here!

Steve

Back in the days when I was stationed in Ft. Riley, for the weekend ranges on post. There was one for 15-300meters and later on they opened a second range (400-800meters) in 2009. Where we had to request to use the second range from range control. Still, if there wasn't enough requests. We've been denied of the second range but the other range was mainly always open.

Will make note that, range control will shut down ranges early. If no one comes or due to weather.

Last edited:
Range 4 on Riley has a line of steel targets at about 400yds, then a few more steel targets around 900-1100. There's another range that goes out a lot farther, range 9 I think, but its not open very often from what the RSO told me. Range 4 is usually open sat-sun from 0900-1500 if I remember correctly, and there is a email list you can get on where range control will let you know if the range will be open since its ran by volunteers.