• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Full Moon Optics Thermal

ballistic1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2010
LaCrescent, MN
While at ShotShow, I stopped by Luna Optics Booth 612.

I came across their thermal offerings.. most particular, the Genesis.

The thermal line is offered under the name FullMoonOptics.com

It is offered in 3 models

Genesis 40 2.5x-10 1100yd detection
Genesis 55 3.5x-14 1500yd detection
Genesis 75 5x-20 2000yd detection

Proprietary Genesis Hybrid thermal core with industry first image detail enhancement
with manual DSP removes the barriers between 384 and 640 resolution thermal sensors.

Industry first super controller allows instant multiple image adjustments without having
to access complicated menus.

Industry first user programmable button

Ultra high resolution 1024 x 768 micro OLED image display

Thermal sensor with Shutter free & NUC - Free technology

Integrated 700 meter laser rangefinder provides reliable and fast distance readings

On board 32gb video recording with qucik start and battery save mode & wifi data streming

Recoil rating. 300 Win mag

5 types of reticle offerings with 6 reticle color choices

Reticle off mode

10 color palattes, each with polarity inversion

Super contrast mode for instant game detection

Ability to zero one scope on the same weapon for up to 7 different target distances

Multiple customizable user modes

User friendly bad pixel correction mode

Various mounting systems availble.. including Amercian Defense QD mounts for pic rail
and traditional forward mounting bolt action weaver style platforms.

The above is copied from their literature I received at their booth..

Today I will go back and ask more pointed questions.

So far my understanding is:
.. that the thermal core uses a blend between 384 & 640, and is user selectable I believe
.. the range finder is deployable... simultaneous with the reticle in view
.. the core automatically performs NUC type function that is seamless to the user( user doesnt notice)

I will find out more about battery, warranty, etc.. was discussed but I need to confirm before
posting.

20190124_080242.jpg

I have actually seen this in person a week or so ago. I was pretty impressed by the image quality.

$5495 is what I was told for the Genesis G55

The User can select between 7 different settings for the core..

0 being 384
7 being 640

1,2,3,4,5,6... are incremental increases from 384 towards 640..

The refresh rate is approximately 50hz

The pitch is 17um.

All the genesis line have a 1024x768 display !!! Depending on how they did it, they could now be the KINGS of the commerical image !!

The "apocolypse" has three rear ends, monocular, rifle scope and clipon. And has an LRF.

https://www.fullmoonoptics.com/product-page/genesis-apocalypse

Don't know how much day scope magnification they can take.

The list prices shows as $6,600

==
There is also a bi ocular with a more powerful range finder for $4,800

==
And a monocular for $4.800

==
In addition to the dedicated rifle scopes ballistics1 shows above.

It is the display that catches my attention ... and the possibility of a useful clipon ...

Warren Offenburg is the owner of full moon optics. He's been working on these scopes for a while now. I believe Jason Crum with Ident marking has some involvement with this optic too. I had the chance to look through one at the Georgia Coyote Classic last year and they have a very impressive image for a 384 unit. I am also interested in the usefulness of the apocalypse clip on unit.

Ok thanks for the updates. Some interesting new products hitting the market. Dean

Its still a 384 sensor. At $6k get a MKIII instead. Its 640.

All the genesis line have a 1024x768 display !!! Depending on how they did it, they could now be the KINGS of the commerical image !!

The "apocolypse" has three rear ends, monocular, rifle scope and clipon. And has an LRF.

https://www.fullmoonoptics.com/product-page/genesis-apocalypse

Don't know how much day scope magnification they can take.

The list prices shows as $6,600

==
There is also a bi ocular with a more powerful range finder for $4,800

==
And a monocular for $4.800

==
In addition to the dedicated rifle scopes ballistics1 shows above.

It is the display that catches my attention ... and the possibility of a useful clipon ...

ballistics1 did shoot me another msg last night on availability and said "February". So that sounds good. But most of us know that availability of items seen at SHOT, can only be confirmed AFTER the items start shipping to dealers "in volume" ... i.e. beyond the initial trickle to dealers and pro-staff of eval units.

I was told by Full Moon reps that the Genesis line and Acpacylotus line uses the
same thermal core... so the clip on wd have 640 capabilty as well

I also spoke with Full Moon today:

01 - Availability - They said "Mass production starts 1 March" ... and deliveries expected by mid-April. They are a German company (moi speaking - so they will need to get export paperwork to send from Germany).

02 - Clipon supported magnification. The person said they used a L&S 3.5-10x scope with the apocolypse in clipon mode. I said "do you leave it on 3.5x?" Person said no I go up to 10x. I said is it fuzzy? Person said, "it clears up". I said, so you zoom up to 10x on the day scope and it gets fuzzy. Person said yes. And I said, "How do you clear it up?" Person said, with the focus on the front of the clipon.

