• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP HRT Rifle

Red Belly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2009
MA
Looks like GAP has the FBI HRT rifle on the website. Looks slick.

Re: GAP HRT Rifle

What does HRT stand for? What is this gun about? It looks like their Rock, with the Templar action, A5 stock, and SF muzzle break.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c1steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What does HRT stand for? What is this gun about? It looks like their Rock, with the Templar action, A5 stock, and SF muzzle break.</div></div>

Therefore it looks nothing like there "Rock"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hostage Rescue Team. </div></div>

Can anyone cite an incident where the FBI's HRT actually activated, responded and rescued a hostage ? As far as I know, their only tactical deployment in my memory to a hot incident was Weaver and Waco... neither of which turned out too good.

Any hint of the need for "tactical" operations by FBI here always was handled by a call to local authorities, although we did have hands-on involvement from DEA CLET teams and the US Marshals Special Operations which was always helpful and of impressive quality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSRswapandslow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">was it our guys that shot the pirates that took the ship captain hostage? </div></div>

Navy SEALs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSRswapandslow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">was it our guys that shot the pirates that took the ship captain hostage? </div></div>

Those were SEALs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parallax</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hostage Rescue Team. </div></div>

Can anyone cite an incident where the FBI's HRT actually activated, responded and rescued a hostage ? As far as I know, their only tactical deployment in my memory to a hot incident was Weaver and Waco... neither of which turned out too good.

Any hint of the need for "tactical" operations by FBI here always was handled by a call to local authorities, although we did have hands-on involvement from DEA CLET teams and the US Marshals Special Operations which was always helpful and of impressive quality. </div></div>

Chief Parallax,
I think that FBI HRT has been involved in one or two more incidents than the 2 you listed. I googled and Wikipedia has a page for them. I know they were at the Fedreal Prison Riots and they saved alot of lives.

Us local cops always seem to "dog" the FBI, but I have several friends that have left local work to go with them. They are good guys. I can imagine that like every agency the quality of personnel varies. Let's not discount what these FBI SWAT and specifically HRT guys do and have done to get where they are. I say Thank you to them.

If their snipers are using GA Precision guns, good for them, good for us, and bad for the bad guys. The description of the package looks to be very solid. I'm sure they looked at more than the internet to decide to go with GAP. I think it is smart to market the gun that HRT uses, look at Springfield Armory's Professional model. The gunsmith who builds those have no idea if it is going to me, you, or into FBI inventory.

Respectfully,
Jack

Now if George could fill in the history and the Package requirements that mght help.

They are not the only Federal Agency to use GAP rifles and I know of some that are very active and engaging targets, recently in fact.

A lot of these agencies work much more than you think, granted details are scarce, but that doesn't mean it's not happening on a regular basis.

just because a gun isn't advertised as a "issued" rifle doesn't mean it isn't getting used where it counts. trust me

I know atleast some of them are over the ocean right now, I've got family in that work. Went to the training academy last year and got to try out the 416's, and apparently some guys had trouble with them functioning for some reason.

I thought the FBI guys were using either the FN A3 something or the McMillan. I remember reading something about this in one of the gun mags a few years ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sideshowbob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">in one of the gun mags a few years ago. </div></div>

Key words...a few years ago. This rifle is a brand new contract for the FBI and is the real deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sideshowbob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought the FBI guys were using either the FN A3 something or the McMillan. I remember reading something about this in one of the gun mags a few years ago. </div></div>

Some companies just make more of a big deal about rifles being bought by certain agencies...

Again, reality is not always what is seems. If a government agency buys a factory rifle like an FN or H&S and then ships it off to GAP to have them torn down and rebarreled before even being shot, -- sure that company still sold the gun to the agency, but is that agency really still using their rifle ?

GAP has being doing stuff like this for a while, you never hear about it. They also do complete builds for these same agencies, they just never mention it.

Yep, I was at the range the other day in Soldotna, Alaska and a State Trooper had an 18" .308 GAP in hand, shooting TAP ammo.
GAP gets around.

Reactions: Bigrederic

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackinfl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think that FBI HRT has been involved in one or two more incidents than the 2 you listed...</div></div>

Could be... I used to team teach the FBI basic SWAT course with a former HRT member (a former PD officer), but that was in the late 80's n early 90's. He once told me he saw more action as an SA assigned to the Puerto Rico office then with HRT.. which from what I knew was going on in PR at the time was understandible. Times change...

I have Agents that are counted among my good friends, even one in my family and one who has extended his retirement several times to play in the sand... they do get a lot of crap from us locals. It's generally not directed at the field agents, but at some of the ridiculous policies their management forces on them. And they know that and depending on who would overhear generally join right in too ... they give as good as they receive
smile.gif

Would be interesting to know what their accuracy requirements are and at what round count they rebarrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parallax</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hostage Rescue Team. </div></div>

Any hint of the need for "tactical" operations by FBI here always was handled by a call to local authorities, although we did have hands-on involvement from DEA CLET teams and the US Marshals Special Operations which was always helpful and of impressive quality. </div></div>

If my memory serves, Ruby Ridge & Waco were both initiated by ATF.

In the Spring of 1996 the FBI handled the "Freeman Standoff" in Garfield County, Montana and were calling the shots from beginning to end (Nearly three months). Nobody remembers that though because no lives were lost and nothing burnt to the ground on National TV. There were HRT members at that incident from all over the nation.

Just FYI:

FBI Has 2 Tactical Entities

1. FBI SWAT, Every Major City or Region has a Team, there are lots of them. They are made up of agents that have secondary duty as part of the SWAT Team. (I'm sure this varies in bigger cities) The SWAT Teams are Issued HS Precision Rifles with the FN A3G being an alternate. (to my knowledge the FN's were never purchased so the HS Precision is Standard Issue.

