• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GA Precision 22 GT

These two are almost twins...on the left is a 22 CM 16" #4 Bart, TT 3-15X50 LRH scope.

Got in some really good cold weather testing last week, shooting in temps down to -24F. I learned a lot about small rifle primers in the cold...

I would be interested in hearing your opinion on these 2 cartridges.. currently trying to decide which of these to go with for a rebarrel project.

OAL length from tip to base?? Looks fun!
COAL = Cartridge Overall Length
Screenshot_20210218-181959_Brave.jpg

Well I did it. Joining the 22 gay tiger club. 26” kreiger HV 1/6.5tw. Probably gonna go 85.5 hybrids or 90gr Atips.

Any updates from those running this cartridge? Been looking for a .224 bolt gun for a while and this is sure intriguing. Interested in barrel life mostly. I dont plan on running it hard, looking to push 80-90gr pills in the 3000-3100 range from a 23-24" barrel.

For decent barrel life in that velocity range consider the .220 Thunderbolt. I'm running a 26" barrel, 88gr ELD-M with less than 30gr of Varget and it is right at 3095fps. The same load with 80gr Nosler CC's lands at 3127fps. I haven't burnt a barrel out yet, but I've been told 2750 - 3000 rounds is the norm. I'm planning to develop a lighter 68/69gr load for 200yard standing - less recoil, less powder - trying to mimic the recoil of my service rifle. The .220 TB does need a Valkyrie/6.8SPC sized bolt head - but it's worth it.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/224-valkyrie-vs-220-thunderbolt.6939322/

Regards,
Ross

Were you able to order 22GT brass from Alpha? I don't see it on their site, yet.
No. I’ll be waiting for it to drop. I have time. Barrel ships next week, reamer is anyone’s guess. Gonna get some A tips stocked up as well.

Barrel will be here Thursday according to UPS. Reamer is at the shop. Need brass and dies to make a dummy round for the smith. Hopefully Alpha will have the brass out soon. Dies I’m not sure what I’ll go with.

ETA: Ordered the Whidden 6GT FL bushing die with a 0.249 bushing.

Last edited:
Is anyone making "remage" barrels for this cartridge?

I googled it and didn't see anything, but my google-fu is weak sometimes.
Preferred Barrel Blanks has the 22GT listed as one of their 22cal offerings. Pricing is reasonable but lead time will likely be +3months.

Got my brass in, necked down, and dummy rounds made. Excuse the rings on the bullets. Used the wrong seating stem in my Short action customs seating die initially. Barrel, dummy rounds and rifle will be dropped off Thursday!
3A6E2603-948A-47AF-9E97-1929E2EF7B61.jpeg

Last edited:
Yessir. If I can get it done I wanna take it to Raton. If not I’ll take my 6BRA.

I’ve had my barrel for a few weeks now. Running 95gr SMK’s at 3230fps. It’s nasty lol

Reactions: Lynn313
Hi everyone,

I’m new to the hide and am currently planning my 22GT build. I’m wondering if anyone has a few pieces of 22GT brass (either headstamped or made from 6GT) that I can buy from you in order to get my barrel properly throated. If need be I’d be willing to pay as much as $5 a piece if someone on here is willing to help me out. I appreciate everyone’s help. And thank you

Hi everyone,

I’m new to the hide and am currently planning my 22GT build. I’m wondering if anyone has a few pieces of 22GT brass (either headstamped or made from 6GT) that I can buy from you in order to get my barrel properly throated. If need be I’d be willing to pay as much as $5 a piece if someone on here is willing to help me out. I appreciate everyone’s help. And thank you
If you can wait another week, I can send you a few pieces if you just cover shipping. I’m in Mexico right now but will be state side next week.

Reactions: chevy327
If you can wait another week, I can send you a few pieces if you just cover shipping. I’m in Mexico right now but will be state side next week.
I can absolutely wait another week. Thank you for quick response and generosity.

Reactions: Krob95
Thinking of running at 24" barrel with 85.5 or 88's. Anyone run this combo? How are your velocities? Thinking this thing could be a lot of fun.

Anyone using a SAC 6GT die with a 22 cal bushing (.250 etc) to size brass? I can’t get mine to bump back the shoulders with my Forster press. It definitely is sizing something but it will not set back shoulders and I can barely get the bolt to close on a piece of “resized” brass. I have tried camming over, no cam, nothing seems to be working?

