• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP 338 Lapua <--Now with Video

mtechgunman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2010
Colorado
Picked her up yesterday

grin.gif

GAP2.jpg

GAP1.jpg

Re: GAP 338 Lapua

It was on GAP's rifles ready to ship page and I couldn't resist. I have had an UGSW Infidel on order because the lead time on that rifle was quite a bit shorter on a MCM A5 equipped rifle. I have not taken delivery of that rifle yet.

When I originally thought about a 338 build, this rifle is how I exactly how I envisioned it- right down to the desert camo.

GAP called it a "Desert Colored Precision Wrecking Ball"

-Bartlein 26" barrel
-Templar action
-MCM A5
-Nightforce 5.5-22x56mm MLR, Mil/Mil turrets, hi-speed & zero stop
-Badger Rings

Great looking rifle! I'd like to hear how well it shoots when you find out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so you where the one ! </div></div>
Wasn't this the one that you were just showing me!! That went fast man!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so you where the one ! </div></div>

guilty as charged. The last one I saw they had went really quick too, I jumped on it as soon as I saw it posted.

Hopefully this will shoot much better than your MLR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hopefully this will shoot much better than your MLR. </div></div>

LOL ... I would venture to say "yes"
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hopefully this will shoot much better than your MLR. </div></div>

LOL ... I would venture to say "yes"
wink.gif
</div></div>

I have a sling shot that groups better than my MLR.

Awesome stick now we will need mile range reports
grin.gif

Oh I very much liked my Desert colored precision wrecking ball!! I nearly wore the cerakote off by fondling it while talking with customers.

Looking forward to some range reports!!

That should be an "attention getter". I'm addicted to my .338. Good looking rig.

Beautiful build!
I have an identical .300WM build built ny Warner Tool. Only difference is I have a Atlas bipod and not a Harris.

I have not got around to taking pictures of it yet but if you put mine and yours side by side you would not be able to tell the difference of the two besides the bipod (and mine is a blueprinted Rem700 Action).

Very Nice!

I was watching that rifle on GAPs site and kept telling myself not to call till I saw it was gone

Thanks all, I really appreciate the comments. I hope to get out sooner than later. Possibly this weekend with any luck. My suppressor transfer should be finished in the next couple of weeks too. I believe it went pending the first part of March.

GOOD TIMES!!!!!

Looks good! Did you shoot it at all before you got the suppressor installed?

Damn,it comes with a wall charger and all. Pretty awesome

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: danrodder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn,it comes with a wall charger and all. Pretty awesome </div></div>

Yep, that's the downside of the TBAC suppressors- they need charging.

Sorry for the crappy pics.

I still haven't had a chance to shoot it. My basement is getting carpet on Wednesday and I just got finished putting my reloading bench back together. I have to go to Montana next weekend, so hopefully the week after I will be able to finally shoot the damn thing.

If that were my situation, I know I would'nt get a decent nights sleep.

I thought I mentioned it but I guess I didn't. My basement flooded a couple days after picking up the rifle and I've had to remodel the entire thing. That is why there has been a massive delay.

Nice rifle and can. Personally don't like how they had to contour the end of the barrel to work with the Badger FTE. One main reason why I didn't go with that brake.

Finally got out to shoot the beast, and I couldn't be happier. The first three rounds were under 1" easily (I did not measure). I adjusted my scope only once and had her dialed in. The guy I was with shot the best group (all shots from prone) in which all shots were touching.

Book max was 94 grains, which was a little too much as I had some ejector marks on my brass. I started at 93.5 grains of retumbo and that is going to be my load. I didn't run any of these through a chrony.

We stepped back to just under 500 yards, I ran a quick and dirty ballistics calculation through my iphone and came up with 2.7 mils elevation for 500 yards. I ran it to 2.6 mils and held a half mil for wind and away we went. 5 consecutive shots between my friend and I were not more than 5" apart on the steel target. It was too easy.

The rifle is an absolute dream to shoot. I would like to adjust the trigger down a little bit, but other than that it is perfect. The Thunderbeast Arms silencer is awesome. I don't have anything to compare it to, but I couldn't be happier. Spotting hits on 22X is not a problem at all with this rifle. It's so easy, a cave man could do it.

Couple of pics below

(I'm 6' tall, FWIW)
GAP1-1.jpg

GAP2-1.jpg

GAP3.jpg

I have video if someone is willing to host and post it. I uploaded it to photobucket but I can't get it to work.

Sweet!!!! I have a action ordered for a 338 build and was not in a hurry with the build until I saw yours....Now I want to get it done yesterday...
Congrats on the rifle looks great...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtechgunman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Recoil is not bad at all- more than a .308, but the suppressor calms it down nicely. </div></div>

Ok I have been toying with the idea-- so what are the spec's of your rifle (barrel etc)? what is the recoil like with the suppressor? is it like a .308 without a suppressor. Any info would be helpful.

I have to sell it to my wife
smile.gif

I currently have a .308 20" barrel with a AWC Thundertrap TI.

[img:center]
DSC_0071-c.jpg
[/img]
Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevlars</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtechgunman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Recoil is not bad at all- more than a .308, but the suppressor calms it down nicely. </div></div>

Ok I have been toying with the idea-- so what are the spec's of your rifle (barrel etc)? what is the recoil like with the suppressor? is it like a .308 without a suppressor. Any info would be helpful.

smile.gif

Thanks </div></div>

Take a loot at the video. You can see it's not bad at all. Very mild. I don't really know how to describe it, other than it's not like shooting a big caliber.

Edit:

GAP templar Action
Bartlein 26.5" BBL- not sure of contour but it is BIG
Trigger tuned to 2.5 lbs
MCM adjustable A-5
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56mm Hi-speed/zero stop mil/mil
Shooting 300 SMK's in lapua brass with 93.5 grains of retumbo with a 3.615 OAL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevlars</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtechgunman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Recoil is not bad at all- more than a .308, but the suppressor calms it down nicely. </div></div>

smile.gif

[img:center]
DSC_0071-c.jpg
[/img]
Thanks </div></div>

Nice stick!!! I like the paint job

Nice Rifle ... with that suppressor you should look at the SAS Suppessor cover by Tab gear... it works great.

This rifle is definately doing much better than your MLR. What length mags? Are they the older AICS mags that give you about 3.64 col, or the newer CIP length ones?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This rifle is definately doing much better than your MLR. What length mags? Are they the older AICS mags that give you about 3.64 col, or the newer CIP length ones? </div></div>

CIP length

Here is the first group of the day on Sunday. First shot above was cold bore, followed by four more down below. I'm pretty damn happy.

100 yards, 1" squares, prone.

photo.jpg