• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Funny & awesome pics, vids and memes thread (work safe, no nudity)

IMG_4788.jpeg

I put a lot of hours in on a mill like that when my buddy was building his cabin. For as simple as they are it’s amazing what they would cut.
A bandsaw mill is a lot simpler, but way slower and less versatile. My grandpa's is a mobile dimension saw, and I think they still make them. It's got two edgers, so once you've got the first board off, you can get two with each following pass if they're narrow. It's got an aircooled VW engine punched out to something like 1800cc, and a rope that wraps around the crank to start it. Something like 14 V-belts to drive everything, and no clutch to disengage them for starting either. I've got some of the 8x10 promotional shots from when he bought it, showing one of them cribbed up on about a 12-14' log, just working away at it. It came on a trailer that could be used to pull it to a site in the woods, but he always used it as a stationary saw.
Kristian

Reactions: Lawless
A bandsaw mill is a lot simpler, but way slower and less versatile. My grandpa's is a mobile dimension saw, and I think they still make them. It's got two edgers, so once you've got the first board off, you can get two with each following pass if they're narrow. It's got an aircooled VW engine punched out to something like 1800cc, and a rope that wraps around the crank to start it. Something like 14 V-belts to drive everything, and no clutch to disengage them for starting either. I've got some of the 8x10 promotional shots from when he bought it, showing one of them cribbed up on about a 12-14' log, just working away at it. It came on a trailer that could be used to pull it to a site in the woods, but he always used it as a stationary saw.
Kristian
NGL, that’s pretty cool. How do you reckon it would cut through something like mesquite? Twists and turns all though it with a ton of knots.

NGL, that’s pretty cool. How do you reckon it would cut through something like mesquite? Twists and turns all though it with atone of knots.
Probably be slow going, but it's got carbide inserts on the main and edger blades, so it would probably cut fine as long as it's good and sharp, and no rocks hiding in it. I think it'll cut something like a 5"x14" beam, the shot I posted earlier was just using the bottom edger to clean up some green maple slabs my brother cut with his chainsaw. The widest slabs we did that day was 28", so multiple passes for sure.
IMG_20200628_154447_1.jpg
IMG_20200628_185532.jpg

We shouldn't have bothered with squaring them up while green, I wasn't able to get near enough weight on them to stop them from warping while drying. They've been drying in my shed for 3 years now, probably going to make a table and a couple benches for the deck out of them. I've also got a fir tree that split off into 3 to use as a base.
IMG_20181124_123638479_HDR.jpg

Kristian

Kristian
Yep that’s identical to my buddy’s, they pulled it out of some blackberries and gave a guy a $1000 bucks for it. I helped them rebuild the saw and engine on it. Back when he was building logging roads he could bring home 5-6 foot diameter fir old growth. We cut a lot of that for the main structure of the cabin. For siding we did cedar.

Yep that’s identical to my buddy’s, they pulled it out of some blackberries and gave a guy a $1000 bucks for it. I helped them rebuild the saw and engine on it. Back when he was building logging roads he could bring home 5-6 foot diameter fir old growth. We cut a lot of that for the main structure of the cabin. For siding we did cedar.
That sounds like a pretty good life right there. Beats the hell out of a cubicle farm.

That's some big fir. There's a few trees like that around here still, but not many. I was back to the biggest one I've seen around here last week, but it's dead now. My dad cut some similar size ones from the same area back in the 70's and said they were between about 450-600 years old.
IMG_20230725_152411.jpg

Kristian

Probably be slow going, but it's got carbide inserts on the main and edger blades, so it would probably cut fine as long as it's good and sharp, and no rocks hiding in it. I think it'll cut something like a 5"x14" beam, the shot I posted earlier was just using the bottom edger to clean up some green maple slabs my brother cut with his chainsaw. The widest slabs we did that day was 28", so multiple passes for sure.View attachment 8194593View attachment 8194592
We shouldn't have bothered with squaring them up while green, I wasn't able to get near enough weight on them to stop them from warping while drying. They've been drying in my shed for 3 years now, probably going to make a table and a couple benches for the deck out of them. I've also got a fir tree that split off into 3 to use as a base.
View attachment 8194595
Kristian
Dang bro that looks like so much fun to be able to do that.

