• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP AR-10 problem

poff6401

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
upon firing my last round the bolt carrier will not stay locked back, it slams forward. I have tried different magazines and i also checked the bolt/carrier latch spring ( there is tension ). A buddy said something about the buffer spring being to heavy. anybody have any input?

Re: GAP AR-10 problem

I am sure GAP would not have done this but check to see if the buffer is too long. measure it then check with GAP. I ran into this problem a long time ago durring a build (Not a GAP).

Load the rifle with the ammo you intend to use (not just "old" ammo) and test it for the issue.

If the issue doesn't manifest itself with the new ammo, then don't worry about it.

If it does, call GAP. They know what checks they have done and how they configured the rifle. Part of your purchase price was paying for their expertise. You might at well utilize it.

Lube the bolt carrier, At the Range standing, place the butt of the rifle firmly into your shoulder, place the mag with 3 rounds in the rifle and shoot all three rounds at a target. See if it locks back then, some guys when shooting prone or off the bench leave the butt of the rifle completely off their shoulder shooting it like a Bench rifle. This will cause a "Limp Wrist" action just like in a semi auto pistol. Try this if it locks back you will have your answer. If it does not then it needs more gas for that Ammo.

Thank you for the info fellas! as this is my first precision gas gun and it has become a learning experience from the start.