• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Funny & awesome pics, vids and memes thread (work safe, no nudity)

1631103644565.png

I'm pissed too, but be realistic. Would you have disarmed our allies, the Afghan Security Forces, right before we left?
Take back what we gave them? saying what in front of the world? Now that we don't need you to be cannon fodder for us, we want our gear back?
It sucks they fell, and every assessment said they would, but I'm not so soulless as be "that guy".

Reactions: mmahoney
Is that anything like an educated person believing anyone without an advanced degree must be a moron?
I don't see that, I often find people side by side doing the same job and some have degrees and some don't. When we post positions we say X degree or equivalent experience.

I've interviewed PHD and MBA candidates that lost to a High School education with experience and vice versa. People confuse education with intelligence and experience with judgment. Neither one guarantees the other.

I don't see that, I often find people side by side doing the same job and some have degrees and some don't. When we post positions we say X degree or equivalent experience.

I've interviewed PHD and MBA candidates that lost to a High School education with experience and vice versa. People confuse education with intelligence and experience with judgment. Neither one guarantees the other.

I was speaking in generalities.

I agree with your last statement. I'd bet the MBAs and PhDs you didn't hire think you're an idiot for choosing a lesser educated candidate.

I was speaking in generalities.

I agree with your last statement. I'd bet the MBAs and PhDs you didn't hire think you're an idiot for choosing a lesser educated candidate.
Mabe, but my interviews require more demonstrations of prowess than reply upon taking credit for past work they may or may not be honest about. I think by the time I asked the fifth question they understood they didn't fit the job.

My ego especially, I don't have a degree and love pointing out the higher degrees that work for me. But, ego aside, I have to hire the best person for the job, and other than degrees getting paid more in lower positions than non, it doesn't matter much today.

I deal a lot with technology that is rapidly changing. A 20 year old with some tech classes may be better off than a 50 year old when it comes to machine learning and big data. Staying educated is the battle.

Reactions: mmahoney
Man i can't even come in here without you dogs bitching about big degrees.

Cept MBAs. Those people are truly worthless.

Obligatory Joke:
When making a three during a basketball game it is no longer advisable to yell 'Active Shooter in the Building'

My ego especially, I don't have a degree and love pointing out the higher degrees that work for me. But, ego aside, I have to hire the best person for the job, and other than degrees getting paid more in lower positions than non, it doesn't matter much today.

I deal a lot with technology that is rapidly changing. A 20 year old with some tech classes may be better off than a 50 year old when it comes to machine learning and big data. Staying educated is the battle.

I work with several people that have masters, a few more that have PHD's, most have bachelors degrees and a few do not have degrees at all.

We are all scientist, engineers, physicist or safety people.

The smartest guy I know, and one of the smartest guys on the military installation I work on is a physicist. Bachelor's degree is what he has, but he is 65 and was a Navy nuke power guy back in the day. Being 65 has probably slowed him down a bit, but he's a mental rock star.

The dumbest guy I know claims to have two masters degrees, tells everyone regularly how smart he is. Of course he proves otherwise. He got hired at the entry level, but because he is almost 50 and allegedly has all this education he feels as though it is below him to do entry level work.

There are 3 women that I work with, two are engineers and one is a biologist. They are all smart, charming and funny, and easy to be around. One of them has very rough grammar, and I have to rewrite every item she publishes. One is a chemical engineer, she is rather brilliant but victimizes herself daily.

I have a bachelors degree in biology. I don't feel like I learned anything groundbreaking in school. I learned more in 20 years in the military, and in my professional classes for my certifications. I personally believe trade schools or professional education is more valuable for most people than classical education is.

Another guy who is also 65, doesn't have a degree. He isn't stupid, but basic computer things stifle him. Anything beyond microsoft word. He knows the 2-3 things professionally he learned to do 20 years ago. Doesn't keep up with changes in environmental or safety law, and spends his entire day on the phone talking to his buddies or watching videos. I love him like a brother, but I am going to be happy when he retires at the end of the year. Any time he talks to a woman he sexually harasses her. He comments on every single thing they wear and what they look like.

I usually have to hire 2-3 people a year, I also sit on about another 5-6 hiring panels a year for other departments. It is easy to see who is intelligent and who is just educated. Who will move forward and kick ass at their job and who won't.

Sometimes you hire someone that you were lead to believe will be awesome, only to have some growing pains and they they blossom and are a team member.

Sometimes you hire someone who just sucks the life out of your organization.

For my last vacancy I had 80 resumes to sort through. I ranked them, they sent emails to 30 to see who was still interested. Sadly I lost a big portion of those 30, I think I was at 12 after the emails went out. Then as a group we looked at the 12 and sorted them again, and averaged them out. We interviewed the top 5. Had only planned on interviewing the top 3, but they all sucked in the interview. I gave the job to number 4.

Here is how it fleshed out.
1. 30 years experience, couldn't hire because they lied during the interview.
2. 8 years experience, PHD in the profession, horrible supervisor comments when I called references.
3. 30 years experience, Masters degree, retired LTCOL, told me "did you look me up on facebook, I have a resting bitch face you may not want to hire me".
4. 15 years experience, bachelors degree, very smooth interview, good reference check. Hired this one no brainer.
5. 15 years experience local hire, bachelors degree, couldn't answer basic questions about the position.