• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gap 7wsm at 2000 yards "video"

Skyking

Skyking
Minuteman
Well I finally made it into the mile long club, and beyond. I have been reading about shooting longer range, and whether or not the bullet will stay supersonic or not. And how that will effect it's performance. So I thought I would try it myself and see what happens.

So I took some friends out that have never shoot anything passed 400 yards. They are looking at getting a precision rifle so they too can get into this crazy fun sport. So George (From Precision Shooting Sports, doing the 2009 SnipersHide build) and I, processed to show them what this long range shooting is all about. As we let them shoot the steel at 1009 yards, they where blown away. They couldn't believe that it was even possible too hit the big target in the first place. Let alone without missing it. Which they didn't. So they then decided to try there hand at the smaller plates. It took a few shoots, but they end up hitting the 4x8 inch steel. Needless to say they ordered up a few new guns.

So after my friend Chris made it into the 1000 yard club. He thought I would be fun to give it a try at 2000 yards. I said "Why not let's go for it". We where able to hit the plate 5 times out of about 12 shots. The mirage and the winds did not help. Well enjoy

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j5G13N3Yd3w"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j5G13N3Yd3w" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: Gap 7wsm at 2000 yards "video"

Skyking,
Nice video. I saw in the video that you came up 71.3 MOA to reach 2000 yards. Do you recall your zero range for this, temperature, and how high above sea level?? I'm trying to compute the BC of that Berger 180 that you were shooting and wanted to see how close "actual" is to "computed". Thanks!

Nice shooting,gotta love those 7wsm's.Can't wait to get my 7wsm rebarreled,I have 1800rds down the tube,and she's pretty tired,needs freshened up.I also have the same reticle as you(NP2DD),some people don't like them,but I think they are great for long range shooting.
What did you use to range the target with,GPS,or a bada$$ rangefinder?

Very nice shooting & very nice video. That mirage was looking pretty wicked on the video.

Nice video, as well as, nice shooting..

Looks like fun was had by all..

Nice video. Not to bad for the first outing
at 2K. If you weren't before you will be a LR
addict now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I recognize that spot. </div></div>

..........quiet..........lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I recognize that spot. </div></div>

..........quiet..........lol </div></div>

On second thought, I may have been mistaken.

Thanks guys! Glad you are liking it. I am more of one for watching videos, and looking at pictures rather then just reading about stuff. So I figured I better post mine.

So to give you guys a little more info. I have a 20 moa base, and I use a 100 yard zero. I use Brian Litz g7 of .337 for the 180 vld's. Spot on!

The conditions where - temp 58, Humidity 38% station pressure 23.84,

The scope ran out of adjustment at 68.75 moa. So we had to just hold over.

I have the Swarovski range finder. No it would not range that far. At our 1000 yard spot we then ranged another 1000 yard spot behind us. Yes that is on the south side of Utah lake.

Hope this helps answer any question.

Now go shoot

Great video!
If any newbies are wondering what people are talking about when they see the bullets "trace" it is very evident in the 1000y portion of your video.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyking</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Yes that is on the south side of Utah lake.
</div></div>

My suspicions are confirmed!

Nice, cool vid!!

Skyking,

You helped push me over the edge. I thought about buying a 7 WSM before, and I just pulled the trigger on one. Your video's are flat out amazing. I prefer the 1400 yard video, but this one kicks ass as well. Can't wait to get out and shoot it.

Keep up the good work!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trpr154</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Skyking,

You helped push me over the edge. I thought about buying a 7 WSM before, and I just pulled the trigger on one. Your video's are flat out amazing. I prefer the 1400 yard video, but this one kicks ass as well. Can't wait to get out and shoot it.

Keep up the good work!!</div></div>

Hey thanks!

Glad to hear your in the 7wsm club. You will have to keep us up to date on your shooting.

You know, when I was trying to decide on a caliber, and gunsmith to go with. I was wishing there was some sort of video out there that I could of watched to help me. So I figured that I would try my hand at making a vid. So that just maybe, it would help someone else out with there decision making.

