• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sidearms & Scatterguns G17 open build ***Completed***

K_4c

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Oct 13, 2008
    Nebraska
    I'm currently in the process of building a open G17... I'm on the fence between a milled RMR02 or a carver mounted cmore. I prefer the low mounted RMR with suppressor sights but have no experience with the rail mounted cmore kit. I'm considering a Vogel, Vanek, zev or edge trigger.

I have many Glocks and generally I don't mess with them to keep the reliability factory high, however, I want this build to run right on the edge of reliability while pulling out all the stops. I'll be running major (hand loads:))when the said build is compensated with 14 lbs ismi recoil spring and minor with a 12 lb spring (not comp).

So in a nut shell, here are my build components:

*RMR02 (6.5 moa) with suppressor sights or carver mounted c-more (8 moa)
    *stipple, trigger under cut job done by me
    * zev trigger, lighten striker w/3 pound spring
    *titanium safety plunger
    *storm lake threaded barrel
    *Taran tactical +6 base plates
    *12 and 14 lb recoil springs
    *jp mag well
    *jp mag release
    *carver 3 chamber comp
    *Ghost holster, belt and mags

Any insight here would greatly be appreciated... First hand experince would be much appreciated. I'm sticking with Glocks here guys.

Last edited:
    Frame is done

sm65c9.jpg

Last edited:
    I ended up with a whole TSD combat systems slide that came threaded with a fully supported chamber and milled for an RMR. Had a machinist friend who I'd asked to build me a comp, but that never happened. It's ok, because I'm happy shooting Limited and would probably just get a .38 Super if I wanted to try open.

Are you planning 147 grainers at +P+ velocities to make major ? And I'm not really sure about the RMR being the hot ticket for IPSC. It seems like a frame mounted rail/red dot combo may work better(because it won't be in motion on the slide). I've only got about 800rds through the TSD with RMR and it's taken a while to get used to the dot re-aquisition between shots. I'm really starting to pick up speed now though. Hits at extended distance are getting easy to make too.

That frame does look sweet. Good job. And I've had a Vanek in my G24 since I got it like 5-6 yrs ago. It's what I'm used to and I was of the opinion that it couldn't be beat. But I just picked up a Pyramid trigger from the glockstore.com and it, in combination with the Vanek slide components, is about the sweetest Glock trigger I've felt. Take up is less than half(both take-up and over-travel are totally adjustable). It breaks crisper and more firmly now. It's a little more stiff in pull weight department, but I'm able to break it over w/o disturbing the sights. I don't have much experience with the other triggers you listed. Sorry I couldn't be more help there.

I also think you can get +6 rds with extensions on a 9mm mag(for a total of 23rds). And I've heard your brass is toast after one firing(but it's still probably cheaper to shoot 9 major than it is a .38 Super). I'm taking an interest in this thread and if you come to the Sioux Falls, SD IPSC match on the 27th of April, you can try that Pyramid trigger setup.

-Nick

Thanks guys. Yes, I do my own stipple work (I like to tinker:)). As for the slide work, no. Thats all done by one source one tactical. I made a few changes in my parts list, hopefully for the better.

Hopefully, by the end of the week, I'll have it all ready to go!

pics to follow.

I ended up with a whole TSD combat systems slide that came threaded with a fully supported chamber and milled for an RMR. Had a machinist friend who I'd asked to build me a comp, but that never happened. It's ok, because I'm happy shooting Limited and would probably just get a .38 Super if I wanted to try open.

Are you planning 147 grainers at +P+ velocities to make major ? And I'm not really sure about the RMR being the hot ticket for IPSC. It seems like a frame mounted rail/red dot combo may work better(because it won't be in motion on the slide). I've only got about 800rds through the TSD with RMR and it's taken a while to get used to the dot re-aquisition between shots. I'm really starting to pick up speed now though. Hits at extended distance are getting easy to make too.

That frame does look sweet. Good job. And I've had a Vanek in my G24 since I got it like 5-6 yrs ago. It's what I'm used to and I was of the opinion that it couldn't be beat. But I just picked up a Pyramid trigger from the glockstore.com and it, in combination with the Vanek slide components, is about the sweetest Glock trigger I've felt. Take up is less than half(both take-up and over-travel are totally adjustable). It breaks crisper and more firmly now. It's a little more stiff in pull weight department, but I'm able to break it over w/o disturbing the sights. I don't have much experience with the other triggers you listed. Sorry I couldn't be more help there.

