• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redseal11

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2012
San Antonio,Texas
I have a G17 factory pistol that I recieved as an xmas gift 4 or so years ago. I'm wanting to do some upgrades in the range of $200-$300. I mainly use it as home defense/target/and side carry while hunting/shooting.

I've built 2-3 AR lowers but never modified pistols. Is this easily done with research on my part? Or should I send it off to do the work? If so where/who would ya'll recommend.

If you had a $200-$300 budget what would ya'll advise I do first:

Slide
Mag release
Trigger
Barrel...

Thanks

Re: G17 upgrades

25 cent trigger job
Jäger lightweight STEEL striker
Comp Spring kit
Lone Wolf Over Travel Stop ejector housing
3.5 connector

My G35 has a nice 2.5lb trigger from those mods

The best Glock barrel is a Glock factory barrel, I would only recommend changing it out if your going to shoot lead pills or need a threaded one for a suppressor, I like KKM drop ins.

The G34/35 slide stop and mag release are nice but the stock ones work just fine.

All you need to completely take apart a Glock is a 3/32 punch, no hammer, there are tons of you tube vids

Thanks for the replies...based on feedback I think I'm going to do:
1. Night sights
2. connector

at the minimum. Maybe trigger job and weapon light. I wasn't going to do light because I have several holsters that won't take a light attached...and to be honest I don't want to have to take it off. The other reason is the lights I looked at were 200-300 by themselves. Do they make like a QD attachment. what light would ya'll recommend?

Thanks for information and replies

I have a surefire x300 and it comes off in the same time it would take you to do a mag change

200-$300 budget... the best advice here is training, hands down. one that teaches the penal code for your location on the use of deadly force is the best money you’ll ever spend. if you want a fancy trigger try IDPA..

For under 300:
Heinie straight eight ledge night sights.
Decal rubber grip.
Insight M3X flashlight.
Vickers extended mag release if necesary.

Not so sure about night sights, but Steel Sights would be good. Take a gander at the XS Std Dots, the Big Dot is a monster but......, the new Trijicon HD series might be something that works better,

Biggest thing is see what your eyes pick up the fastest, the front sight that is....., as some shooters get fixed on the rears of 3 dot systems and lose focus/accuracy/speed. Just a thought. THus the Straight 8s or XS become faster, or go with a black rear and night front/colored front.

Beyond that - A good connector and polish job.

Ghost Rocket and/or the Bullet Fwd release aren't bad. Mag release work is wpn dependent, some are good and some need work/replacement.

Grip tape

Cheers

Thanks for ideas and suggestions. I do live in Texas and have my CCL so I'm good on legal stuff. I also shoot once a month to be honest, but have attended Front Site 4 day pistol course as well as dry fire practice.

I appreciate detailed suggestions on parts. I'll definitely do some online research around those parts

Barrel Ideas:

EFK Firedragon National Match barrels
Bar Sto
Lone Wolf Distr. - some like some don't
Storm Lake
Wilson Combat

or just shoot the tar out of the fact. unit if it shoots well for ya and BUY AMMO.

I think the #1 best upgrade for a G17 for defense is a magazine well. Get the aluminum CNC ones, not the crappy plastics. It will speed up reloads by cutting time in half. At least for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtnCreek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMO, all the extended controls for a Glock are more trubble than they're worth. As said above, clean it, polish the fire control with a little mothers or Very light buffing compound. The parts are coated and it is possible to cut through the coating that Glock put on them. Lighter connector if you want one. Best thing you could spend the cash on would be ammo and trigger time. Dry firing (No mags/ammo anywhere around!) is worth about as much (sometimes more) and it's free. Not sexy, but it would be the best $250 spent on your Glock, IMHO. </div></div>

Agreed. I put in a 3.5lb trigger in my G19 and wound up taking it out and reinstalling old trigger. 3.5lb was just too sensitive for my taste. You may want to try an extended slide and mag release. Simple changes.

If it was my money I would put on Redback-1 sights. (very fast and easy for me to pick up, I hate 3-dot sights)

And a surefire x300. nice thing is you can use this on your ar too if you have one. And to be honest your going to end up buying a shit ton more holsters, why not have one light capable too.

Night sights, light, holster that holds w/ the light attached, (key entry) mini safe (with cable lock; thick cable) to lock your gun in the car when you CC & are in a situation where you have to.
Other than that trigger time, ammo and targets.
As you excell and get more proficent taylor your customizations to your needs.

On a 2-300 dollar budget I would change the sights- I have the Redback 1 sights and they are nice, but I like the Dawsons a little better (my other guns have Dawsons so it could just be what I am used to). Do a .25 cent trigger job. Done.

Then find the nearest range that holds USPSA matches and start shooting under a timer.

http://proshop.tigerswan.com/tigerswan-custom-glock-17.aspx

There are some upgrades from the guys at TIGER SWAN.

