• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP Crusader Drivers Needed !

Twisted .308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Who's got one or shot one ? It's got the 3/8" Gaurantee for accuracy advertised with Match Ammo ...Not knocking their work but is this the minimal expectations for this rifle.. how many actually shoot better ??
Sold my Armalite AR50 so I'm looking at 2 options here...

Looking at the Nemesis Vanquish ..BUT really leaning on getting a Crusader Rifled Action and dropping it in my AICS 1.5 Chassis and selling my LTR Action that is currently in it

Re: GAP Crusader Drivers Needed !

my best 5 shot group to date is .262 with my Crusader, FGMM 175's. worth every penny

3 shot group was a .108", 5 shot group was a .201", 10 shot jumped up to .61" but thats more me than the gun.

Crusader Action chambered in a .260

I shot one earlier this year, but shoots no different then my GAP Rock. The Rock is gauranteed to shoot 1/2" and mine shoots 3/8" with Factory FGMM. I do like the upgrades the Crusader offers over the Rock.

A group size "guarantee" is worth very little in my opinion. After a certain point, it mostly depends on the driver. I've managed a few in the 0.4 MOA range, but I've never been all that good at shooting little cloverleaf groups at 100 yd, and really don't care that I'm not good at it. The Crusader will absolutely shoot as well as you can drive, don't doubt it. On top of that, you would have to look pretty hard to find a more stable and comfortable platform. Here's what I think is more important than cloverleafs at 100 yd:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...149#Post2667149

I have not talked to GAP yet , only e-mailed Karey to get a Basic price on one . since I have the Chassis already , I can get a Barreled action for around $1700+- then add what I finally decide on ( probably gonna get Fluted & Threaded ,and maybe something else , Trigger ????? so it will be added to the total ). and yea the "Upgrades" on the Crusader are pretty minimal in cost over the Rock as far as I'm concerned but it looks like it would be in the ballpark of arond $2200-2500 to get what I want ;-)
gstaylorg > how did the NF work out for you ??? thats the exact same scope I have right now also

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twisted .308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have not talked to GAP yet , only e-mailed Karey to get a Basic price on one . </div></div>

If you're talking about Karey Bruner, he's long gone from GAP.
Ken Lin is the guy to call now.

The 8-32x56 NP-R1 has worked out very well. IMO, it's just the right "amount" of reticle for 600 yd and beyond. Not too cluttered in the center, but more than enough hashmarks to use for adjustments and/or range estimation. I also recently purchased a Hopsitaller as a dedicated F-class rifle from the "Rifles Ready to Ship" section at GAP's webpage, which is now wearing a NF NXS 12-42x56 with NP-2DD reticle. Both of these rifle/scope combos have far exceeded my expectations.

Just figured I'd drop my .02 on my crusader...
At 100 yards, in conditions ranging from over 100 degrees F to below 0 degrees F, with FGMM 168, FGMM 175, and Southwest Ammo 175, it consistantly shoots less than .25 moa 5 shot groups.
I only shoot at 100 yards when my MRS wants to drive it because 100 is really too close for that guns capability.
I think GAP's 3/8 guarantee was leaving a lot of head room for what their equipment is truly capable of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fw707</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twisted .308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have not talked to GAP yet , only e-mailed Karey to get a Basic price on one . </div></div>

If you're talking about Karey Bruner, he's long gone from GAP.
Ken Lin is the guy to call now. </div></div>

Yep, Just looked at the e-mail and noticed that ! I was talking to Karey quite awhile back about this setup , and it gotput on the backburner...just hit reply and asked if original Quote was still good ...didn't look to see who replied ..but your right.... it was Ken not Karey

Get a Crusader man, our GAP's drive exceptionally well...with factory match. Buy once cry one. Be done with it. Keep your eyes on the FS section too, they pop up once in a while in pristine condition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CommAV80R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just figured I'd drop my .02 on my crusader...
At 100 yards, in conditions ranging from over 100 degrees F to below 0 degrees F, with FGMM 168, FGMM 175, and Southwest Ammo 175, it consistantly shoots less than .25 moa 5 shot groups.
I only shoot at 100 yards when my MRS wants to drive it because 100 is really too close for that guns capability.
I think GAP's 3/8 guarantee was leaving a lot of head room for what their equipment is truly capable of. </div></div>

That's good to know and pretty much what I figured , I'm by no means an expert shot ..LOL 3/8 -1/2 or 1 moa probably won't make a difference in my hands anyways
grin.gif

I never could get my head wrapped around a 3/8=1/2" or whatever 100 yard guarantee. Give me a 1/2" 300 and I WILL pay attention.

Absolutely happy and impressed with the performance of my Crusader.

I started with reloading my own 175's, using RE15 in Lapua Brass.I've always gotten 1/2ish groups at 100, but seriously was more concerned with longer range. To which, this rifle shoots better than I do.

Just a few weeks ago, I sprung cubic-dollars and used FGMM (at $55.00 a box, Canuckian,,,grrrr) and my groups cut in half.

Damn, I knew it was a great rifle, but didn't know it was that good. I've never once questioned GA Precision's claims, nor the rifle's abilities. I'd always questioned my own.