I also think you can get +6 rds with extensions on a 9mm mag(for a total of 23rds). And I've heard your brass is toast after one firing(but it's still probably cheaper to shoot 9 major than it is a .38 Super). I'm taking an interest in this thread and if you come to the Sioux Falls, SD IPSC match on the 27th of April, you can try that Pyramid trigger setup.

-Nick

Thanks for the feedback brother. I ended up going with the RMR simply for the low bore/sight axis. Plus, I can take off a few attachments and make it a defensive pistol and not a open only kit. I'll keep you updated and appreciate your feedback man. Helps a lot.

I was thinking 160 class projectiles pushed to 1150-1200 fps... I gotta run the numbers but that should be close to a major 9.

Last edited:
    Well, I decided to pick up another lower. I plan on buying the Carver custom kit to run on this lower....

23kah3d.jpg

under cut and polished:)
    244vcig.jpg

That's slick. What did those TTI base pads cost you ? That's the route I was going to go instead of Dawson's, like I've got on my .40 Limited gun. Also, how is that comp timed ? Cuz I really need one for my TSD(and I'm not gonna get a LW).

That's slick. What did those TTI base pads cost you ? That's the route I was going to go instead of Dawson's, like I've got on my .40 Limited gun. Also, how is that comp timed ? Cuz I really need one for my TSD(and I'm not gonna get a LW).

The base pads cost $40 a pop but they are very well made and came with the required spring. The comp is retained by red loctite (not sure I like that, but I talked with Bobby and he reassured me that we, as the end users, will have no issues once assembled).

To time the comp:

*Remove the slide
    *remove the recoil spring
    *with the barrel locked in the upper slide (still in battery), apply red loctite and thread the comp on until it contacts the slide face.
    *back the comp off until it lines up with the contour of the slide.
    *Find a straight edge to ensure the comp is flush with the slide.
    *Let the loctite set up
    *your finished

ps. Im going with a pyramid trigger on my other G17 build (it's getting carver/c-more kit).

Last edited:
    Thanks for the feedback brother. I ended up going with the RMR simply for the low bore/sight axis. Plus, I can take off a few attachments and make it a defensive pistol and not a open only kit. I'll keep you updated and appreciate your feedback man. Helps a lot.

I was thinking 160 class projectiles pushed to 1150-1200 fps... I gotta run the numbers but that should be close to a major 9.

I shot open for a while I found the best load was a 121 or 124 grain bullet with a very slow powder so you could take full advantage of the comp.

I shot open for a while I found the best load was a 121 or 124 grain bullet with a very slow powder so you could take full advantage of the comp.

You wouldn't mind sharing any load data would ya:)

sure,

[FONT=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]124gr montana gold at 1.155-1.160 OAL[/FONT]
    8gr HS6
    winchester small rifle printers

I would start at 7.0-7.2 and work my way up with a chrono

I have heard good things about
    autocomp but have no experience with it

sure,

[FONT=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]124gr montana gold at 1.155-1.160 OAL[/FONT]
    8gr HS6
    winchester small rifle printers

I would start at 7.0-7.2 and work my way up with a chrono

I have heard good things about
    autocomp but have no experience with it

Much appreciated sir. I'll certainly give them (124 MG's) a try (searching the web as we speak).

I'm going with 1k count on em... later make a run to my local gun store to pick up powder and then set my 550 press up for 9mm.

Looks like you dream glock is becoming a reality.....awesome stipple job too........

Do those TSD sights actually shoot to POA ? Cuz mine sure didn't. And I bought the whole slide from TSD. I was really disappointed in that aspect. I've since replaced both front and rear with a Dawson and a 10-8, respectively. I'm liking that stippling job and the overall appearance of your build :) although I would have ditched the palm swell(can't stand that).

Do those TSD sights actually shoot to POA ? Cuz mine sure didn't. And I bought the whole slide from TSD. I was really disappointed in that aspect. I've since replaced both front and rear with a Dawson and a 10-8, respectively. I'm liking that stippling job and the overall appearance of your build :) although I would have ditched the palm swell(can't stand that).

Haven't put a round thru it yet, but I'll be disappointed as well if that's the case. May I ask what your POA/POI was? mind putting a pic of your pistola up? I'd like to see your sights....

As for Glocks palm swell, I've grown to like/love it as I have a very aggressive thumbs forward grip which allows the proper/consistent sight alignment needed to find the dot. A few hundred more dry fires and I think I'll have it figured out (instinctively/muscle memory). All in all, its been a fun little project. I can't wait to tailor a major load for it and get a few thousand down the pipe.