• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Full Length Die

USMCGRUNT0341

Private
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2008
I am getting impatient on waiting for the Forster FL sizing die in 308. I will be shooting (recreational) primarily out of a semi AR platform .308 and using any brass that I come across. I have some once fired LC brass now I will be using. The Forster Micrometer Seater is still available out there, but no luck on the FL sizer.

Is there anything in 308 full length that is available and comparable from personal experience? I was thinking about going the Whidden route.

Couple threads floating around about the mighty armory sizers. Looks like they have 308 in stock as well. There's noticeably less effort with the MA die over the redding 6,5 die I had. The redding dies I have are actually the least 'smooth' feeling of my rifle dies (MA, Whidden, dillon, redding).

I also have the whidden die - it's nice, but I only went that way because MA doesn't make a 6BRA sizer. I prefer the Whidden seaters over the forsters - they have 50k adjustment per revolution, The finish is a bit nicer, and the numbers go in the opposite direction from the forster, which makes more sense for me when I'm making adjustments. I've also had good luck with their seating stems. The Forster ones gave me issues, even when I honed them for ELD/VLD bullets.

Reactions: USMCGRUNT0341
For recreational AR 308, Redding full length should you very well.

on the economy end:
C78973E5-9A1D-49B4-AA7E-08C461F3825B.png

Thanks all, I am familiar with the Redding and read a lot about them on here too. Mighty is new to me and I may take the route. At this point, I have nothing to lose by trying something new. Thanks!!

Couple threads floating around about the mighty armory sizers. Looks like they have 308 in stock as well. There's noticeably less effort with the MA die over the redding 6,5 die I had.

I purchased the M/A 223 die a few months ago. The best 223 die around. It sizes with less effort than other 223 dies and sizes back to SAAMI minimum with no problem. I've been reloading 223 since 1974.

After buying the 223 die, I bought the 308 F/L die. Had an issue with it not sizing down to SAAMI minimum @ the datum with thicker brass (Federal GMM and Military 7.62 NATO). I spoke to Wayne @ Mighty Armory who advised me to send the die in to be skimmed.

I sent the die back. I received it back. I had measured the die before sending it. It came back .008" shorter.

Works perfectly now. A great die. The M/A dies are engineered differently than regular dies and have a great, very sturdy decapping pin assembly and the expander is similar to the Lee and has less effort going through the neck than traditional dies. Great for sizing Military brass.

They are worth a look.

I just wanted to add besides MA making a great product (reviews and your experience on here), Wayne responded to me at 1:45am. Who gets customer service like that these days? I’ll be placing my order today.

He is redesigning the seating die so ill have to wait on that. He recommended RCBS w/ the side port, but they are also sold out everywhere.

Thank you all for recommending MA. I would have never thought that.

Reactions: padom
Some people say you need small base resizing dies for LC once fired brass.

I've loaded alot of LC brass as well. It's too early for the turkey. The first three words were some people say not I say.

I just picked up a 20 Practical barrel, that I have to small base everything fired from my other AR-15s. ITs the first time I have ever needed a small base die. Luckily I accidentally bought a small base 223 RCBS X-die about 15 years ago. Also luckily I can size loaded 20 Practical ammo with it.

Dont understand what the Forster hype is about, their dies lately have the roughest internal finish.
Just get a standard RCBS die, easy to find inexpensive and they do the job.

I have 3 different 308 dies a custom honed Forster, RCBS Competition and RCBS SB die. My AI shoots bugholes with
all of them.

Reactions: Winningdog
Dont understand what the Forster hype is about, their dies lately have the roughest internal finish.
Just get a standard RCBS die, easy to find inexpensive and they do the job.

I have 3 different 308 dies a custom honed Forster, RCBS Competition and RCBS SB die. My AI shoots bugholes with
all of them.

I agree. Ive been a loyal Forster customer for a LONG time. But the last few FL sizing dies and seaters had to be sent back for various issues which they did fix but why. Never had any issues in years past with their dies out of the box.

When you compare the machining and finish of the Forster, Redding and Whidden dies on my shelf to the Mighty Armory and SAC dies its not even a comparison. Not even close. Do they all "work", yes. But the last 2 do it with so much less effort, no scratches and the tolerances and consistency of the sized brass are super consistent.

I agree. Ive been a loyal Forster customer for a LONG time. But the last few FL sizing dies and seaters had to be sent back for various issues which they did fix but why. Never had any issues in years past with their dies out of the box.

When you compare the machining and finish of the Forster, Redding and Whidden dies on my shelf to the Mighty Armory and SAC dies its not even a comparison. Not even close. Do they all "work", yes. But the last 2 do it with so much less effort, no scratches and the tolerances and consistency of the sized brass are super consistent.

AS far as MA or SAC dies sometimes you DO get what you pay for.
It seems that demand for Forster dies seems to have overwhelmed their production capacity and decreased their quality.

I bought this Forster 308 NM die die from an online retailer then sent it to Forster to get honed, so they let it slip by when they made it then again when they honed it. Guess it meets their finish specifications.
I never looked at it before sending for honing but that is a poor finish.

308 forster.jpg