• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Funny & awesome pics, vids and memes thread (work safe, no nudity)

IMG_5752.jpeg

By far my favorite aircraft of all time…thanks for posting that video; I hadn’t seen it before.

i-jfgxzJT-X2.jpg

i-bRZr45f-X3.jpg

i-Wj4fk8B-S.jpg
i-n4QX9wQ-L.jpg

And the ”new” F4 was my favorite jet…even got a couple flights in them as we were transitioning to F16s during one of the summer programs we did when I was a cadet at the AF Academy.

Proof that if you put enough engine onboard, you can make a brick fly!

i-PsgPZk4-M.jpg
i-NjwHXv5-XL.jpg

i-mCH7K83-4K.jpg

i-QpLbpqW-X3.jpg

And the ”new” F4 was my favorite jet…even got a couple flights in them as we were transitioning to F16s during one of the summer programs we did when I was a cadet at the AF Academy.

Proof that if you put enough engine onboard, you can make a brick fly!

i-PsgPZk4-M.jpg

i-QpLbpqW-X3.jpg
The Phantom originally looked like this:

McDonnell_F3H-G_mockup_in_1954.jpg

But the tall rudder would not fit into the Navy Carriers hangers. So they made it shorter.

To improve lack of directional stability caused by the smaller tail they gave the elevator some anhedral so that it contributed something to that.

That anhedral made the roll characteristics bad, so they cocked the wingtips up to give then some dihedral to counteract the anhedral of the elevator.

And thus you get the classic Phantom shape....

I just came across this, found it interesting. Hopefully it does not cause any flashbacks.

There is an excellent book on SOG and Phoenix… but the title escapes me.

Also “We Few” by Nick Brockhausen is an absolutely incredible book. The sequel will explain what happened to the Half track. It is an even better story over beers.

Also “Across the wire” by John Stryker-Meyer is amazing book. Ignore the typos.

Cheers.

Sirhr

The Phantom originally looked like this:

View attachment 8360164

But the tall rudder would not fit into the Navy Carriers hangers. So they made it shorter.

To improve lack of directional stability caused by the smaller tail they gave the elevator some anhedral so that it contributed something to that.

That anhedral made the roll characteristics bad, so they cocked the wingtips up to give then some dihedral to counteract the anhedral of the elevator.

And thus you get the classic Phantom shape....
Otherwise known as aerodynamic band aids.

Also “We Few” by Nick Brockhausen is an absolutely incredible book. The sequel will explain what happened to the Half track. It is an even better story over beers.

Cheers.

Sirhr
I have read those, I have been on a Vietnam book kick lately, done a few on helicopter pilots lately, and currently doing on on a Bird Dog pilot.

Cheers.

Sirhr
SOG by John Plaster is pretty good. Lots of stories about Billy Waugh, Roy Benevidez, and Jerry Shriver.

SOG by John Plaster is pretty good. Lots of stories about Billy Waugh, Roy Benevidez, and Jerry Shriver.
Hid "picture book" is also very nice, a little expensive but a great resource if you are interested in that kind of thing.

1709141456054.png

Reactions: quietmike