• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

G7 BR2 or Leica HD-B?

jonthomps

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Feb 9, 2009
    Kansas City
    I will be purchasing one of these in the near future and need some help with my decision. I've searched but can't find much comparison between the two (partly because it's comparing apples and oranges to some extent). I hunt here in Missouri and go back to my home state of Colorado to hunt elk. I very rarely shoot much past 1k but regularly shoot 600-800. Keeping this in mind, for hunting and shooting out to 1000 which one would everyone go with? Here's some of the pro's and con's I've gathered so far:

1. When hunting, you need to carry additional equipment with both units.
    2. With the BR2 you still need a windmeter and a pair of binos.
    3. With the HD-B you still need a windmeter.
    4. The BR2 costs half as much but I can sell my Duovids to compensate for that, making it a non-issue.

Am I missing anything? I think this swings things in favor of the Leica's because everyone LOVES carrying extra gear/weight when hunting elk, right!?

I can't comment on the BR2 but the Leica's are hard to beat unless you can get VERY lucky and find a terrapin.

I really like the Leica's but I've read that they only give "dial to" data in whole numbers. Example: If I range a target at 800y and need 4.6 mils of elevation the read out will say 5 mils of elevation. Anyone have a work around for this? Maybe [MENTION=17825]psinclair[/MENTION] will chime in, he's been running a set for a little while now and says he really likes them.

I'm pretty sure the Leica's show "clicks" so 4.6mils would be 46. So yes it is a whole number but it is not limited to a whole mil.

I'm pretty sure the Leica's show "clicks" so 4.6mils would be 46. So yes it is a whole number but it is not limited to a whole mil.

^^^ Correct...dope only goes to 1000 yards/920 meters. plenty far for the hunting I do. If I shoot steel at ranges beyond that, I have my Vector 21 along. I've ranged objects past 2000M with the HD-B's under good conditions. I had them along on a backpack trip in late August at over 11,000' elevation and tested them on fresh snow and was quite satisfied.

I have both.

The G7 BR2 is nice because you can load 5 different profiles in it and set it up where you range and it gives adjustment. For example - 10.9 MOA

If you use the HD-B's, you have to load the micro-SD card with the data on it from Leica website and you input your elevation.

I put the 2 side by side and they were very close, but I feel the G7 BR2 was probably more accurate.

That being said, when push came to shove, I have used the HD-B's the last 2 years to harvest a mule deer at 415yds and an elk at 525yds. Both were significantly inclined shots and DRT.

I also recently bought the HD-B and have been using them hunting. They will show a mil drop out to 1000 yards that exactly matches my ballistic computer, plus they automatically incorporate the temp, barometer and incline into the calculation instantly along with the excellent glass. I just used them this past weekend and was ranging deer out to 900 yards in bright sun. Also was easily spotting hares in the grass at the same distance thanks to the excellent glass. I like not having to carry around two pieces of gear. Plus having the rangefinder instantly available when scanning for game (or steel targets) is a big advantage.

My only gripe with the Leica is their covers suck. They come off too easy and in fact I already lost one front objective cover this weekend after some bush bashing and it came off.

Last edited: