• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

G4 Operator Pack

BmM1284

Private
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2010
PA - WV
I am looking to purchase a tactical pack for day long hunting trips and/or up to several days of hunting/hiking.With that being said I am currently looking at Eberlestock's G4 Operator pack.Eberlestock seems to be a pretty good company, but I have had no experience with them.

Does anyone have any on here have any experience with this pack? opinions?? Other pack suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Re: G4 Operator Pack

Yeah its good, but not perfect for me. Well made, but for my needs perhaps too complex. Would I buy Eberlestock again? - for sure. If you search on SH there are numerous discussions on this and other EB packs. Bear in mind they are american designed only (not manufactured) - if thats an issue for you. Construction on mine is 100 %.
I would suggest trying to have a look at one before you order.

I have had 2 Ebrlestock packs including the Operator. I am very happy with them, zero problems. Contact Ceylonc here on the Hide. He is a Hide vendor for these packs and is a great guy to do business with.

I would suggest looking at Eberlestock Dragonfly if you are going to use as multiple purpose pack. It is expandable, and you can get camp duffle pack, which straps to pack, for extra gear or as a meat pack. It does not have as many Molle straps, which is better for me as they don't catch on brush.

I really like my eberlestock packs. I have the g4 and the gs2 and like them both. The g4 has a lot of space. For me it has too much space most of the time for day hunts so I'd say I use the gs2 the most. You should try to pm ceylonc, I bought both of my packs through him. He was a great help when I was figuring out what pack's I was buying. Hope this helps.

My eberlestock packs were a major let down. The fit was unsatisfactory (not long enough). My kifaru on the other hand is actually more comfortable to wear than wearing nothing at all. It really is incredible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brasscow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My eberlestock packs were a major let down. The fit was unsatisfactory (not long enough). My kifaru on the other hand is actually more comfortable to wear than wearing nothing at all. It really is incredible. </div></div>

Sorry to hear your experience. Eberlestock designs their packs to ride a little higher (at the waist belt) than many other packs on the market. As far as fitting your pack to you, do the following. Stand up, and feel your hip bone. You're looking for the iliac crest which is the part of the bone that sticks out like a tip (if that doesn't make sense, google "iliac crest" and look a pic). Your goal is to have the TOP of the hip belt be at the same level as your iliac crest. To most people who haven't been shown how to wear a pack correctly, this will feel like the belt is too high, but it's not. Once that's done, complete these next steps EVERY TIME you put on your pack.

(1) Loosen all the straps that are used for fitting the pack to you (ie, hip belt, shoulder straps, load lifters (the ones that connect the top of the shoulder strap to the top of the pack itself) and sternum strap).

(2) Put pack on.

(3) Buckle and tighten the hip belt.

(4) Tighten the shoulder straps. Do this by first pulling the straps straight down towards your feet and then pull them back towards and past the pockets of your pants.

(5) Tighten the load lifters. They don't need to be very tight. Their purpose is to take just a little more weight off of the shoulders. When hiking on flat terrain, it is better to have them a little more loose. When you are hiking up and or down, tightening the load lifters will take away some side-to-side sway and make this portion of the hike a little easier.

(6) Buckle and tighten the sternum strap. The goal here is to bring the shoulder straps inward just a bit to allow for more arm mobility and comfort.

(7) Release just a little bit of tension on the shoulder straps. This will help settle the load onto your hips.

It would probably be better to do this with weight in the pack so you can actually feel what each adjustment does.

Hope this helps. If you have other questions just ask.

note: some of the verbage above comes from a former backpack fitter for a large hunting/shooting outfitter. His post came from longrangehunting.com. I used it as his words better describe what I could type out here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brasscow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My eberlestock packs were a major let down. The fit was unsatisfactory (not long enough). My kifaru on the other hand is actually more comfortable to wear than wearing nothing at all. It really is incredible. </div></div>

Kifaru is G2G. Very popular @ my unit.

Ceylon, good description - thank you! (And I love my G4 - roomy enough so far.)

My gunslinger 2 is probably the best single piece of equipment I have purchased for the field.

I love my Maxpedition Condor II. Great 24 hour bag. Not cheap, but IMHO well worth the extra expense. Hope this helps -

I just got my phantom from ceylonc. It's a great pack and feels very solid. I'm assuming the operator has even got more space than mine. You won't regret it!