Now, I realize that I gotta work on my reloading more. Wow, what a difference. Does that help?

You will like it : ) i promise lol.

I had the same jitters when I got my rifle from GAP. Had to thin the safe herd a bit to do it, but I will say it was completely worth it. FWIW I have shot their 3/8 gurantee... I have also not shot it lol, but the build is definitely good for it.

I can say that the fit and finish is fantastic. The best i have by far. Rock solid. Not a single corner cut that I could find.

That vanquish is a sexy thing for sure... But I would not trade my GAP for one.

When I had my crusader it shot EFFORTLESS sub 3/8" groups with handloads, and this was with 165 Sierra Gamekings at that! I posted a pic of a target once with like 5 groups all under 3/8ths.

My skills were really rusty and my .308 Crusader shot the promised 3/8" groups the first time out. It darn sure takes away all the excuses.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twisted .308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who's got one or shot one ? It's got the 3/8" Gaurantee for accuracy advertised with Match Ammo ...Not knocking their work but is this the minimal expectations for this rifle.. how many actually shoot better ??

Looking at the Nemesis Vanquish ..BUT really leaning on getting a Crusader Rifled Action and dropping it in my AICS 1.5 Chassis and selling my LTR Action that is currently in it </div></div>

Apples and Pineapples

The GAP is the better all around platform

I have owned 3 of these rifles and they all shot amazing.. Boring amount of repetitiveness watching the bullet holes getting only slightly bigger

I run a GAP Crusader and the accuracy guarentee is good. When I'm doing my part, I've shot 200 yard 5-shot groups where all the bullet holes overlap.

When I first got my rifle, I developed my most accurate load running 2650fps. Once I had my velocity, I punched in the numbers into my ballistics program, on that same day I was ringing steel out to 600 yards consistently and even hit the 1000 yards target a few times...on the same day.

There is no question that my GA Precision rifle outshoots any production rifle I've shot. I don't think you really see the big difference until you shot beyond 300yds. Most bolt-action rifles can shoot under 3/4 moa inside 100 yards, but take it out to 500-1000yds and small variations make much more of a difference. Here is where GA Precision separates itself from the crowd. Then there is their durability and consistency , and that where they distinguish themselves.

After buying my first GAP rifle, before the Rock came to be and the GA name used to be stamped on the side, I never stopped buying them. I guess you can say, I was trying to see how consistant their rifles were. Different stocks, actions, and barrel makers. All shot the same. I've even purchased them used. Same story. Now I have quite a collection of GAP rifles and all shoot better than thair claimed guarantee with factory ammo. Better with my handloads. I have GAP on a Badger action that almost shoots their claimed 3/8 guarantee with Reminton Core-loct bullets that I purchased just for brass.

It's worth it. You may have to have your lug area modified to fit the recoil lug if you're only purchasing the barreled action. I would send the stock to GAP and have them install it into your stock.

Hope this helps a little.

Picked up a Crusader with the Lawton action two weeks ago. Had it out both weekends load testing. Initial impression is it doesn't care for 168--go figure with the 1:11.25. 175 seems very accurate. It's zeroing in on 43-43.3 Varget.

I have been shooting it along side my TRG as a control rifle. OK, since you used the 'driver' analogy, here's the comparison: TRG is like a Porsche, Crusader is like a Corvette. With the right load & driver, both will run in-stride. However, like a Porsche, the TRG has very well thought out ergonomics and features that make it a better daily driver--including the best bipod design I've ever used, nearly 4lbs lighter, fully adjustable stock/trigger & the ability to consistently shoot 1/4 MOA with 168s--best group was .169" last weekend. Like a Corvette, the GAP feels raw, powerful, purpose-built and good ole American craftsmanship.

The 168 issue would be my only gripe re: the Crusader because 168 costs 1/3 less than 175s. I'm testing more loads this weekend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hamstur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Picked up a Crusader with the Lawton action two weeks ago. Had it out both weekends load testing. Initial impression is it doesn't care for 168--go figure with the 1:11.25. 175 seems very accurate. It's zeroing in on 43-43.3 Varget.

I have been shooting it along side my TRG as a control rifle. OK, since you used the 'driver' analogy, here's the comparison: TRG is like a Porsche, Crusader is like a Corvette. With the right load & driver, both will run in-stride. However, like a Porsche, the TRG has very well thought out ergonomics and features that make it a better daily driver--including the best bipod design I've ever used, nearly 4lbs lighter, fully adjustable stock/trigger & the ability to consistently shoot 1/4 MOA with 168s--best group was .169" last weekend. Like a Corvette, the GAP feels raw, powerful, purpose-built and good ole American craftsmanship.

The 168 issue would be my only gripe re: the Crusader because 168 costs 1/3 less than 175s. I'm testing more loads this weekend.</div></div>

Push the 168s faster. Even the 175s 43-43.3grns of Varget is a little low. Most find from 44-45grns the area. You might be down below the low node for the 168s who have a max load of 46grns with Varget.

I have a GAP .308, not a Crusader, with a 11.25 tiwst Bartlein barrel and it loves the 168 AMAX factory loads.

