• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP build question

caseyru67

Minuteman
Jan 10, 2011
South Carolina
I'm ready to take the plunge into the world of GAP customs. After much reading I've decided on a Crusader in .260. But I have two questions. The rig will be used for ringing steel and punching paper from 600 to 1000 yards. What length barrel should I get. Also, for target shooting, should the chamber be cut tight or SAAMI? Thanks

Re: GAP build question

I love my now two GAP rifles I am sure you will be happy. I would ask GAP who better to help. I am sure there are plenty here with the proper answer also. PG

Just tell GAP what you want and they will do the rest, their .260 reamer is awesome so just tell them you want a .260 then shoot tiny little groups when you get your rifle
smile.gif

I say 22" or 23" barrel, but I just hate long barrels but if you don't mind the weight or shoot prone alot go 24"-26"

I've got Jerod lined out here in a couple months to build my 260. Going with a .298 neck to handle loaded Lapua brass. Have a 4-groove Kreiger, 1-8.5 twist that will finish at 24". Hoping to get the 123 class bullets to 3000fps.

They will tell you. Give them the green light to build a shooter and you will have it. Asked George about barrels and he said no get this one. Ok. Its a shooter
Done

All you guys with .260's, are ya'll measuring from the front of the lug or the entire finished length?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All you guys with .260's, are ya'll measuring from the front of the lug or the entire finished length? </div></div>
I have always measured from the face of the bolt to end of the bbl for bbl length.

I would go 24-26 but if you plan on shooting lapua brass make sure you let them know that so they can use a reamer with the tolerance needed to shoot it. The GAP 260s my friends have can not chamber lapua brass without turning the necks. If you don't care about lapua brass just give them the green light to do their standard build

the 260 is simply accurate regardless of who builds it...its an awesome round

260groups001.jpg

13dogday013.jpg

My GAP Crusader in .260 sports a 26" Schneider, SAAMI chamber and is one of the most accurate rifles I've ever shot or owned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 105amatt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most of the time the barrel length is measured from the breech face. </div></div>

Wells there's "most of the time" and what "people actually do"

No reason for them long barrels, mine has a 22 inches an gets out there just fine. I guess if you are not going to carry it much then that's cool get a 26. But if you walk or run with it go 22.