The guy I buy from is turning it all over to his son but he’s still out there every day. I bought a little chainsaw guide to try to cut some beams but haven’t used it yet.

Very jelly over here.

the last 3 and a bit years should have taught us to listen to everything and believe nothing

its not necessarily DOT.

Lots of "classic cars" get spun out, dented or wrecked due to old tires. It killed Paul Walker.

A SIL inherited a 2015 Mustang GT350 that was nearly impossible to drive in wet weather due to the age of the tires. It was scary to drive.
Being stupid killed Paul Walker.

Reactions: Sandhog308
A bunch of car companies saying it STILL doesn't make it a Department of Transportation law or regulation. Also, I was in my local Discount Tire getting a tire patched a few weeks back, and their sign said 8 years. So it's not even a consistent message in the tire/car industry.
(I specifically paid attention to tire age, because I knew how old my tires are, and don't have money to replace them right now.)
It also depends on the tire itself, how it is made, how it is stored, is it sitting on a car outside or is it un mounted in a dark cool room. There are many things that go into it.

Story time:

Many moons ago when a Cadillac dealership also had the Jaguar franchise I worked for them. Major Cadillac in KC. The Jags did not move real well, and got discounted pretty heavy near the end of the model year. This is XJ6 days. (Still love that car)

When sold they would come back with horrid vibrations, wheels out of balance, and they flat would not balance. Pull them down and inside there would be these little golf ball sized rubber balls.

What was happening the tire was coming apart from the inside, the car sitting for so long ruined the tires. I had never seen anything like it. Several cars had the issue.

I also had race tires that left un mounted and in my garage went three years before being mounted and run, I did not notice any difference. Differences in tire brands and compounds yes but old and new, no.....but they are not that old.

I still have a few old cars that don't see a great deal of use. One with "real" wire wheels, tubes in the tires. On the tubeless general shape of the tire will be looked at, and I will make a decision to keep or replace. If I know the history and know that car has sat on flat tires for even a year yes I will replace it, or if it has been outside I will replace it.

Same with motorcycles, depends more on condition then age.

I love this car.....but then again I do like the orphans. I really enjoyed this video.

Got to talking about "unloved" cars, and told a story of a Chevette diesel I saw at a local car show not long ago, it was perfect. You just don't see them anymore and it was getting quite a bit of attn.

Seen one mustang you seen them all, but when was the last time you saw a perfect showroom fresh chevette. You know you would stop and look.

It also depends on the tire itself, how it is made, how it is stored, is it sitting on a car outside or is it un mounted in a dark cool room. There are many things that go into it.

Story time:

Many moons ago when a Cadillac dealership also had the Jaguar franchise I worked for them. Major Cadillac in KC. The Jags did not move real well, and got discounted pretty heavy near the end of the model year. This is XJ6 days. (Still love that car)

When sold they would come back with horrid vibrations, wheels out of balance, and they flat would not balance. Pull them down and inside there would be these little golf ball sized rubber balls.

Sounds like bias ply.

Called a TeePee burner, used to incinerate waste from the sawmill in the days before value added products. Had a half dozen in my neighborhood in the 60's, now only 1 or 2 are standing. Used to drive by them at night and the would be glowing red/ orange ! I really need to stop and get a photo before the last of them go away.

Reactions: SONIC SAAMI
I would pick a bone with this, it was not the 60's. It was in 1979. Now what happened in 1979?

View attachment 8194730

I won’t disagree with the department of education reference.

But ask yourself the question:

Who was responsible for creating it staffing it and who were running the schools by that point. 20- and 30-somethingsomething former 60s hippie radicals.

Who the hell do you think is running the Senate and the deep state now? All these septagenarian fruit bats are former Woodstock acid washed hippies who infiltrated government and are trying to create their shining path before they die.

