• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP AR10 , is it worth it?

enkry

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2010
KY US
What does GAP do to the DPMS AR10 that we cant do at home? I know GAP is a good company that puts out great products. I know they add a PRS and a new barrel but other than that why is it a $2450 AR10?

Thanks

Re: GAP AR10 , is it worth it?

You mean why not just call up Mark LaRue and get an OSR?

Because that would be my plan...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASU1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You mean why not just call up Mark LaRue and get an OSR?

Because that would be my plan... </div></div>

And thats exactly what I did
grin.gif

I really would like a SR25 but I can't justify the price when there are just as acurate options out there.

Well, the obr is in the neighborhood of $3000 right now. In answer to your question, I would say that Gap doesn't really do anything that you couldn't do at home, assuming that you have a lathe to turn down and thread a rock or Krieger blank, a spray booth and oven to do the cerekote job, the means of squaring up the bolt face, the ability to rework the trigger if you aren't installing an aftermarket version, or tuning the gas system to function properly with or with out a can if you choose to run one. If a person is confident in their ability to put something together, I say go for it. But before you try and shave 300-400 bucks of a precision ar project, understand that part of what you are paying for with a Gap rifle is the comfort of knowing that the rifle is going to be good to go. If you spend 1800-1900 on comparable components, then can't get the thing to print under 1moa, you will only have yourself to blame. Again, I am not trying to discourage you from building your own stick, but I think that the two answers to your question are not mutually exclusive. Can a person build a very accurate DPMS 308 for less than what Gap sells them for? Most certainly. Is a Gap dpms 308 or Armalite AR-10 worth every cent that they are charging for them? In my opinion, the answer to this is also an unequivocal yes.

B/c Flounder builds an AR that just plain works....

Look at some of what the $2450 gets you.

PRS stock
Match trigger
Custom FF handguard
Match barrel

Those four things alone almost make up the cost difference from a stocker. What does a stock AR10 run, around $1k? There's almost $1k in raw add on parts right there, so you're only actually payin about $500 for GAP to build you a kick ass match grade AR. Doesn't sound like a fleecing to me....

Just find an armalite AR10T used or new... They can be had for 1400-1800 bucks and then buy a PRS, a scope and a bipod and call it a day. They have a lothar walther stainless lapped barrel.. I love mine!

GAPs are hammers plain and simple...

My 16" GAP upper will shoot out to 1000 yards with factory ammo using only 39MOA, as well at 800 yards is a solid and consistent 1 MOA rifle, and will put those rounds where they belong every single time.

The difference between a GAP and a Larue is simple, with GAP you get what "YOU" want with Larue you take what they give you. That is not necessarily a bad thing for a lot of people. But the ability to spec a system out can not be over stated. Its the difference between a custom stick and a limited factory offering.

You can get the GAP in a 260, or some other caliber and then, if you're good enough all bets are off, as you singlehanded gained a noticeable advantage over anyone shooting an OSR by taking advantage of a cartridge with better ballistics in a 308 parent case. So, the custom options can not be overlooked. Not to mention the SH AR10s done by GAP were put out on the street around 2004, that is a lot of experience building winning AR10s.

Larue has an excellent reputation, but Flounder is not one to be underestimated when it comes to his semi autos from GAP.

About the only thing you can't spec out on the Larue is the caliber and finish... stock, grip, trigger, barrel length; all of the same things GAP will do for you, larue will also do.

If you WANT something other than .308, then look elsewhere... but if .308 is for you, don't exclude Larue

Can you spec out the barrel maker ? Twist rate, bore, contour, muzzle device, etc ?

On a semi auto, even a 308, the barrel specs are key.

muzzle device yes, length, not contour twist or bore... but when they are putting down .5-.7 moa, I'd say they got it right...

and they have a gas regulator on it...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">muzzle device yes, length, not contour twist or bore... but when they are putting down .5-.7 moa, I'd say they got it right...

and they have a gas regulator on it...</div></div>

Again, Larue has a fine reputation, but for less money you can spec out the rifle to the shooter... you proved the point about a custom gun, you get what they give you and not what you want. As far as accuracy, well, that is a given when you spec a custom stick. My POF does that all day, every day too... I paid $2500 for that.

I might might want a different twist, a lighter contour, and a tight bore, getting an adjustable gas block is piece of cake. So when I want greater control, a custom maker trumps out of the box.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enkry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What does GAP do to the DPMS AR10 that we cant do at home? I know GAP is a good company that puts out great products. I know they add a PRS and a new barrel but other than that why is it a $2450 AR10?

