• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Full size 45 side arm?

My vote is for USP.45. After owning some H&K I prefer them as combat Tupperware. I will admit after I bought my Kimber I refuse to carry anything else. I got the USP.40 when I used to carry the G22....I was a .40 fan because of capacity, availability, and it's cooler than 9mm but after I switched up to the Kimber Custom full size and did some work on her my O is set in stone! Best of luck with which ever route you choose!

I've got an XD 45 compact and I like it. I carried it IWB until i got my S&W 638. Now the XD stays in my pickup. If I want to carry something with more chances than the 638 I'll carry my Glock 19 or 23. But I like the XD, then again, I'm not a high end pistol guy.

I have the Glock G21 slim frame, the HK USP compact 45, the HK USP full size 45, and the Sig P220. All are solid performers. Go buy what feels best in your hand. For me, it's the G21 Slimframe. It is just so damn comfortable in my hand.

I have carried a full size 1911 (all stainless) for almost 20 years as an off duty weapon. While it may not be the ideal 45 to carry everyday, I don't like plastic guns even though we carry Glocks on duty. For the OP, there are a large number of options in .45's these days but I would question the logic of not using one of the high dollar models you already own. If you want it as a CC weapon, go with what you already have as you often get what you pay for. As long as it will fire without question every time you pull the trigger, that's what is important.

HK45
sig p227 new double stack 45
glock 21sf
M&P 45
XD 45
FNP 45

Personally I would avoid FNP & FNX 45 pistols and not suggest them.

The FNP has been discontinued and replaced with the FNX model. The FNP has an UN-supported chamber and mag issues with Winchester white box 230 FMJ ammo. The FNX is the re-designed FNP to avoid the kaboom and feeding issues with smaller magazine dimensions. Supposedly magazines DO NOT interchange per FN.

FNP Kaboom-

Well I had a kaboom in my new FMP-45....

The new FNX 45 still has some mag issues -

FNX 45 Tactical mag problems and follower wear spots...anybody have these problems?

It would appear that FN has design and / or build issues with the 45 caliber series guns and anything on your list is a better selection IMHO.
FN is HORRIBLE in supplying magazines for their products.

SPRINGER XDM or XDS, Double Stack 1911 count??

Picture110-1.jpg

buzz1.jpg

buzz2.jpg

Picture147.jpg

Picture145.jpg

Well I just ended getting all of them first found a 21 sf and liked it. Then found a new hk45 it is just awesome!!! And also picked up and xds. The xds is surprising ly nice. It shots well is small. Soi am going to spend a lot of time shooting and training with them but as of now I think the plan is to carry the xds, glock will live in locked truck box and enjoy shooting the the hell out of the hk! It is my first hk and can see the big deal. They are as well maybe as the older Mercedes when they were a well made German automobile! Now if they would only make a small version of the 45. The grip is better then any pistol I have ever felt! It is sad the compact 45 is not the sand grip!! If anyone has not seen and handled one, you are missing out. Only bad thing is you will buy one. The best description is imagine and mold of your hand then stippled on top of that!

I have a G21, FNP, HK45.
Hk is too nice for a truck pistol. $1k.
The Glock is a great option, but not SA/SA
THE FN IS VERY NICE. I went with after market wide notch sights. Forget the name. That gun is awesome. It's $700 range.

I would pick FN.

M&P. I have a full-size but wish I'd have gotten something a little smaller. Still, it shoots well, aims easily, recovers nicely. And with a Raven Concealment holster (which I'd never buy again), it's fairly concealable.

M&P .45 with Forward Set Sear and Trigger kit.

+1
This is what I would do. Good trigger and easy to install a little on the expensive side though.

Or

Just get a Glock

If you are wanting a gun that works well and you don't mind it getting cosmetic damage that is not too expensive, then one of the big three polymer frame guns is the way to go IMO. I've owned them all and prefer in this order M&P, Glock, XDM.

Just try them all out and pick the one you like the best.

Ill have to vote HK usp tactical, I bought one yesterday, I haven't had a 45 for a while but I have about 2500 rds of 45 ammo so I picked one up looking for a suppressor host. Now I don't consider myself a good pistol shot especially with 1911s I've had in the past, but this thing flat out shoots great, I couldn't believe my eyes! Recoil is about that of some 9mm I've shot. My friend, his girlfriend and I were both shooting groups at 20 yards that had holes touching, and at 50 yards of a log for a rest we were keeping them within a 4 to 5" group. We were so impressed we couldn't stop shooting and grining. We were taking turns with a single shot off hand at a 10"x10" steel plate at 50 yds and had hi hit ratios. It also ate steel case tula ,old reloads ,everything we put in it, it shot good. No buyers remorse here!