And huge numbers of them were compromised by the KGB back in the 1960s. Because through the US Canada Institute and other fronts, the Soviet union was massively driving the peace movement and the drug movement and all the other radicals.

Yep, it took them until the 1970s. And then another 40 years to get to where they run everything. But make no mistake about it. These are fullbore communist radicals at every level.

Fortunately, they’re all going to die soon. Of old age. And I have a lot of faith in Gen X and their ability to bring us back from the brink.

Cheers.

I thought it was the corner, or was it the tree, or the light post, or the fire?

“For an unknown reason, the driver lost control of the vehicle and the vehicle partially spun around and began to travel in a south-easterly direction.” The coroner report stated, “The vehicle then struck a sidewalk and the driver’s side struck a tree and then a light post. The force of these collisions caused the vehicle to spin 180 degrees and it continued to travel in an easterly direction. The passenger side of the vehicle then struck a tree and it then burst into flames.”

It was the age of the tires that caused the loss of control on what was a pretty routine test drive. I’m surprised this is not common knowledge here.

Reactions: dinc
I won’t disagree with the department of education reference.

But ask yourself the question:

Who was responsible for creating it staffing it and who were running the schools by that point. 20- and 30-somethingsomething former 60s hippie radicals.

Who the hell do you think is running the Senate and the deep state now? All these septagenarian fruit bats are former Woodstock acid washed hippies who infiltrated government and are trying to create their shining path before they die.

And huge numbers of them were compromised by the KGB back in the 1960s. Because through the US Canada Institute and other fronts, the Soviet union was massively driving the peace movement and the drug movement and all the other radicals.

Yep, it took them until the 1970s. And then another 40 years to get to where they run everything. But make no mistake about it. These are fullbore communist radicals at every level.

Fortunately, they’re all going to die soon. Of old age. And I have a lot of faith in Gen X and their ability to bring us back from the brink.

Cheers.
I agree as well,

I think a lot of the Gen X people are looking at this shit show and saying, this is just not right. Now we all know there are people on the other side of the argument, but I really think there is not as many of those as we are lead to believe. A "silent majority" I think is a thing. The people that just want to be left the hell alone and do their own thing, send their kids to school, work, pay taxes, buy a house......... but they are seeing the attack on those things, those base 1 things and now they are getting noisy. And they are coming together. Nothing will bring a trump hat wearing guy and a feminist mother together faster then a tranny following the daughter into the bathroom. Or learning in the school the finer points of anal sex. They have pushed the line for decades and finally found where "normal" people will come together and say enough of this shit, this is just crazy.

I also think the millennials and Gen Z (my son) are not having any of this.....again for the most part. They see the pure evil of all this and are not liking it one bit. the 20's 30's 40's are not liking this one bit.

Reactions: Rich4 and BScore
Yes he blew it and did not ask for a parking lot test of the tires.

Its also stupid to not learn from his mistake.

Paul Walker was a solid guy. And anything but stupid.
Doing what he did, where he did it is pure stupid, on a Darwin award level. Yes he was very stupid.

Reactions: Two36

Story time:

What was happening the tire was coming apart from the inside, the car sitting for so long ruined the tires. I had never seen anything like it. Several cars had the issue.

I also had race tires that left un mounted and in my garage went three years before being mounted and run, I did not notice any difference. Differences in tire brands and compounds yes but old and new, no.....but they are not that old.

I still have a few old cars that don't see a great deal of use. One with "real" wire wheels, tubes in the tires. On the tubeless general shape of the tire will be looked at, and I will make a decision to keep or replace. If I know the history and know that car has sat on flat tires for even a year yes I will replace it, or if it has been outside I will replace it.

Same with motorcycles, depends more on condition then age.
Would that be during the days of Calvin Coolidge?
385459_283240028377795_459055204_n.jpg

So that would have been on State Line? You love the XJ6 S3? They spanned a lot of years.
You mentioned golf balls but never mentioned the condition of the inner liner of the tire as I suspect could have been a heat issue. Also, you never addressed the year nor the tire brand, I have very little to go on.