• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP 6.5x284 Norma

Jackson/Charvelfan1

Minuteman
May 30, 2011
MA,USA
I have had a few people ask me questions about this rifle so I decided to post it. I had this 6.5x284 Norma built by GAP when I worked for FNH USA as a Product Manager. It is a prototype of a rifle series that was not built by FNH USA (a combination of a PSR 1 and 2). We used a WSM magazine box a WSM ejector and STD floorplate triggerguard. The follower is out of a long action (but I cannot remember what model rifle it came from CZ or Kimber?) and was fitted to the WSM box (the factory WSM box will fit a 3.00" round with about .080 room). Magazine cap. is 4 rds. The stock is a McMillan HTG. The chamber was cut to STD 6.5 x 284 Norma on a Bartlin 1 in 8 SS barrel 23.5 OAL with a .705 at the crown and a taper that is .020” over a Winchester M70 Sporter and then Ceracoated. It shoots a 1/4min @ 100 yds. with GAP's hand loads. The scope is a Leupold VX-III LRT with a TMR 3.5x10 40mm, FNH steel rings and a Near 20 MOA Rail. I would highly recommend contacting GAP to do your work custom rifle work. As I am in-between jobs at the moment unfortunately I am not sure I will get to keep this one.
PC260001.jpg

PC260015.jpg

PC260006.jpg

PC260009.jpg

PC260012.jpg

PC260017.jpg

Re: GAP 6.5x284 Norma

Very nice piece you have there and it is obviously a performer. I have the luxury of living 30 minutes from GAP and have been fortunate to have several rifles from them. No doubt they produce highly capable rifles and this is a prime example.
Sorry to hear that you may need to move this one, but sometimes life calls and priorities get in the way of wants.

Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Engine22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice piece you have there and it is obviously a performer. I have the luxury of living 30 minutes from GAP and have been fortunate to have several rifles from them. No doubt they produce highly capable rifles and this is a prime example.
Sorry to hear that you may need to move this one, but sometimes life calls and priorities get in the way of wants.

Good luck! </div></div>

Thanks for the luck. Yeah I wish I could keep it. It has a very nice balance. 30 minutes from GAP must be very tempting to get more built all of the time.

I'm confused about your COAL... You said you can accommodate 3.00" with .080" to spare, for a total if 3.080". The SPR actions I've seen can only feed a cartridge 2.900", unless the feedramp gets notched so the bullet tip can pass through the feedramp.

How are you accommodating 3.080" COAL?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm confused about your COAL... You said you can accommodate 3.00" with .080" to spare, for a total if 3.080". The SPR actions I've seen can only feed a cartridge 2.900", unless the feedramp gets notched so the bullet tip can pass through the feedramp.

How are you accommodating 3.080" COAL? </div></div>

Did you measure a 300 WSM box or a 308?? A 300 WSM box measures at the spec above 3.080. I used a 308 with a 300 WSM box that is how. A Black Hills round is loaded at 2.985" with a 142 SMK.