Thanks </div></div>

Another more pragmatic view, if you buy a GAP and decide to sell it, it will sell. If you try to sell a MMG (Made in My Garage) rifle, you will work a whole lot harder to sell it or end up giving it away. Like LL says, the GAP is just a hammer when you get it. A MMG rifle is a crap shoot, pun intended. Buy right the first time, and only cry once.

I just looked at the osr on the Larue site, and will break it down how I see it.

The lower looks pretty much like a standard billet lower, A-2 buttstock, standard pistol grip, hopefully a geissle DMR trigger or the equivilant. Lets call it a 750-800 dollar lower.

So you have a LW barrel with a a2 flashhider on a monolythic upper, for roughly 2200 dollars. I will be generous and alot $500 for the barrel, matching bolt, and flashhider. This leaves $1700 left over for the bolt carrier, charging handle, gas block, upper reciever,and rail. Your mileage will vary as to whether or not this is worth it or not. Larue makes great products, in fact as production guns go, I don't think you will find a more accurate offering. But for me it comes down to this question- will I be moving my optic forward to facilitate the use of a nightvision device behind my day optic? If the answer is no to this question, than a monolythic rail is to me simply not worth the cost.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badbowtie03</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just find an armalite AR10T used or new... They can be had for 1400-1800 bucks and then buy a PRS, a scope and a bipod and call it a day. They have a lothar walther stainless lapped barrel.. I love mine! </div></div>X2

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enkry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What does GAP do to the DPMS AR10 that we cant do at home? I know GAP is a good company that puts out great products. I know they add a PRS and a new barrel but other than that why is it a $2450 AR10?

Thanks </div></div>

They'll put on one of the best barrels money can buy-chamber it dead nuts accurately and properly thread it to the barrel extension.

Seriously,you have no idea how good a rifle can be or you wouldn't even ask if its worth it. Shoot one and you will KNOW why its worth the money.

I use to have an AR10T 24" barrel and LR-308. The LR-308 was a little more accurate than the AR10T.
I am now shooting a GAP AR10. It is scary ass accurate in comparison. Flounder did a great job on the barrel work.

Thanks </div></div>

Ump umm, DPMS dosn't make AR10's. Sorry.....SORRY, just had to say it.
wink.gif

okie

The crew at Gap took my DPMS SASS from zero ( or a $1800.00 piece of shxx) to HERO!

sotexhunter, did they change anything out? if so what did they change?

thanks,
Enkry

Sotexhunter, I would also like to know what you had done and how long did they have your gun? I am thinking about taking my DPMS SASS to GAP as it is only 2 1/2 hrs away from me.

Bartlien 1/10 18.5inch. Installed my Scar H Adapter and it took about 4-5 months. They adjusted my trigger (jp super crisp)and the action was amazingly smooth. I don't know if they drooled on it before it left, but it was the smoothest AR action I had ever felt. I just told them to take the suckiness out of it and they did just that. I was hoping for a sub moa gun and got a 1/2 or better moa gun with factory match ammo. I have shot sub 1/4 inch groups with it.

I think I am going to have to call them now. Thanks for spending my money for me. Hopefully they are alittle more caught up and it won't take that long.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GAP does use the "AR-10" designation for both their DPMS and Armalite based gun. http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2010-custom-rifles/ga-precision-precision-ar-10.html

I guess no one's scolded George yet...
laugh.gif
</div></div>

"Scold" George? ha ha... OK....Bad boy George....bad bad boy.....and please, dont double charge me later when I have you work over one of my "Armalite" AR10's.

okie

Something I like about GAP is I have shot with at least one of their employees in every match except for one that I have every competed in. They are all shooters and they ask you, "Hey, how is the rifle shooting?" That means a lot to me. Additionally, a smith is easy to contact on the phone if you have a question or problem. I remember watching George pack up a dozen rifles after a match to drive back to his shop to work on for shooters.

I have or have had most of the 308 AR's GAP, Noveske, LWRC, POF and none of the others can hold a candle to my GAP in accuracy. I have sold the POF and the Noveske but still have the LWRC 16", with an aimpoint, pvs 14 NV and a AAC 7.62 sd it is an awesome hoggin outfit. But I love the GAP built on a Armalite. Was also cost less than all of the other ones.

Lowlight, what specs would you personally have an AR-10 built to for example? I see yours is a 16" do you perfer the 16" over a 20" ? Is there much real world advantage to gain from the extra barrel lenght?

Thanks
Richard