• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition ftr weight question

cp3head

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2010
Pennsylvania
I was wondering how a rifle is weighed at a competition. I have not yet shot a match. Is the rifle just placed on a postal scale or something similar? The reason that I am asking deals with my rifle currently weighs approximately 17.9 pounds with current scope, bipod, and rifle. I am entertaining a 8-32 power versus my current 5.5-22 powered scope. If I do the math, the benchrest scope weighs 4 ounces more, or 0.25 pounds. This would put me at 18.15 pounds, which would be under the 18.18 pound mark. With it being so close, I wanted to make sure that I am weighing it appropriately before I purchase the other scope. Any insight that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. Also, will the 5.5-22 powered scope limit me if I won't make weight? Thanks in advance.

Your stuff only gets weighed for the "big" matches. It's a good idea to stay a few ounces under the limit to account for scale differences.

Anything that recoils with the rifle goes on the scale, minus bullets. In F-TR that means any mag you have to install, bipod, scope etc...

You can remove scope caps and turret covers, you don't shoot with them on. (My partner at Raton had to remove 3 out of 4 two yrs ago to make weight)

Even though equipment is weighed only at bigger matches, I personally wouldn't shoot a rifle I knew for a fact was over the weight limit, even if it was only a local competition. I shoot with a couple folks that do that and if they ever actually managed to post winning scores, I'm sure there would be challenges because their rifles are way overweight. I would not be comfortable if I shot well in a match knowing my rig was over the limit, but that's just me.

As far as the scope mag range, only your eyes can really tell you whether 22X would be a limiting factor. I recently shot a .308 DTA SRS Covert in a local 300 yd Reduced Palma (F-TR) match just for fun. The only scope/mount I had for it was a NF 5.5-22x50 in a LaRue LT-158 mount. We shoot these matches with 12" Shoot-N-C targets pasted over the NRA scoring target so that the shooter can see their impacts because this particular range doesn't have pits/target frames. For my eyes, the 22X was definitely limiting as it was very difficult to determine where my bullet holes were in relation to the very faint X and 10 scoring rings. Had I been running at 32X (or higher), I probably would have made better (larger) corrections than I did and gotten a bit better score. However, your eyes ultimately will let you know how much mag you need.

Different regional and national matches can use different equipment to weight your rifle. Sometimes it's a beat up old postal scale, which may or may not be very accurate. Other times it might be an extremely expensive balance. You just never know, which is why it's a good idea to be sure you're a couple ounces under the weight limit.

If you're as close to making weight as you described, there are other things you can do to shed a few ounces when necessary. If you're running a DBM system, mags can weight upwards of a third of a lb in some cases (AICS .308 mags, for example). You can remove the mag and install a mag follower of some sort. I have a couple homemade mag followers cut out of a closed cell foam that weigh next to nothing that I cut to fit the mag well. They work perfectly, just drop a round on top, close the bolt, and you're GTG. The use of alloy rather than steel rings can save a bit of weight. I know individuals that have gone as far as drilling holes in their bipod legs or rifle stocks in order to make weight; however, I would personally try very hard to find another route before going to that extreme. Finally, the bipod itself is often a component where weights of different makes/models can vary widely. If you're using one of the heavier types, chances are good you can find something the performs very similar that's a little bit lighter.

+1 on the above.

Why anyone would want to play the game with equipment that does not qualify is beyond me. What does it prove?

And yes, it's best to leave a few ounces leeway just in case. My rifle weighs 17.6 pounds at sea level, but at Raton's elevation of 6700 feet, it was closer to 17.8. Go figure.

I'd suggest getting a little lower than 18.15. I went to Raton knowing I was close, and had to dish my sunshade at the scales. I thought I was going to have to find a power drill to do some last minute stock work :), and that was after I switched a handle on my bipod to a Ti screw "just to be safe." XTR is right, differences in scales will get you. You can always take weight off elsewhere if you get the scope you're looking at, and I'd shoot for 18 lbs. What difference does .18 lbs make anyway?