• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP-10 "Finicky chamber"?

JoshcBoucher

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2011
Northern Delaware.
Just got my new "used" GAP-10. 391 Rnds. down the tube. Took it to the range. Started with some "cheap" PMC rounds, for sight in. It wouldn't eject the shell,or feed properly. Moved to some Winchester rounds, and it did OK, but still failed to eject, 1 out of 10. Any answers would help. Planning on reloads. Do I need to do anything "special"? Brought her home, and cleaned the "hell" out of her. Little brushes, in every nook and cranny. She shot "little holes", with the Winchester fodder. The feeding issue has me "wondering". Could it be a "charge" issue", or a "chamber size" issue? Looking for Yoda, to help.

Re: GAP-10 "Finicky chamber"?

I'm no yoda, but I have some experience with the GAP-10.

It is designed for match ammo, and some plinking rounds it's just not going to like. My buddy, hannibalsnipes has had your problem. His GAP-10 likes american eagle for whatever reason. I suggest you try some of that if you are looking to do plinking.

Depending on how old the gun is and who owned it they might have installed a noveske adjustable gas block. If it is there you might check to make sure it is not on the "suppressed" side.

I also suggest you pm hannibalsnipes. He could perhaps give you a helping hand if you have any further questions.

hope that helps,
j

I have had some ejecting issues with different ammo. Some rifles are just that way, they like some ammo better than others. I have had good luck with the Southwest Ammo 118lr in the LC brass. Doesn't shoot as well as FGMM but still less than MOA.

My suggestion if you really want to eek out every bit of accuracy/reliability from this platform is to reload. Try 155 scenars and RE15 or Varget for the 308.

FL size and crimp slightly.

You will be glad you did.

josh, try the 168gr/175gr FGM. I have not experienced eject/feed failures. /Chris

I own a GAP 10 and struggled with many issues when I first got it. I Think I have it figured out now. I was having the same problems you mention FTF FTE. First off, you should be using match ammo. The FGMM that I used worked right for me. When I have been handloading I was having issues with accuracy, but recently I worked a load BELOW book minimum and got good speeds and good accuracy.

What I think was happening with mine, and most likely yours, is that the rounds are more geared toward bolt guns and are overgassing the GAP 10. I think the BCG is moving too fast to eject the case properly or strip the next round.

You can pm me if you have any specific questions about my experience with reloading for this if you want.

First thing you should do is check the gas key on the bcg to make sure its nice and tight. Mine loosened up after 500ish rounds and that royally fucked it up. Once I retightend the bolts on it, it was like a sewing machine again.

Our GAP-10 rifles are Set by us to run lean on 168 Black Hills. Gas guns are very finiky and Gas guns made to be precision rifles are a little more finiky.

Light ball ammo like the PMC and the Winchester are not going to gas the rifle enough. Same with cheep Mil Surp, IE Greek, Clillian , S&B Etc. If we made the rifle run this it would over gas with others.

On the flip side Ammo touted as Light Magnum, Extra Speed, Superformance all have the oppisite problem, that ammo overgasses the rifle's and causes problems.

Ammo that works Perfectly

Black Hills 168, 175
Rem 168 match
Winchester 168 match
Federal 168, 175 match as well as the Hunting ammo loaded with trophy tip or Accubond or Ballistic tip
Copper Creek 175 GAS Gun Loads (probably the best as it was made for a GAP-10 Specifically)
SW 175
Any handload with about 42.5 grains of Varget or 4064, or RL15 and the 175 match king

OP, you should definitely go out and buy the recommended ammo and run it through the rifle. If you can't get it to function, then send it back to GAP. They do a great job of standing by their products.

If the rifle doesn't run with the recommended ammo, realize that it may not be you. I was running Black Hills, Copper Creek, and Southwest through mine and none of it was cycling, as in 4 out of 5 rounds would FTE. Turns out my rifle was undergassed. Some lemons slip through the cracks. Now, it was the best shooting single shot gas gun I'd ever seen, but I did have to send it back to get the hole drilled. Run it with a fair amount of good ammo to get a proper sample size and then evaluate where you're at.

