• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Ftr Training Ideas.

Va Jim

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2011
Ivor, VA
So what do you guys do for training when you cant get to a 1000 Yd range? I have the 40X for simulation training but what about real distance or the wind part.

Va Jim

Re: Ftr Training Ideas.

My home range goes to 350 yards. I shoot a "mini match" at 350 with 300 yard F Class targets and keep my scope dialed as low as possible to best simulate a 1K range. I shoot it just as I would a 15 round match. I set my timer and shoot paying attention to the conditions and working on fundamentals to stay sharp. YMMV.

John

wind is always a tricky thing to deal with. there is no other way to master it than to go out and practice. In your everyday life you fing things that make it so you can test yourself on estamation of wind. you see flags all over. Granted there not the normal range flags, However there out there. take the time to lern to read the merrage(probly not spelled correctly) than when you have time get a good .17 or .22 and practice with that at 150y. a .22 is better beause you can get better ammo. and TOF is important when practicing at shorter ranges to lern wind.

I live in High wind areas of the US all but maby two weeks a year sometimes I just set up my spotting scope and watch the wind and recap what it did on the range. sounds useless to some but there are those that will tell you Im prity good at it.

You will have to decide what works best for you. these are just Ideas that I use.

I'm proud to say, I was lucky enough to be with some of the best people I have ever met, at the F-Class Nationals. Team BNX, this year and made a lot of the wind calls.

I Know those guys real well. I also know you had the wind nailed this year thanks for the response.

VaJim

Jim,

There's some good advice on here already, but one thing I've done is shoot the "mini-palma" targets at 100 yards with a 22LR. That will make you sensitive to every little gust or change in the wind! Likewise, the 300 yard F-Class target will make you very aware of any position/technique problems with your form... it is VERY unforgiving. Unfortunately, the best way to get your brain calibrated to what the wind will do to your bullet at 1000 yards, is to *shoot* 1000 yards. Just as important as shooting at 1000, is sitting behind someone shooting at 1000 and watching the trace of their bullet. If you observe the trace closely, it will tell you volumes of information about a range. Go with someone, and take turns 'coaching' each other at 1000, it will really help your skills develop. It doesn't matter if you think that you're the worst wind coach ever... sit in the coaches chair and do it, I guarantee it will help you!

Best,

Darrell

Any time. If you do make a bad call just take a breath and say to yourself "well lets not do that one again..."

I'm always showing you what NOT to do. You just need to pay better attention ;>).

We have another 600 yd weekend to try. I am not going to beat you on 9's this time either.

Va Jim

Reading wind is something that you can only really practice at the actual distance your going to shoot at and shooting, calling your shot etc. If you can get to a 300+ range it helps. Wind doesn't do much at 100/200.