• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns funny story, sig vs glock

corey4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2012
pittsburgh pa
so i took the wife to a hand gun instructor today. indoor range, and we had to buy their ammo. <-------remember this

he asked what we brought to our class and i told him 2 sig 226 9mm, and 2 sig 938 9mm. he kinda made a face, curled his nose and said, "i am not impressed." he went on with how much better glocks are, blah, blah, blah.

mind you, i am not bashing glocks.

i preceded to tell him that they all bang everyitme you pull the trigger, sigs are what we like and that is what really matters. he replies with a "no they don't. i have seen sigs fail blah blah blah. my glocks goes bang blah blah blah"

he went on again to tell me that 9mm are stupid, a glock 45 is the best, blah blah blah. he can have my wife shooting a glock 45 better than a sig 9mm blah blah blah.

so, my wife is a horrible shot. she only shot the 226 maybe 100 rounds and the 938 20 rounds about a week ago to get her familiar with the guns before our class.

and of course, she was doing bad. that's fine. she is new.

so the instructor pulls out his super duper glock 45 for her because "i can have her shooting a glock 45 better". she looks at me with concern and asks if it is going to kick harder. of course i told her no.

EDIT #2 (1-24-13 6:07 pm EST) i can't beleive i forgot this the first time:
as he pulls out his super duper glock 45, he brags about how much better the trigger is because he had it reworked to a 1.5lb pull. there is no creep in the trigger. he showed my wife the difference, and i agree, i get it. then he preceded to say the sig triggers are junk compared to his super duper glock trigger, the... he literally said this..., "the gun will go off before you even realized you pulled the trigger resulting in a perfect shot". again, i agree and i get it.

she gets ready....BANG!!!
she gets ready....click....

the instructor goes over, clears the malfunction

so at this point, i'm thinking the instructor is giving her dud/snap caps every other round because she kept flinching the whole class. the indoor range is obviously louder than the outdoor range we went to. i was thinking he was trying to get her to not to anticipate.

he looks at me and says "we have crappy ammo here"

hmmmmm......now i see what is going on. when he was with her, i just let him do his thing and teach and didn't interrupt.

he gets all huffy, hands her the little 938 thinking it is going to do the same thing. it goes bang for all 7 rounds. looks around, gives her the 226, it goes bang for all 15 rounds.

he was kinda pissed that his super duper glock 45 kept having malfunctions.

so after he realized he had to eat his words, i tactfully pointed out that my wife was limp wristing the 45 and that is why to wouldn't go into battery.

"oh oh oh, yeah i know."

EDIT: to clear up some confusion from a few PMs, this is exactly what we took today:
sigfamily_zps9a7d2de4.jpg

Re: funny story, sig vs glock

he was kind of an arrogant ass. but i did learn one thing about my sight picture and gun position. and my wife thinks she learned some things too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No kidding, sounds like you could probably do a better job. lol </div></div>

she wont listen to me. that is why she wanted to take a class.

Thanks for that....I had a good laugh. Good on ya for not rubbin' it in the instructor's face.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: corey4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No kidding, sounds like you could probably do a better job. lol </div></div>

she wont listen to me. that is why she wanted to take a class. </div></div>

Thats what I figured, I can relate.

what range was it? i used to live out in Pittsburgh and i've been to most of the ranges out there.

My words I begin every class I teach with. They are an explanation of something my first and best instructor told me... His words were," there is no room in this for ego, there is no best." that was in 1990 since then I developed a philosophy from those very words
My words and philosophy
"There is no such thing as the best, only the best one can be on his or her best day and an effort to make each day your best. Having said that there is no room at all in this lifestyle for arrogance. When you let your id take over and get the best of you you will fail to improve. When you are humble and pay attention there is always something to be learned even if from an unexpected source. All great things begin with humility."
Remy Taiho Yamauchi
If there are any instructors, feel free to use this just give me credit for it. After all, It took me 20 years to come up with

WOW!!! I mean we all have our preferences, but what I tell customers at the store is, get what fits YOU! Ex - Red Wing boots may fit my feet better than Danners. Danners may fit your feet better. Both are great boots, but get what works for you.

Not like you brought a hi-point or a Jimenez pistol to class!!!

I applaud your professionalism and restraint for what sounds like a pompous ass of an instructor!!

Nice pistols too by the way. Even though I do like my Glock 45s.
wink.gif

-G45

I have the 45 Glock 30. It functions perfect for me everytime. One day I took my girlfriend to the range and she kept having malfunctions. It took me a few minutes to realize she was limp wristing it. It seems to come up from time to time with the Glocks. I say get what works for you.

glock45, he gave me a talking to because i didn't let my wife pick out her own gun. i told him that she left it up to me to decide what to get. she has handled a few and i always got the "i duno". so i decide on the 938. had the XD-s 45 for carry gun for awhile, but that is another issue.

my reasoning for both of us having the same carry gun is so we can inter change mags if needed, or she can pick mine up and use it without having to think about it.

again, i am not saying sigs are better. i just wanted to share a story.

i was trying to give the guy some info to work from, and instead he turned into a fan boy. he should have just kept his mouth shut and pointed out the features of the guns to make my wife more comfortable.