Since not as much M&P love as I expected I'll throw another vote in on it. Though I was very happy with my HK45 as well.

My vote is for the FNX-45. 1911 ergonomics & accuracy. 'Nuff said.

-Accuracy - MUCH better than P220! MUCH better than Glock 19(haven't shot the 21), can drill 15 rounds extremely fast into 4" group at 25 yards. Show me a factory glock, sig, hk, or s&w that can do that.
-Reliability - Ran 300 rounds very fast during 1st range trip. No malfs. here. Don't know what "problems" people talk about, but mine has been 100%.
-Trigger - better than the HK P30(haven't felt USP or HK45), better than Sig P220
-Cost - Much cheaper than HK. Mags can be found. FNP mags will work in FNX, and the gun show last weekend had them for $39 or $49 each. Same as HK.
-Recoil - Even better than 1911, more of a push with less muzzle rise.

After 300 very fast rounds:
IMAG0153-1.jpg

Get a M&P and add the Apex DCAEK for carry use, hard to beat that combo. Glocks are great guns, just feels like you are holding a big square. The Gen4s are better but still not a M&P.

I have a Sig P250 in .45 for the store/website, that is a good feeling gun also but I have never used one.

I have a HK45 with a LEM trigger, it is a great gun that has not let me down yet. I shot USPSA limited 10 with it last year without a hiccup. I do not like HKs da/sa triggers though, LEM is the way to go.

Though I personally do not like Sigs, the p220 is an option with a good track record for reliability.

M&Ps are my new favorite pistols, dependable, good shooters and made here in the USA. This means more and more to me as the years go by.

Good luck,
George

Last edited:
I voted with my money...HK45. It is my first 45 and I am quite happy. It fits me well and I could shoot it well right away. My top priority was reliability, low maintenance and longevity. I few others have these characteristics, but this won out due to ergonomics- it just fit my hand nicely. With all of that said, I am thinking of a G36 or G30SF to try out. In addition to, not n stead of the HK45.

There are a lot of good options as others have pointed out. Although I am a 9mm guy I have owned and continue to shoot a number of .45 pistols.
If I could keep only one it would be my glock 21sf. It has a good capacity, sits comfortable in my hand(I have a large palm and medium size fingers), They are dirt simple, accurate and very reliable. The glock 21 has the advantage of being originally built for 10mm and was later adapted to the .45 so it is nuke proof. And parts are easily available. Any dealer can order any part from glock so you can get a small parts kits together for cheap.

Also I have noticed that the larger frame glocks seem have slightly better trigger than the rest of the range so I leave them alone whereas my 9mm glocks get a (-) connector.

This is not to take away anything from the other choices. I still have an hk 45c and it is a great pistol but the glock is a better shooter for less money IMO. The hk has more muzzle flip and I cant shoot it as accurately during fast strings of fire. Not to mention the ammount of cursing involved when changing any trigger parts. Try to rent some of the guns you are looking at because I just can't seem to like the sw mp pistols while my friend absolutely lovyour hem. you may have a different experience from myself or others on the board.

All those high dollar custom 1911s get a lot of fanfare, but I would put this CZ 97B up against any of them. Extremely accurate with the help of its frame and slide design.... the barrel doesn't move.

ypeba5a4.jpg
edegera9.jpg

Tapatalk2

HK45
sig p227 new double stack 45
glock 21sf
M&P 45
XD 45
FNP 45

you really can't go wrong, just find the one that fits your hand the best. i like the top three as my choices but that doesn't say anything bad against the other options just that the top three i like the feel of better.

and i have to say i have multiple 3k dollar plus 1911's and they get treated no diferent then my glock 21sf, i beat em all. they are all tools, just like my AIAW gets treated same as a r700

This is an excellent list. All but the XD would have been part of my suggested choices - only because I have no experience with it.

Well, I guess what I may think and what I follow are two different things. I like some of the other weapons out there, I think those 1911's are slick. But I have a shitload of Glocks and Smith revolvers. They just work.

The .45 Glock is a good pistol. I seldom shoot .45, I prefer 10mm, but I've had that G21 since '98 or so. I also have one of the original Glocks from the 80's, a late Gen. 1 9mm and that thing works like a clock.

Basically, if you want it to work, the Glocks do it pretty good.

Lotta good pistols out there these days I reckon.
For me, I still love my 1994 P220.
Bout any way you go, you'll prolly be ok imo.

My vote would be for the FN 45. I haven't shot one yet, but have handled a few. Have heard nothing but good about them and you can't beat 15+1 capacity.

HK45 or HK45C are great choices compared to the 1911 offerings. I currently carry a HK45CT and I have ran the shit out of it and it rocks along without a tick.