At 100 yds my Crusader with an AAC Cyclone will make 1 hole with 5 shots and at 200 yd it shoots 1/2" groups. Their guarantee is totally off. IT WILL SHOOT BETTER than any of us. I shoot FGMM 168 gr and SW 175 gr std. 175 GR holds the tighter groups for me

You'd need to ask GAP how many shoot better than 3/8. They test fire all of them. Anything else is anecdotal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twisted .308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who's got one or shot one ? It's got the 3/8" Gaurantee for accuracy advertised with Match Ammo ...Not knocking their work but is this the minimal expectations for this rifle.. how many actually shoot better ??

Looking at the Nemesis Vanquish ..BUT really leaning on getting a Crusader Rifled Action and dropping it in my AICS 1.5 Chassis and selling my LTR Action that is currently in it </div></div>

I think the bottom line is that if it has the GAP name on the side, you will not have to worry about accuracy of the rifle! I bought a used GAP build on an FN/SPR action and I'm sure I have a silly grin everytime I shoot it
grin.gif
. The rifle really is capable of delivering stunning accuracy. Although my rifle is not a Crusader, I have documented less than .25MOA out to 300 yards with FGMM ammo. I'm not sure that anyone can or does build a more accurate rifle. Every rifle that comes out of the GAP shop just seems to be a great shooter from what I can tell...IMHO/YMMV...
cool.gif

My crusader will shoot 1/2 to 1 inch 5 shot groups at 300 yards all day long and twice on Sunday. Best rifle I have ever shot

I'm sorry, but did you say 1/2" - 1" 5 shot groups at 300 yards or 300 feet all day long?

Not to doubt your rifles abilities or your personal talents, but I think they may be a bit overstated in my humble opinion!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jAXDIALATION</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You'd need to ask GAP how many shoot better than 3/8. They test fire all of them. Anything else is anecdotal. </div></div>

GAP does not shoot a group with each build. They test fire once for function testing.

I've had my Crusader for a few months now, and I consistently shoot .3-.4 inch five round groups at 100 yards. I've had a few good days when I shot just under .3 inch groups.

I'm still new to precision shooting, so its hard to say if my rifle is capable of tighter groups as I'm probably the limiting factor in the equation...

OK so my best shot group on a calm day was 1/2 at 300 yards. On the average 1.25 to 1.75 at 300 with my reloads, The point is its a awsome weapon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hamstur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Picked up a Crusader with the Lawton action two weeks ago. Had it out both weekends load testing. Initial impression is it doesn't care for 168--go figure with the 1:11.25. 175 seems very accurate. It's zeroing in on 43-43.3 Varget.</div></div>

Push the 168s faster. Even the 175s 43-43.3grns of Varget is a little low. Most find from 44-45grns the area. You might be down below the low node for the 168s who have a max load of 46grns with Varget.

I have a GAP .308, not a Crusader, with a 11.25 tiwst Bartlein barrel and it loves the 168 AMAX factory loads. </div></div>

Alrighty, finished load test with 175SMK and here's the 200 yard result -- it was a little windy today, so I went with quick followup 3-round groups vs 5-round groups, but I shot 5 test groups. The exact load is Win brass, 43.0 Varget, CCI 250 (LR mag) primer, 175 SMK, 0.004-0.010 off lands (bullets gauged 2.258-2.264 to lands, I loaded all to 2.254):

Group 1 = 0.447"
Group 2 = 0.638"
Group 3 = 0.642"
Group 4 = 0.573"
Group 5 = 0.462"
<span style="font-weight: bold">Grp Avg = 0.552"</span> = 0.276 MOA

Since everybody always says group size claim without pics means nothing...
GAP200Yd.jpg

Answer to original post is yes, it will best 3/8 MOA ... though as others mention, the word "guarantee" means nothing because with the right load & shooter, any rifle will go 1/4 MOA.

I have one and I believe most of the gentlmen will Agree, when you go shooting with friends... It's almost like cheating. It is the finest most accurate rifle I have ever owned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SVG308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jAXDIALATION</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You'd need to ask GAP how many shoot better than 3/8. They test fire all of them. Anything else is anecdotal. </div></div>

GAP does not shoot a group with each build. They test fire once for function testing. </div></div>

Are you sure about that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aimsmall55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have one and I believe most of the gentlmen will Agree, when you go shooting with friends... It's almost like cheating. It is the finest most accurate rifle I have ever owned. </div></div>

I know what you mean.

When I go to the range, I get interesting looks from hunters struggling to get a 6 inch group with their deer rifle when i'm visibly pissed when I throw a shot and it increases my group to almost half an inch

I have a Hospitaller, and I tell people that I let shoot it, not to worry, that it will make them look good. They do build an amazing rifle.

Um... Yep, I still want a GAP rifle. Don't even know why I read ALL of the replies when I already knew what they'd say. I just kept picturing all of the badass GAP's I've seen on here in my short stay. Maybe one o these years I'll get one instead of dumping almost as much money into trying to put together something good myself haha.

I shot a center to center 2.5" group at 510 yrds yesterday. Wind was also howling. What's not to believe? If you know your stuff it will make you look like Superman