The 1400 yard one is my favorite one as well.

I think my next one will be a review of the new Atlas bipod I just got.

Another great video Skyking! I wish I could push my 7WSM out that far.

You were hitting 4 inches by 8 inches plate at 1000 yards? Damn that's impressive. What's the dimension of your 2k target? Nice shooting BTW.

that is sick!!!! wish i had enough room to try that somewhere......

good shooting!!

I bought a GAP 7WSM from a member of the Hide recently. I'm developing loads for it and had some questions. 26" Bartlein barrel, AICS, Templar action. Gun shoots great.

I loaded some 180 VLD's, Win Brass, CCI BR-2 primers, and ran some H1000 from 64.5 up to 67.0 grains in 0.5 grain increments. I'm not getting near the velocities others report. Barely getting 2900fps at 67.0 gr. No pressure signs.

Any thoughts?

Also, what is the elevation you're shooting at?

BTW - great videos. I'm pretty enamored with my 7 WSM. It's the only gun I have that shoots better than the GAP 308 I have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: daw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a GAP 7WSM from a member of the Hide recently. I'm developing loads for it and had some questions. 26" Bartlein barrel, AICS, Templar action. Gun shoots great.

I loaded some 180 VLD's, Win Brass, CCI BR-2 primers, and ran some H1000 from 64.5 up to 67.0 grains in 0.5 grain increments. I'm not getting near the velocities others report. Barely getting 2900fps at 67.0 gr. No pressure signs.

Any thoughts?

BTW - great videos. I'm pretty enamored with my 7 WSM. It's the only gun I have that shoots better than the GAP 308 I have. </div></div>

Congrads, on the GAP 7WSM! You've got to love the 7WSM! Welcome to the club.

First, how many rounds do you have down the gun? The more rounds down, the more the speeds are going to drop off.
That is good that you are not getting pressure sign at 67g. That seems like a hot load.

Second, I would not go off what other are saying for speed. Every barrel is different. I would just try for the best speed, and accuracy that you can get with your gun.
If you really need more speed. Try Retumbo. You may get 50-75Fps more.

Are you getting your speed reading off of a chronograph?
I think they are good for load development, but I would go off actual dope.

The way that I do it is. After I have found a good 100 yard load. I go out to around 1400 yards and shoot. Or the furthest range that you can shoot at. I use the speed that I was seeing off the corno to get me close with whatever software you are using.(Bulletfight on a Ipod with Brian Litz g7 of .337) Then adjust your scope until you are hitting at the same elevation, or on target. Don't stress to much about left and right hits just yet. Now that you have the proper dope for elevation on your scope. Go into your software, and change the Muzzle Velocity until the software is telling the same thing that you have dialed on your scope. Whatever the muzzle velocity in the program reads, is now your new MV, and the one I would go off. Now everything inside 1400 yards should be right on.

I am shooting at 6500 feet. Hope this helps!

Cory

I'm excited to be part of the club. I bought a GAP build on a Surgeon WSM action, Bartlein barrel, and Mcmillan A5 stock.

I'll try to keep you guys updated on how it shoots.

Keep me posted on that Atlas video Skyking. I've never tried one, but heard good things.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great job on another vid !

you liking that new lens ?

Scott</div></div>

Thanks!

Yes it is sweet. This latest video was shot with that lens.

Did you end up getting a camcorder?

Cory

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GGN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">great video and great shooting</div></div>

Thanks guys!

I am going to try and get some new shots at 2000 yards before it starts to get to warm around here to keep the mirage down.

That is very impressive, awesome shooting.

Care to share details about the rifle used?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cegorach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is very impressive, awesome shooting.

Care to share details about the rifle used?</div></div>

Hey Thanks!