Thank you all, for the feedback. I'm a reloader, and will make custom rounds, for this gun. Just want to know which "direction" to head for. I got a "load" of $10/box surplus ammo. That's the problem. Was just asking, cause I had some time, and was gonna do some reloading for the gun. Wanted some info, before I started. The gun shot awsomely.{is that a word} I was very impressed with the little groups it shot, with the cheap stuff. Can't wait to get the "good stuff" in her!All of my 308 handloads, in stock, are "long" for my 5R, and won't fit in the Mag. I was very anxious to shoot, and took what I had.

"You" need to get some "copper creek gap10 loads" they are the "shiznit".

"Good Luck"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"You" need to get some "copper creek gap10 loads" they are the "shiznit".

"Good Luck" </div></div>

+1000000000000 to that, I just got some 243 ammo from Josh and they are amazingly accurate!

The Copper Creek 175s was shooting 5 shots into one ragged hole for me at 100 yards. Banging the 4 inch plate at 350 yards was boring so I don't even take the GAP-10 out anymore unless I'm going at least 500 yards.

So yeah, get in line for some Copper Creek.

I may have a few boxes I can sell the OP if he wants some.

A guick polish of the chamber and feed ramps with Flitz or semichrome cant hurt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GONIF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A guick polish of the chamber and feed ramps with Flitz or semichrome cant hurt. </div></div>

This won't do much of anything in the GAP chamber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SW 175smk is what I shoot from my GAP-10 </div></div>

It's all I've ever run in mine as well. My round count is at about 250 now, with NO FTF, FTE, etc...

This is a precision rifle. It deserves to be fed the "good" stuff.

I wanted to say thank you, for all the responses. I had a "little question". You're all great guys for taking the time. Thanks again!

FGMM or handloads with Lapua brass and 175gr SMK is the only thing my GAP-10 like. I tried so plinking ammo and she did not like it at all.

I've come to learn exactly what George stated... They like to run lean... I unfortunately learned this the hard way... All in all one great lesson learned... I love my GAP-10!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Our GAP-10 rifles are Set by us to run lean on 168 Black Hills. Gas guns are very finiky and Gas guns made to be precision rifles are a little more finiky.

Light ball ammo like the PMC and the Winchester are not going to gas the rifle enough. Same with cheep Mil Surp, IE Greek, Clillian , S&B Etc. If we made the rifle run this it would over gas with others.

On the flip side Ammo touted as Light Magnum, Extra Speed, Superformance all have the oppisite problem, that ammo overgasses the rifle's and causes problems.

Black Hills 168, 175
Rem 168 match
Winchester 168 match
Federal 168, 175 match as well as the Hunting ammo loaded with trophy tip or Accubond or Ballistic tip
Copper Creek 175 GAS Gun Loads (probably the best as it was made for a GAP-10 Specifically)
SW 175
Any handload with about 42.5 grains of Varget or 4064, or RL15 and the 175 match king

</div></div>

George,

I haven't had a chance to shoot my GAP-10 yet, but I'll be using some Copper Creek ammo to break it in and for the first 5 shot groups. I plan on doing some hunting with it eventually. What hunting loads would you recommend?

It's a .308 with the switch block by the way.

What kind of velocity are you guys getting with the Copper Creek and SW 175 SMK's?

I want to know what my target velocity should be for my hand loads. I was aiming for 2600fps but it would be nice to know what the "blessed" ammo is doing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWThomas</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Our GAP-10 rifles are Set by us to run lean on 168 Black Hills. Gas guns are very finiky and Gas guns made to be precision rifles are a little more finiky.

Black Hills 168, 175
Rem 168 match
Winchester 168 match
SW 175

</div></div>

George,

I haven't had a chance to shoot my GAP-10 yet, but I'll be using some Copper Creek ammo to break it in and for the first 5 shot groups. I plan on doing some hunting with it eventually. What hunting loads would you recommend?

