• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing gap camo stencils??

M.D.K.

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2009
Pinedale WY
I noticed on here ive seen some guys selling there guns and they talk about being painted with GAP stencils. i looked on GAP and didn't see that being offered so i checked the web and found a company called bull dog that sells a gap stencil kit to camo your stock. My question is, has anyone used it and also what are they using for paint?? i have a HS stock and im going to have the gun and stock painted in cerokote in coyote tan then i wanted to use the gap stencils to add in black and dark tan to make it a desert camo look but i didn't know what paint you guys have tried???

Re: gap camo stencils??

thank Austan,
as i said, i already went to bulldog arms and saw the stencils, i was just curious if this was the route that everyone has been using. i was planning on trying out dura coat for the stock camo but i might give the old rattle can another look

Krylon Camo Fusion is what a lot of the guys use, and you can make your own stencils out of blue painters tape. Here is a how-to that is really easy to follow and has really good results. http://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1734076&page=1
If you lay out some wax paper and cover it with blue painters tape, you can draw out your stencils and cut them out with an Exacto knife. When you are ready, peel off the wax paper and apply them to whatever you are going to paint. I have mine cut out already and the wax paper keeps them ready to use, I just need better weather!

Kelly

I don't know how to put pics up on here, but I cut my stencils out of blue,paint trim tape. I drew the digicam pattern on graph paper to begin with, transferred to the tape that I had put on a sheet of hard plastic, then cut it out with an X-Acto kinfe. I used Krylon and it came out very nice. I did learn not to try this method on a stock that has been coated with spray on undercoating though.

u can also find any stencil u want also on the internet and print it out onto wax paper with blue tape on it. just cut wax paper just like a piece of copy paper and cover with tape (wider the better)and print. ive done this many times. donot use the sherwin williams frog tape it will leave all ink runny and cannot use.

I have used bulldog stencils many times. They are very nice, and in my opinion worth the money. By the time you spend your time cutting out your own shapes they've already paid for themselves.

Go with the Bulldog stencils and you'll be happy.

worth the money? dude lauer weaponry charges like 4x bulldog charges.

Lauer weaponry charges more than the bulldog ones, didn't know that, and I have only used bulldog? Then I'd say buy bulldog, I was just sayin I don't have the time or patience to cut out all of those shapes myself....so they are worth the money to me.

I have always used bulldog arms and have always been pleased.. I use duracoat and cerakote with them

If you use DuraCoat on the stock, I would suggest a top coat of clear in your prefered sheen to even out the colors. This will give you a nice finished look.
I have a stock on the way from a customer who wants the GAP pattern.
Seems to be a popular pattern.

I just went to the Bulldog site and the GAP stencil seems to not be available anymore. What's the story? Anywhere else to get the GAP pattern?

What about the dipping process on stocks anyone know a web site. or co.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hustamuff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have always used bulldog arms and have always been pleased.. I use duracoat and cerakote with them </div></div>

Same here, no issues and it worked out nice.