GAP 7WSM
Remington 700 SA
Jewell trigger
Badger bolt knob
Badger lug
Bartlein 1-8.7 twist #4 bull 26' fluted barrel
Badger Thruster brake
Mcmillan A3-5 thumbwheel desert camo
Badger detachable mag alloy
Badger 20MOA base alloy
Badger medium rings alloy
Superior shooting systems speedlock lightweight pin
NightForce NXS 5.5-22 x 50 NP-2DD

He is the link to my post on the gun with some more videos of it. http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2058265&page=1

Skyking, You are the stuff. Great video of putting a first-timer in action. We need to see more of that. So when are you going to put some women into the 1000 and 2000 yard club? Seeing the mirage on video is really cool.

I'm impressed, that video was awesome, thanks!

What size is the plate you are shooting at 2000.....is it still the 4"x8"? It looks larger but great shooting either way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coues7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What size is the plate you are shooting at 2000.....is it still the 4"x8"? It looks larger but great shooting either way.

</div></div>

Thanks Guys!!!! No, I wish! That would be some really amazing shooting then. It is 30x20 inches. The same one in my 1400 yard video.

That is some amazing shooting! I am hoping to get out and past 1000 yards this summer. I am also looking at the same scope!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: iShoot17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is some amazing shooting! I am hoping to get out and past 1000 yards this summer. I am also looking at the same scope!</div></div>

Thanks! You will love the Nightforce. I really like that reticle as well.

So I took out my web guy the other day. First time shooing a rifle. Yep.... He is hooked. Started right at the 1008 yard spot. This is his group! Even got luck and had a dead center hit. Beginners luck!!

M1360003.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyking</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: daw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a GAP 7WSM from a member of the Hide recently. I'm developing loads for it and had some questions. 26" Bartlein barrel, AICS, Templar action. Gun shoots great.

Any thoughts?

BTW - great videos. I'm pretty enamored with my 7 WSM. It's the only gun I have that shoots better than the GAP 308 I have. </div></div>

Congrads, on the GAP 7WSM! You've got to love the 7WSM! Welcome to the club.

First, how many rounds do you have down the gun? The more rounds down, the more the speeds are going to drop off.
That is good that you are not getting pressure sign at 67g. That seems like a hot load.

Second, I would not go off what other are saying for speed. Every barrel is different. I would just try for the best speed, and accuracy that you can get with your gun.
If you really need more speed. Try Retumbo. You may get 50-75Fps more.

Are you getting your speed reading off of a chronograph?
I think they are good for load development, but I would go off actual dope.

The way that I do it is. After I have found a good 100 yard load. I go out to around 1400 yards and shoot. Or the furthest range that you can shoot at. I use the speed that I was seeing off the corno to get me close with whatever software you are using.(Bulletfight on a Ipod with Brian Litz g7 of .337) Then adjust your scope until you are hitting at the same elevation, or on target. Don't stress to much about left and right hits just yet. Now that you have the proper dope for elevation on your scope. Go into your software, and change the Muzzle Velocity until the software is telling the same thing that you have dialed on your scope. Whatever the muzzle velocity in the program reads, is now your new MV, and the one I would go off. Now everything inside 1400 yards should be right on.

I am shooting at 6500 feet. Hope this helps!

Cory

</div></div>

Skyking,

I think this is great advice. I only have 200 rounds through the gun. Most of it has been tinkering around with different loads. It seems to shoot 162 amax, 168 vld, and 180 vld well.

Most of the shooting I do is at low elevations, but have made some trips to Colorado.

I guess the assumption you are making when you get your dope is that, with the correct BC, the true drop is the most accurate way of determining your muzzle velocity. It makes me wonder whether or not my chronograph is that accurate.

I do use Bulletflight (fantastic app) and have noticed that, with multiple guns, my drops are less than they're supposed to be according to Bulletflight. The longest I can shoot close by is 500 yds (I live in Dallas).

Are you chronographing your loads? If you are adjusting your velocity to get the Bulletflight data to match your measured dope, do you think the chronograph is the problem?