• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Funny & awesome pics, vids and memes thread (work safe, no nudity)

b25b1d6cec8e301a07edc8821a2c93b81cc69b1c.jpg

A U.S. Marine rifleman inspects a destroyed Japanese tank on the island of Tarawa on November 23, 1943. The Marines secured the island after 3 days of brutal fighting.
(Photo courtesy of USMC)

Several excellent books about the invasion of Tarawa including "One Square Mile of Hell", 76 Hours & Bloody Tarawa among a few. There is a new trilogy on the battle that I have yet to read by James F Dwyer but plan to. Three days of savage fighting with 4 MOH's awarded of which 3 were posthumously. Two from Texas and one from New Mexico.

Several excellent books about the invasion of Tarawa including "One Square Mile of Hell", 76 Hours & Bloody Tarawa among a few. There is a new trilogy on the battle that I have yet to read by James F Dwyer but plan to. Three days of savage fighting with 4 MOH's awarded of which 3 were posthumously. Two from Texas and one from New Mexico.
One Square Mile of Hell is an incredible book....

Sirhr

Reactions: Sgt47
b25b1d6cec8e301a07edc8821a2c93b81cc69b1c.jpg

A U.S. Marine rifleman inspects a destroyed Japanese tank on the island of Tarawa on November 23, 1943. The Marines secured the island after 3 days of brutal fighting.
(Photo courtesy of USMC)

Looks like one of the former enemy in the lower left.

Been doing some good USMC Pacific reading last few months, mostly 1st Mar Div but got what looks to be a good 8th Marines Tarawa one coming up.

Sad 8th Marines and 2nd Tanks are no more.

Looks like one of the former enemy in the lower left.

Been doing some good USMC Pacific reading last few months, mostly 1st Mar Div but got what looks to be a good 8th Marines Tarawa one coming up.

Sad 8th Marines and 2nd Tanks are no more.
Pmclaine:

Been a military history buff since I was a kid and have read many books on the Island campaigns. Some of my favorites are as follows:

76 Hours
With the Old Breed
Helmet for My Pillow
Brotherhood of Heroes
Battleground Pacific
By Dammit We Are Marines
The Devil's Anvil
From the Volcano to the Gorge
Islands of the Damned (one of my favorites)
Iwo Assault on Hell
Last Man Standing
Lions of Iwo Jima
One Square Mile of Hell
Red Blood, Black Sand
Utmost Savagery
Neptunes Inferno
Toll's Pacific Trilogy
Bloody Tarawa

My father's cousin Carlos Fulgenzi won the Silver Star on Guadalcanal as an 18 year old Marine. We used to go to his house when I was a kid and both he and my father were decorated combat veterans. Most of the fathers in the neighborhood were WWII combat vets and even a couple of Bataan survivors. Amazing how that generation did what they had to do and for the most part returned to normal lives after the war. Father came from a working class family and thanks to the GI Bill allowed him to go to college and law school and be a career FBI agent. In later life he struggled with the demons from his time in combat and found solace in the bottle. Thankfully the overcame them prior to his passing.

Last edited:
Until 20 months ago I had the privilege of sharing a beer on occasion with a nice man, Marine, who was on Iwo Jima and Guadacanal.
Great guy to talk with. some good stories. Kindest gentlemen in front of the ladies, 24 years in USMC when having a beer with the boys! Class act all the way. Even had a dog named Gunny!

He lived at home, alone after his wife passed and they had raised 5 kids. Found passed on in his dining room, had been getting breakfast around. 92 yrs old

RIP Ed

those pics and story made it just like was telling one again.

Pmclaine:

Been a military history buff since I was a kid and have read many books on the Island campaigns. Some of my favorites are as follows:

76 Hours
With the Old Breed
Helmet for My Pillow
Brotherhood of Heroes
Battleground Pacific
By Dammit We Are Marines
The Devil's Anvil
From the Volcano to the Gorge
Islands of the Damned (one of my favorites)
Iwo Assault on Hell
Last Man Standing
Lions of Iwo Jima
One Square Mile of Hell
Red Blood, Black Sand
Utmost Savagery
Neptunes Inferno
Toll's Pacific Trilogy
Bloody Tarawa

My father's cousin Carlos Fulgenzi won the Silver Star on Guadalcanal as an 18 year old Marine. We used to go to his house when I was a kid and both he and my father were decorated combat veterans. Most of the fathers in the neighborhood were WWII combat vets and even a couple of Bataan survivors. Amazing how that generation did what they had to do and for the most part returned to normal lives after the war. Father came from a working class family and thanks to the GI Bill allowed him to go to college and law school and be a career FBI agent. In later life he struggled with the demons from his time in combat and found solace in the bottle. Thankfully the overcame them prior to his passing.
Until 20 months ago I had the privilege of sharing a beer on occasion with a nice man, Marine, who was on Iwo Jima and Guadacanal.
Great guy to talk with. some good stories. Kindest gentlemen in front of the ladies, 24 years in USMC when having a beer with the boys! Class act all the way. Even had a dog named Gunny!

He lived at home, alone after his wife passed and they had raised 5 kids. Found passed on in his dining room, had been getting breakfast around. 92 yrs old

RIP Ed

those pics and story made it just like was telling one again.

Went to USMC birthday Luncheon last year with my friend Mario, WWII Marine....

1606217139719.png

These are "Young Marines" high schoolers with their I&I instructors....

1606217247273.png

I hope they realize the history they are in the presence of....the Sgt Major did.

The luncheon was cancelled this year. Its an event Mario looks forward too. CV19 sucks.

Turns 100 in January.

@Sgt47 how you been feelin bro?
Better than I deserve. :) Bone pain was less this time, but losing my sense of taste. We're having Thanksgiving tonight, as my chemo treatment is tomorrow. Only one more chemo treatment left after this one and then radiation starts. I'm excited that I'll be done with chemo for Christmas!

Thanks! for asking and keep on praying.
🙏