• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Future AR-10 build

BoomStix

Private
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
Yukon, OK
I'm would like to start an AR build once I complete my bolt action rifle but honestly I don't know very much about them. For starters would there be any reason to get a piston over a gas operated AR other than cleaning and maintenance? I'm told that AR-10's don't have as many interchanable parts but I'm not really concerned about that (unless I should be lol). I would prefer the .308 over the .223 for range of 600+ yrds unless I am mistaken about that also. I guess what I'm asking is simply for someone to point me in a general direction of where to start with this project. I want to know as much as I can before I just start throwing money around and making expensive mistakes.

Re: Future AR-10 build

how far do you wanna shoot????? and both will be fine weapons. the 5.56X45mm is limited to about 500, 600 meters. The AR-10 will do about the same as an 7.62 bolt gun.

if you need anything else im me or email me.

scott

Figure out what you want to do with it first.

If you simply want a 308 gas gun I would start with a complete setup and customize to your liking rather than trying to build a gun from scratch.

The DI guns are traditionally more accurate than the piston guns even though the newer pistons have been shooting pretty well. I have never found the cleaning to be a issue.

If it were me I would just but a new Armalite AR10T. They now come with 20" barrels instead of 24's so it is a little more manageable.

If you dont want to spend that much get one of the DPMS guns.