Moi talking. Well unfortunately, I find this doubtful. I cannot think of how objective focus on the clipon would help clear up fuzzy duue to zooming in on the TV screen. So, if I am generous, I will say myself and the individual had a failure to communicate and that I have no information about the clipon supported magnification :)

If we can just "select" 640, why would we not always want to select 640 ? I think there is more to this part of the story. There is talk of a digital enhancement mode. Perhaps there is a portion of the screen that is 640 and we can make that portion incrementally larger by selecting incremental steps between 640 and 384 ? That's my first guess. Restated, the main screen is 384 but a box can exist and inside that box we are 640 or incrementally less than 640 if we make the box larger. That is just a guess.

I suspect the image quality of these units is based on the 1024x768 display !!!

If we can just "select" 640, why would we not always want to select 640 ? I think there is more to this part of the story. There is talk of a digital enhancement mode. Perhaps there is a portion of the screen that is 640 and we can make that portion incrementally larger by selecting incremental steps between 640 and 384 ? That's my first guess. Restated, the main screen is 384 but a box can exist and inside that box we are 640 or incrementally less than 640 if we make the box larger. That is just a guess.

I suspect the image quality of these units is based on the 1024x768 display !!!

Yeah it's interesting, but I am wary. 384 sensor? I'd like to see a non-biased review and some images. I have a hard time believing it will be in the same league as the Trijicon and Nvision units.

Idk either.. looking around indoors at Shot doesn't really allow for on par testament of
it's abilities.. so I cannot say how it competes.

The image did look really good for what I've witnessed though.

The two Gentlemen at the booth I spoke with are very much involved with
the design of the units and are thermal junkie/ hard core hunter enthusiasts
themselves..

So I'm looking foward to trying then out..

haha, I talked to Vlad at Luna Optic about these last week. Specifically about the Genesis/Apocoplyse clipon.

APOCALYPSE-55(1).JPG

I asked a bunch of questions.

If u look at the upper lens in this pic, the clipon rear lens, you can see some adjusting screws. If those screws exist on the real units, then that indicates they can be collimated and that would be huge !!! That would mean we could attach and boresight and then remove and reattach and still be pretty close. That would mean these sucquers are real clipons. Commercial thermal clipons generally are not collimated, only the $10k+ MSRP military ones are. So these might be an exception !!

He said he thought it (the 55mm) could support 9x on the day scope, though the factory says 12x. But 9x is pretty good. Good enuff for anything I want to do out there at night.

There's a 40mm a 55mm and a 75mm ... I'm not sure the 75mm actually exists based on his comments, but it sounds like they can get the 40mm and the 55mm. I asked if I could get one to test and write up and it sounded like "maybe" ... which is usually "no" ... so we will have to see what happens.

BH Photo is showing them for $6,200 with a 2-4 week lead time ..

They are 384 but have a 1024 display ... those might roughly cancel out, so it might be pretty decent looking on low magnification and short distances.

Its a ULIS core, a.k.a. Lyred, he said the only component made in the PRC is the LRF. We think the ULIS cores are made in France, but neither he nor I have toured the factory, so can't be sure. But that's the theory.

If I ever get my hands on one, I will of course post about it ...

Just... not... impressed...

Don't see them surviving, unless it's on overseas sales. I don't see them competing with the Big Dogs in the US market.

Reactions: Eliteuas
Here's hoping Wig gets one in hand to review... I'm intrigued. If it can collimate and let you run 9x on the day optic, that's pretty impressive for the price. I wonder why such a crap lrf though? 766 yards? At night? I mean that's pretty much a golf lrf these days, haha.

Reactions: WhereNow&How
You also may want to check the manufacturer's web site for more details and more products:

http://www.dipol.biz/products/termaldev__trashed/

Also, just as clarification, Ulis/Lyred do not make cores. They only make sensors and "core" is built around it. The source of cores in those devices is unknown to me.

Its a ULIS core, a.k.a. Lyred, he said the only component made in the PRC is the LRF. We think the ULIS cores are made in France, but neither he nor I have toured the factory, so can't be sure. But that's the theory.

What’s up with all these weirdo countries like ursikstan and durkadurkaland making thermals now. And who are we as Americans to support these fine folk of the goat tribes? Buy American , end of story: that way if you ever need to use your thermal against something shooting back, you not only have more peace of mind that it’s less likely to fail, but that you have the edge over tech that’s produced in sweat shops and mud huts. Not to mention where the money your working for must be going when buying these third tier optics.
Buy L3, Buy Nvision, Buy Trijicon.
Merica.

Look who’s all Captain America now that he scored an LWTS-LR! :p

Remember: We knew you when you were a nobody eating out of dumpsters with your lowly CNVD.

Last edited:
Buy American , end of story: that way if you ever need to use your thermal against something shooting back, you not only have more peace of mind that it’s less likely to fail, but that you have the edge over tech that’s produced in sweat shops and mud huts.

Yeah, I tried to tell Flir that same exact thing. But they said shut up you lowly peon and crawl back in your hole. You don't deserve a Flir.

Merica.