It's a .308 with the switch block by the way.</div></div>

I know this question was directed at George and I'm sure hes got some great loads but you should also try Nosler Trophy Grade w/165 ABs. My GAP loves them and they're great for Whitetail and hogs!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crbrta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I know this question was directed at George and I'm sure hes got some great loads but you should also try Nosler Trophy Grade w/165 ABs. My GAP loves them and they're great for Whitetail and hogs!</div></div>

That's good to know considering I just picked up a couple boxes of that ammo from Midway to try out. I got the ballistic tipped rounds though, not the Accubond.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWThomas</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crbrta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I know this question was directed at George and I'm sure hes got some great loads but you should also try Nosler Trophy Grade w/165 ABs. My GAP loves them and they're great for Whitetail and hogs!</div></div>

That's good to know considering I just picked up a couple boxes of that ammo from Midway to try out. I got the ballistic tipped rounds though, not the Accubond.</div></div>

I've never tried the ballistic tips but the 165 ABs are a legit 1/2 moa sometimes even better out of my GAP inside 300 yards. I haven't stretched it out more than that with the ABs so I don't know what they do at longer distances yet. That's basically been my hunting load and I don't have a lot of shots over 400 where I hunt. I've got about 5 boxes stored up so I'm hoping to get out to 500 and see what they can do this spring. I wish I knew their recipe cause I'd love to be able to reload this exact load.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crbrta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never tried the ballistic tips but the 165 ABs are a legit 1/2 moa sometimes even better out of my GAP inside 300 yards. I haven't stretched it out more than that with the ABs so I don't know what they do at longer distances yet. That's basically been my hunting load and I don't have a lot of shots over 400 where I hunt. I've got about 5 boxes stored up so I'm hoping to get out to 500 and see what they can do this spring. I wish I knew their recipe cause I'd love to be able to reload this exact load. </div></div>

Thanks for the info. If I'm not impressed with the BTs, I'll try out the ABs.

What kind of velocity are you guys getting with the Copper Creek and SW 175 SMK's?

I want to know what my target velocity should be for my hand loads. I was aiming for 2600fps but it would be nice to know what the "blessed" ammo is doing.

Had my 18" GAP-10 chrono'd with the CCGG load this weekend and a 5 shot string averaged 2490. Def on the slow side of what they advertise but dope using that number was accurate to 1000 yards which was as far as I reached out.

Had my 18" GAP-10 chrono'd with the CCGG load this weekend and a 5 shot string averaged 2490. Def on the slow side of what they advertise but dope using that number was accurate to 1000 yards which was as far as I reached out.

Im guessing thats subsonic by 1000?

You guessed right lte82.

OP, what your rifle needs is an adjustable gas block.

If you are ok with lukewarm (close range) loads, then just shoot the recommended ammo. But if you want to take your rifle out at distance, an adjustable gas block is a must.

My GAP-10 shot perfect with Federal GMM .308 during the break-in. But when I first ran handloads through it, I had issues with brass not ejecting. I was using competition sizing dies when I resized my brass. I talked to George and he suggested using a small base sizer die like BCP mentioned in Post #7. Tried it and it worked great, no issues after that. I was running 43.3 gr IMR 4064 and getting right around 2600 out of an 18" barrel.

You guessed right lte82.

If you are ok with lukewarm (close range) loads, then just shoot the recommended ammo. But if you want to take your rifle out at distance, an adjustable gas block is a must.

Do you have a gas block you recommend? My dpms 260 and 308 are a bit overgassed and Id like to dial them back when running hot loads.

It's close. Using the average chrono speed the "shooter" app says 1000 should be 12.3 mils at 1088 fps but confirmed dope was actually 11.5 mils with several hits over a few days on an 18 x 30 silhouette.

You guessed right lte82.

Nah, no point on this rifle in this caliber. Gonna build a 6.5 for that once I feel I've learned enough about wind using .308. Still a long ways to go for me.

You guessed right lte82.

Do you have a gas block you recommend? My dpms 260 and 308 are a bit overgassed and Id like to dial them back when running hot loads.

Why i'd recommend the syrac ordnance click adjustable gas block.

Gas Blocks | Syrac Ordnance

While I have no experience with this product, i do have experience with your run of the mil low-pro adjustable gas blocks...they suck. The screws back out overtime or fall off completely, and they also seems to move such that a load that cycled normally starts short-stroking.

The syrac gas block with it's detente seems to fix this problem...however, i haven't tried it yet.

I have an AR in 30-06 that i'll be upgrading it's adjustable gas block to this model...The 30-06 much like a 260 can use a wide variety of powders from fast burning powders like Bechmark to slooow powders such as H-1000 (with 200+ gr loads). It NEEDS an adjustable gas block.

Why i'd recommend the syrac ordnance click adjustable gas block.

Gas Blocks | Syrac Ordnance

While I have no experience with this product, i do have experience with your run of the mil low-pro adjustable gas blocks...they suck. The screws back out overtime or fall off completely, and they also seems to move such that a load that cycled normally starts short-stroking.