@Mgordon any thoughts?

@Krob95 Could be a couple of things....

did you use 6gt brass ? if so, did you turn necks a little ? sizing down can increase neck thickness. know what reamer and diameter of neck area ?

not familiar with that press... does it run a standard shell holder ? if so, you can mill / remove some material on the top of shell holder to allow die to come further down to engage shoulder area.

Have you called SAC and asked them for solution ?

@Krob95 Could be a couple of things....

did you use 6gt brass ? if so, did you turn necks a little ? sizing down can increase neck thickness. know what reamer and diameter of neck area ?

not familiar with that press... does it run a standard shell holder ? if so, you can mill / remove some material on the top of shell holder to allow die to come further down to engage shoulder area.

Have you called SAC and asked them for solution ?
Alpha reamer with a .255 neck.

Necked down and neck turned Alpha 6GT brass

It does not run standard shell holders like a Redding or anything. It has a “universal” shell holder.

I emailed SAC the other day and shipped it to them to look into. I was gonna take it to my gun smith and have 10k removed but Alan @ SAC requested I send it to them first before hacking up my die lol they should have it soon.

Been using a whidden 6gt die with a .249 neck bushing with no issues. I have no doubt that SAC will get it squared away. If if comes back with no issues on their end I’ll either have it modified or have to buy an Area 419 ZERO press 😂

Last edited:
Has anyone done any work with lighter weight bullets in this 22GT?
I'm interested in 60-75 grain bullets and so far have found zero info on loads, powders, etc.
TIA

I’m interested in the faster 22 cals. Just converted my 22-250 to a 1:7 fast twist. Seeing 3,050 fps with 88 gr ELD and 90 gr A-tip running 37.5 gr of N555. I was looking to break 3000 fps. Starting seeing some pressure at 38 grains N555 and the load was slightly compressed.

Last edited:
Reactions: SWgeezer

These two are almost twins...on the left is a 22 CM 16" #4 Bart, TT 3-15X50 LRH scope.

Got in some really good cold weather testing last week, shooting in temps down to -24F. I learned a lot about small rifle primers in the cold...
Curious what you and others think of the cartridge now that the honeymoon phase is over.

Looking for a shortish barrel cartridge for 88s and 90 tips at 2900 or so. More is better but 16-18 is sweet for hunting / field use with the ultra 7.

For y'all who've done it, thoughts on BR (or ackley) vs GT vs CM for a shorty field use 22 cal?

No. Too complicated. It's one thing to change out a bushing in a BR or Creedmoor die you already own but new dies and fireforming? I'm not that dedicated. At that point, why not just go 22-250?

Fair enough.

Fireforming on the BRA's are stupid simple - I wouldn't necessarily call it a con. The first firing is at BR speeds (and BR accuracy), and the subsequent firings get an extra boost in FPS. No need to jam bullets or do anything silly like what you have to do for other cartridges.

I can totally understand not wanting to purchase new dies though, especially for a cartridge you are experimenting with and may not be sold on.

I fireform Dasher. Not scared. But how much performance increase are you really going to get from a BRA over a BR for all that extra?

I would wager around ~80 fps.

Whether that's worth it or not is up to the individual to decide. But an extra 2" in barrel length + FF should put you in the 3,000+ fps range.

I already shoot 6BRA and have BRA brass, so if I was to go with a centerfire .22, a .22BRA would make the most sense to me for my personal situation.

However, I can see why others would be drawn to other centerfire .22 options.

I would wager around ~80 fps.

Whether that's worth it or not is up to the individual to decide. But an extra 2" in barrel length + FF should put you in the 3,000+ fps range.

I already shoot 6BRA and have BRA brass, so if I was to go with a centerfire .22, a .22BRA would make the most sense to me for my personal situation.

However, I can see why others would be drawn to other centerfire .22 options.
Why go for 3k when you can get 3400?

CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD TRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNN BBBAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBYYYYYYY 👹
43730_1_ver1473723062.jpg

Ran 73 ELDM up to 3500 with Staball and stopped as I'm breaking in barrel still. Backed off to 3350 fps and it's bad news on coyotes.
No pressure signs at all with Alpha Virginia brass. Still room for more speed if needed.

This question has prob been answered here somewhere already, but what are you guys running for 22GT dies. 6GT with bushing? What about seater?