• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fuzzy Reticle on Mosin Nagant PU Sniper Scope

bigskybound

Private
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2013
I just purchased a Mosin Nagant PU sniper rifle. The reticle is kind of "fuzzy" (I was told maybe flaking paint?). The "picket" has a fine point and optics are generally clear. Anyone else have this problem? fuzzy reticle.jpg

I just purchased a Mosin Nagant PU sniper rifle. The reticle is kind of "fuzzy" (I was told maybe flaking paint?). The "picket" has a fine point and optics are generally clear. Anyone else have this problem?View attachment 18260

I think I've seen your posts on other forums, as well. I doubt that the "fuzz" is flaked paint. In fact, even the smallest, microscopic pieces of dust or lint will cause this. So, it most likely is actually "fuzz". :D That one actually isn't that bad and I could probably live with it. But, to get rid of it, you would need to take the scope apart and carefully clean the reticle. Getting it apart and back together shouldn't be too difficult if you pay close attention to how it all works. However, getting it perfectly clean is another matter. Chances are that you would make it even worse unless you could eliminate all the dust/lint in the area which you are working and, more importantly, from the brush that you use to clean it. Personally, I would leave it alone.

Unscrew the eyepiece from the scope. Very very carefully wipe the reticle with a Q tip and some pure acetone. Cleaning reticles is a very delicate process, but can be done with a very light touch. Or you could use a new fine paintbrush from hobby lobby or store like that.

I think I will leave it alone for now and see how it performs on target. At some point I may send it out to be professionally refurbished, but want to have a backup scope during what I understand could be a long wait.