• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing GAP .300 WSM VS. Moose

psinclair

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2008
Glasgow, Montana
moosehunt9-15-10017.jpg

Just returned from a really great trip to Western Montana to help out my younger brother on his moose hunt. He made the most of a hard to draw permit for Shiras Moose. Even with bonus points the odds of draw are close to 100 to 1.

Our good bud had been there scouting before we got there and had several nice bulls located. On opening morning we made our way into a willow bottom to have a look for one of the better bulls that had been staying in there. Sure enough as daylight approached we could hear two bulls sparring below us on the edge of the creek bottom. Turns out to be four bulls together. We sorted out the bigger one and little brother made good with the new Nontypical .300 WSM shooting 180gr accubonds at 3100fps.the shot was perfect at only 140 meters.

moosehunt9-15-10023.jpg

Happy moose hunters.

moosehunt9-15-10036.jpg

We ended up with 425 pounds of boned meat.

moosehunt9-15-10050.jpg

We lucked out and only had to pack it 1.5 miles back to the pickup. Six full backpack loads did the trick..

moosehunt9-15-10057.jpg

This one got shot with my camera..

Re: GAP .300 WSM VS. Moose

WOW ! nice bull and great pictures Pat. looks like some great country.

not to mention the time with your brother !

now I am even more excited to get my new GAP here
grin.gif

Very nice, Pat! Looks like you guys had a great time! How was the performance of the Accubond? I'm working my way towards a Hunter myself.

Nice pictures of a great hunt!..gotta like those 300wsm, they do a good job. That looks to be a nice big bull.

Only 1.5 miles and 6 packs...hehehe...I think I know why your brother wanted you to come on the hunt. Seriously, must be great to have a brother to hunt with. Congratulations!

Congrats!!!!

Nice pics, as well as, a nice moose you took down..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice, Pat! Looks like you guys had a great time! How was the performance of the Accubond? I'm working my way towards a Hunter myself. </div></div>

moosebullets9-19-10002.jpg

Found under the hide on the off side....cant complain about the way it performed on this moose.

That looks like text book bullet performance, I have never recovered a bullet from my 300wsm. That moose absorbed a lot of energy to stop that bullet at only 140 meters.

Impressive performance on a big animal.

Greg, I'll be using that bullet as well for my elk this fall. I've seen quite a few critters killed with Accubonds and they've always worked well. Another favorite is the Swift Scirocco II. I may be tempted to carry my .260 on a few other hunts this fall. It shoots the 130gr Scirocco II's really well.

Nice adventure PGS. I still bet you slept well that night.
I love the 300 WSM as well. Just curious though. What powder you using to get to 3100 fps? Thats cranking for 180 grain.
I like it.......SmokeRolls

Nice pics PGS, 425lbs of boned meat... wow. i just took a couple guys and got em a cow elk up in our canyons, and it thought there was alot of meat on her when we quartered her out.

Smoke, I'm using VVN560. I started at 68.0grs and worked up. Jumping the 180 AB's 10 thou.

We just scored 2 moose here, only small forks though...but sometimes those eat the best!

Moose definately ranks up there as one of my favorite wild game meats, but Sitka Blacktail Deer top it
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Smoke, I'm using VVN560. I started at 68.0grs and worked up. Jumping the 180 AB's 10 thou.</div></div>
Thats very cool!
I would ask if accuracy is still performing well but the Moose aswered the question.... Hahahaha
Great hunt, good times. Enjoy it every time you can.
.......SmokeRolls

Awesome, nice work. Saw it on the 'Fire as well. 3100 fps is nice for the 180's. I'm currently loading for the .300 wsm and I may need to try the VV560. Thanks.
Lee

Did I miss what part of Mt. this was in? Good eating.

Wow! One of these says I'll have to impose myself on Pat and make the trip out there.
cool.gif

Very cool, we don't have critters like that down here in the South! Thanks for sharing.

Congratulations, on what looked like a great hunt. Last time I got to hunt with my brother was about 8 years ago, cherish those times.

Geat hunt! Thanks for posting, I think Accubonds are the best for any soft game, and they shoot great too. What's not to like?

That bullet pic is sweet. I shot a bull elk last year ranged at 220 yds and I also found the bullet on the back side hide. I was shooting a 300wm tho with 180gr sierras. Core wend through and the shell was only thing left.
Might have to look into theose Acubombs!! ha..

Still congrats on a grat animal. I cant wait till I am able to go Moose hunting. got 9 pref. pts and still no luck here in CO.

Nice Job Pat....what glass are you running on that? What is total weight?