The syrac gas block with it's detente seems to fix this problem...however, i haven't tried it yet.

I have an AR in 30-06 that i'll be upgrading it's adjustable gas block to this model...The 30-06 much like a 260 can use a wide variety of powders from fast burning powders like Bechmark to slooow powders such as H-1000 (with 200+ gr loads). It NEEDS an adjustable gas block.

Perfect, Ill pick one of those up to test on the 260. Thanks for the info!

Wow. Some body dug this out of the way-back. Interesting thought about the adjustable block, but mine is shooting great, now, when I take her out. I treat her like ice cream. Only for the special occasion, when I deserve a treat. Focusing on my 223s, these days, with the powder issues the way they are. 2 for one. Goes bang and makes a hole for half the cost. Trapped at 100, these days, as I'm on crutches.

They dug it up from the way back cause they used the search and had a question. If they started a new post they would get blasted for that. Kind of funny you can't win either way. Sorry to hijack, back to the post.

I also plan on reloading for my .308 Gap-10 with Noveske Swithcblock. I have ordered/received 400 Lapua .308 brass, 1000 Hornady 178 Grain AMAX and plan on using the plethora of Large Rifle Magnum primers that I have. I also have several pounds of RL15. My Thunderbeast 30BA suppressor will be here in the next 2-3 months but it will be November-December before my Gap-10 is here. I was planning on loading them to Mag Length when getting started but would appreciate any help in advance.

I am waiting on my GAP-10 in .308 with a Threaded 20" barrel. I should have it on Wednesday and I will be testing it on my Private 400 yard range in my back yard. Anyone try running their GAP-10 using Hornady TAP Precision 168 grain AMAX in the Red LE box? I have like 1000 rounds of this stuff and it is Awesome ammo. Best BC out there and it does a number on White Tail Deer. I also plan to run my AAC 762 SDN-6 Suppressor with this GAP-10. Anyone have issues running a Suppressor?

I also plan on reloading for my .308 Gap-10 with Noveske Swithcblock. I have ordered/received 400 Lapua .308 brass, 1000 Hornady 178 Grain AMAX and plan on using the plethora of Large Rifle Magnum primers that I have. I also have several pounds of RL15. My Thunderbeast 30BA suppressor will be here in the next 2-3 months but it will be November-December before my Gap-10 is here. I was planning on loading them to Mag Length when getting started but would appreciate any help in advance.

If you gonna reload for your Gap-10 I would call G.A. Precision and ask what dies they recommend. I believe you need to use a small base die for best results.

You should have no issues running handloads through the GAP. When I first got mine it didn't like certain factory ammo, but it always fired my handloads. Now that it's broken-in it'll eat pretty much anything I feed it.

I was running a Dillon 308 die and it sized fine. But it didn't provide the neck tension I wanted. I absolutely COULD NOT polish the expander ball (carbide), so I decided to switch dies. I went with a Lee full length sizing die, which uses a mandrel instead of a ball. I was able to polish off 0.002 which provides me a little more neck tension. The reason I did this is because I don't crimp and my initial loads were getting some set-back upon chambering.

I've handloaded 168 and 178 AMAX, 175 SMK, and 168 Barnes TTSX. Powders I've used are AR Comp, Varget, 4064, 8208, and TAC. Primers I've used are CCI 34 and CCI 200. Brass I've used is Lapua, Black Hills, LC, and Nosler. All of these components have worked perfectly.

The gun will consistently shoot sub-MOA with little effort on my part. The best group I've achieved to date was 0.172" (measured outside-to-ouside and deducted .308). This was a 5 shot group fired at 100 yards. I could cover the whole group with a penny. The load was 168 AMAX (seated to 2.810 OAL), 44.0g Varget, CCI 200, and 2X fired freshly annealed Lapua brass. I shot a similar 5 shot group with 175 SMKs but got one flier that boogered the group. That load was 175 SMK (same OAL), 43.0g Varget, same primer, same brass. Both loads produced the most consistent MVs out of others I've tested. Take my experience for what it's worth, but ensure you work up to those loads if you want to try them.

My GAP-10 is chambered in 308 WIN, has an 18" barrel, no muzzle device, and a Noveske Switch Block.