• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

G7 & Kestrel 2500 vs Kestrel 4500 Applied Ballistics BT & Leica 1600B?

WEATHERBY460

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2011
G7 & Kestrel 2500 vs Kestrel 4500 Applied Ballistics BT & Leica 1600B? Which should I go with...thanks

I am in the EXACT same boat right now too. I'd love to know. Personally, I don't shoot past 1000 now at a target, and probably 700 yards hunting with my 300 WM.

I haven't run a G7 so I can't compare but I have been shooting with the Kestrel 4500 AB BT and it has been spot on at every distance so far. I like being able to create multiple load profiles on my computer and then transferring them as needed to the Kestrel so I don't have to scroll through lots of unnecessary profiles at a match. One limitation I have is not being able to remember clicks as well as I used to so being able to glance at the Kestrel laying next to me helps confirm my settings without breaking out of position. Not sure if you would have to look through the G7 to do that since I haven't shot with one.

Having access to AB's ballistics program integrated with a device made by a company known for its weather meters seemed like the best route for me. Tied to an accurate range finder works for me (full disclosure, I have a Terapin so I trust its accuracy at the distances I shoot.)

I'm content I made the best choice for what I needed. YMVM. PS, I have shot highpower rifle competitively for years but I'm a newbie to long range shooting competition at unknown distances.

Used to have a G7 but now run the Terripin and Kestrel 4500AB. The G7 was since unit but the beam convergence limits it's usefulness to me, great for big game hunting but not for slaming steel at 1000 yards PLUS!!

Well I've been reading the instruction manual on the Kestrel for a few days. Haven't tested it yet. But with the info I put in the Kestrel it was very close to the chart I made from G7 website. Difference was literally less than one click at 300 yards. I didn't compare any others. My guess is the Kestrel accounts for Coriolis effect and that is the difference. I am gonna test on some steel this weekend.

I had the one with the Horus (sp) software, and I have to say, I really didn't like the lack of ease of use. Especially when it first came out... and you could find or get the Horus software.

One of the other issues was that there were updates as they changed the firmware.... that is to say, the Kestrel could not be flashed with newer Horus software.

I'd REALLY like to hear some final thoughts one you guys get some serious 300WM trigger time.

I too am, shall we say, getting older, and I'm not as sharp with remembering everything on the fly.

Well I got to use an Applied Ballistics Kestrel and liked it so much I bought one. It is easy to use and the profile I created was pretty accurate for guess work. Now that I have my own I downloaded the custom curves so my dope should be exact. You can download profiles and update the software via a transfer cable or the bluetooth model.