I like the Vickers mag release, Ill shoot my barrel out before I replace it just to replace it. I have Trijicon night sights on it but am looking at the RedBack one sights. I tried the 3.5 lb trigger bar but it added creep to the trigger so I put back in the factory one with factory springs. I like the factory slide release as well, but I did add 3m grip tape to the grip to prevent slip.

Better sights are a good upgrade, but night sights are a waste of money most of the time. If you can't see your sights, you can't identify your target anyway.

A light is a must if you're using it for home defense, whether it be handheld or weapon mounted.

Ask yourself, where is the gun falling short in performance for you at this time? That will determine what you need to do to it. My guess is, the gun probably outshoots the shooter, just like most guns. Ammo would be the best investment.

for a carry defense weopon i would put a 3.5lb connector and night sights on it. I would not change the striker of the striker spring. These can cause light strikes and miss fires

Tungsten guide rod and warren tactical sights. Do your homework and get the right size sights.

I did the 25 cent trigger job, added a streamlight, devconed the grip and opened up the rear sight so I can see it, after that all cash goes for ammo.

899af762.jpg

549bb36b.jpg

The 10-8 FS with a brass insert is reasonably priced ($40) and is very visible in most lighting conditions. I put a .115x.235 on a G34 and was making easy hits on 4"x6" steel at 75 yards yesterday; it was a beacon punching out from the high 2 at 15 yrds. I think the .156 notch in the rear and a .115 width up front is a nice combo of speed and accuracy and I have this dimensional combo on several blasters.

http://www.10-8performance.com/products/Glock-Front-Sight.html

Good luck

Lots of great suggestions - think I'm going to do light (maybe x300) and connector and sights and wait on the rest.

Thanks for all the responses

This is what I like on my Glocks.

Warren Tactical sights. <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Plain rear</span></span> with either fiber optic or tritium front.

3.5# Glock OEM connector

Vickers Tactical mag release and slide stop

Truegrip grip tape

lots of ammo... the trigger will smooth itself out over time

Anything I ever added to a glock 17 besides tritrium sights and illumination detracted from the gun as a fighting tool. Whatever you do dont mess with the recoil spring aftermarkets. The factory glock recoil assembly is like $5 replace it every 20,000 rds or so. I do like the soldering iron grip stippling...

Anything I ever added to a glock 17 besides tritrium sights and illumination detracted from the gun as a fighting tool. Whatever you do dont mess with the recoil spring aftermarkets. The factory glock recoil assembly is like $5 replace it every 20,000 rds or so. I do like the soldering iron grip stippling...

It finally was said. Most of the malfunctioning Glocks out there are caused by people messing with the fire control. While not as smooth as a SA handgun, they are an excellent tool right out of the box except for the sights. I use the Warren plain black rear with a fiber front. If you are not using a light with the pistol for home defense, you are asking for trouble. If it is too dark to see normal sights, it is too dark to identify your target. Change out the sights and then train.

Josh

I put a 3.5 lb connector in and disliked the slop...besides... 3.5lbs is good for a SWS but a little light for a handgun. I was handed a NY spring, to which I made faces and begrudgingly added it just to placate him.... WOW... the combo of a 3.5lb connector and the NY spring gives me a 5lb break that feel remarkable crisp with very little slop.... I just stood there staring, amazed...it's probably the first time this buddy has been right about anything.

I run a 3.5 connector. I purchased a competion spring kit but found that I had multiple FTE (fail to eject) and light primer strikes. So I switch back to the regular springs except for the trigger spring which I kept in there and it feels good. If I had to guess I'd say right around 4-4.5 lbs, but breaks crips and reset is awesome for a glock.

I also stippled the gun with a sodeeing iron and it feels fantastic. Plan on shaving down the finger groves and finishing up the stippling.

I have a TLR-2 on there (no strobe). Love the added weight and the light is bright as heck. I got it super cheap used.

Last but not least, as most were saying get rid of those factory sights. I personally love the combo I have. A plain ole' Hiene in the rear with a single dot at the bottom of the sight, and a Trijicon Hd (orange) up front. It's so bright and easy to pick up day/night it's awesome.
I have had zero problems since the spring change and that was a solid 5k rounds ago. I shoot this gun in competions and its also my every day carry.

Last edited:
Thats a G19 not a 17 by the way lol, it has been my experience when fixing peoples Glocks that the more aftermarket springs and shit people put in them the less reliable they become

Thanks bud I know this but it's pretty much the same gun... Either way I did the same exact upgrades to the 17 I had right before this 19.

If you're over 40, Trijicon HD are the best upgrade. Then shoot the hell out of it.

I keep the springs, connector, striker, all stock. I do like to replace the slide lock and mag catch with Vickers parts.....the slide stop isn't longer, just a better shape. The most important mod is STEEL SIGHTS....take your pic...currently I have 10-8 black rear and 10-8 brass bead front....YMMV.

Heinie straight 8 tritiums, Vickers mag release, skateboard grip on the right hand side because it will eat you up in a holster but still works well on the one side. Ugh thats it. Sidearmor holster, light of your choice.