This guy defintely doesnt sound like a very productive instructor. It would be one thing if you walked in with Hi-Points and were thinking you were hot s%&*. I am a huge fan of my glocks and love them but I have no issue with people that like XDs Sigs or any other major manufacturer. If I had someone coming to me wanting to learn to shoot and all they could afford was a very cheap pistol I might let them know that it will likely be less reliable but any gun is better then no gun and I would still make every effort to teach them everything I could. I would look for a new instructor before taking any further classes. Glocks are great but they arent the only fish in the sea.

The whole "get what fits" or "what feels best" argument is pretty lame anyway. If the gun isn't durable and reliable, it doesn't matter if it fits you. Logistics are important, and I'd say there's no fault in picking a quality pistol for your wife. A person should learn the fundamentals and be able to be proficient with any available sidearm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B3dlam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would be one thing if you walked in with Hi-Points and were thinking you were hot s%&*. </div></div>

WTF dude? What's wrong with Hi-Point?
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B3dlam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This guy defintely doesnt sound like a very productive instructor. </div></div>

the reason we went there was becuse she wanted to learn from someone other than me. she looks at it like i am telling her what do, not teaching.

the thing that kinda irks me is i kept telling him that her shoulders weren't square, her hand wasn't up as high as it needed to be. she kept leaning backwards, not slightly forwards, etc. her head was to the side, and not square. basically, she was shooting like girl. all i wanted was for him to relay the message. and the fact that i had to point it out to him was BS.

oh well...

she had fun, said she learned some things. our range trip a week before hand was a good call. i saw the little light come one a few times, "sooo that's what you were talking about!"

for those of you that have read it, please see EDIT #2.

i forgot one of the best parts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: corey4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B3dlam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This guy defintely doesnt sound like a very productive instructor. </div></div>

the reason we went there was becuse she wanted to learn from someone other than me. she looks at it like i am telling her what do, not teaching.

the thing that kinda irks me is i kept telling him that her shoulders weren't square, her hand wasn't up as high as it needed to be. she kept leaning backwards, not slightly forwards, etc. her head was to the side, and not square. basically, she was shooting like girl. all i wanted was for him to relay the message. and the fact that i had to point it out to him was BS.

oh well...

she had fun, said she learned some things. our range trip a week before hand was a good call. i saw the little light come one a few times, "sooo that's what you were talking about!" </div></div>

Hire some dude she has never met before - go to a local range - show him what you want him to show her - then have them meet and let him instruct her via your exact desires

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The whole "get what fits" or "what feels best" argument is pretty lame anyway. If the gun isn't durable and reliable, it doesn't matter if it fits you. Logistics are important, and I'd say there's no fault in picking a quality pistol for your wife. A person should learn the fundamentals and be able to be proficient with any available sidearm. </div></div>

Tyler - LAME argument? Really? I realize our military, many LE Agencies go with the "one firearm fits all" routine. There is sound reasoning for that(maintenance alone for one!) As individual practitioners of CCW we get the benefit of choosing what we carry.

I could race in a triathlon with a mountain bike - it would get me across the finish line, but it's FAR from fitting for the task. Likewise, person "x" may have small hands, a double stack Para 1911 .45 or NON G21sf is wrong choice for those people for fit alone.

I get what you're saying about proficiency and reliability. While I didn't say it directly, I kind of took that as the obvious. Once the firearm is reliable and the shooters feels that way about the firearm, then proficiency will come with good reps and frequent uninterrupted firing.

NOT pissing on your cornflakes, just hoped I made my point about fitting more clear.

safe shooting!

-G45

Corey - thanks for the update!

His elitist attitude is a large reason more people don't get into shooting. It is already intimidating enough without having to listen to people like that.

Ryan

Its right about the point where you think "Gee, everyone is a dumbass but me" you should really stop and have a critical thinking session. There is nothing wrong with a sig or a glock, they both have proven track records

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BreakBad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It was this guy, wasn't it?

160739.jpg
</div></div>

Hey buddy, where did u get that pic of me?? lol

Great story! I love my Sigs too. But unfortunately I shoot my Glock better and in my mind it makes me sick!

I cannnot believe an instructor would bash someones gun that they are going to be counting on. Its one thing to state preferences and why but its unreal he would tell a new shooter that her guns are crap.

I would say he lost all credibility at that point and I would hunt for a new instructor or even turn to DVDs before I spent money on him again.

Bad instruction. I saw limp wristing before I even finished half the post and I'm not an instructor. I guess sometimes they get the God complex. Doesn't say anything bad or good about either pistol as both work just fine.

I WILL TAKE THOSE CRAPPY 226S OFF YOUR HANDS FOR YOU
PM ME
wink.gif

There are many BAD instructors out there.]
They repeat what they hear, its mostly diarrhea of the mouth.
no real world practical knowledge.