2. FBI HRT, They are Stationed in Quantico, Virginia and deploy all over. There is one team of 60-80 guys. Its their main mission and they train year round when not deployed or called out. This is the unit that issues GAP rifles as spec'd on the website, HRT Rifle these guys train and work really hard and are a great bunch of guys, I have met quite a few of them and they are salt of the earth.

There is a great book called Cold Zero by Chris Whitcomb I believe. He was an agent then went to HRT. Its a pretty good read. He was at Ruby Ridge & Waco.

cuz HRT goes overseas and 308 is a nato round that is easily aquired overseas. 308 is a pretty good do it all round, when you can shoot to 1000 yards with sub-moa accuracy why not?

Do not under estimate the HRT team. They are locked on guys and as George said train full time. Check out their PT test. They are all in awesome shape also. People sometime assume because they are not talked about more they must be slackers.

Thanks for the correction / clarification AX10. I know that there were HRT members in Garfield Co. but I was probably confusing some of the Regional SWAT members that were there from different parts of the country with HRT.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cuz HRT goes overseas and 308 is a nato round that is easily aquired overseas. 308 is a pretty good do it all round, when you can shoot to 1000 yards with sub-moa accuracy why not?
</div></div>

You think they're actually worried about acquiring ammo? Do they actually get used more than once a year? Have they only actually been deployed twice, like the other guy said?

I think it's great that contractors are out making rifles that are great off the shelf. On the other hand, I'd expect them to all have their own custom rifles made by GAP or someone else. It seems like a bad case of swollen bureaucracy that they even have to use the same ammo, much less be issued the exact same rifle.

Looks like a great rifle. Does GAP offer revolving credit?
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FBI Has 2 Tactical Entities..</div></div>

Thanks George....

My pudgy little pie grabbers fingered a couple of the actions when I was down at GAP last time
smile.gif
the prefix is HRT very cool

An FBI SWAT team member was shooting at my local gun club a few years back. His issue was the HS Precision 308 and Leupold 3.5-10X scope. Every piece of equipment was serialized with FBI-XXXX including his spare mags and Dewey cleaning rod.

He was an Army helicopter pilot for 10 years before joining the FBI. Heck of a nice guy who went to High School with my nephew, a SC State Trooper.

There also is a retired FBI SWAT team Gun club member who now works with Remington as a National Sales Rep for LE/Military Ammo sales.

Those are the only two Federal SWAT types that I personally know and both men are first class.

Its safe to assume most HRT shooters share the same values we all do regarding the preservation of our freedoms and our way of life. The two tragedies mentioned from the early nineties should never be forgotton and lets hope and pray they are not repeated. Any kid who has an interest in shooting and who may be looking into the military or law enforcment as a possible future, encourage them and teach them what this nation is about. Help them appreciate the 2nd amendment and freedom and of sacrifice of not just our selfless men and women soilders but also the sacrifice of our cops and firemen-what dangers they deal with every day! Than when they grow up they'll look upon these careers with the utmost honor they deserve and may they choose to go into such a career path, they will truly seek to protect our nation(constitution and citizens) as priority 1! Hopefully than will past tragedies be put to the past never to be repeated!
Sorry, didn't intend to get all political and diverge from thread topic.

Ditto that "thanks" to George for the HRT clarification. Its probably good for me to quit refering to every local SWAT as "HRT" even if by description they are all similar. Again congrats on the contract. For a good while the HRT rifles were built at the Marines Precision Weapons in Quantico right along with the M40A1s! When I learned this it helped explain why I had seen Unertl 10x scopes on FBI rifles. A10XRIFLE, do you know if the old Marine build FBI rifles were clip slotted like the M40A1?
Can you also explain the use of the Bartlein 5R?

One humdinger of a rifle!

For any interested on learning a little more about HRT look for Christopher Whitcomb's book "Cold Zero" inside the hostage rescue team. A very good read, oh, and did I mention he was a HRT sniper???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just FYI:

FBI Has 2 Tactical Entities

1. FBI SWAT, Every Major City or Region has a Team, there are lots of them. They are made up of agents that have secondary duty as part of the SWAT Team. (I'm sure this varies in bigger cities) The SWAT Teams are Issued HS Precision Rifles with the FN A3G being an alternate. (to my knowledge the FN's were never purchased so the HS Precision is Standard Issue.

2. FBI HRT, They are Stationed in Quantico, Virginia and deploy all over. There is one team of 60-80 guys. Its their main mission and they train year round when not deployed or called out. This is the unit that issues GAP rifles as spec'd on the website, HRT Rifle these guys train and work really hard and are a great bunch of guys, I have met quite a few of them and they are salt of the earth.

</div></div>

yep good bunch of dudes, went through some training with a couple of em. and worked with a couple overseas. definately something i would look at when i got out.

Interesting that it has a 22" barrel, so much discussion about barrel length these days, the 24" has always been the standard, then 20" is really all that is needed, but they settled in the middle with 22"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doug308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting that it has a 22" barrel, so much discussion about barrel length these days, the 24" has always been the standard, then 20" is really all that is needed, but they settled in the middle with 22"</div></div>

We did 8 for them with 16.2" 1-8 Twist barrels as well with AICS 2.0 Chassis. The Standard Rifle was 22" 1-11.2 Twist

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<span style="font-weight: bold">We did 8 for them with 16.2" 1-8 Twist barrels</span> as well with AICS 2.0 Chassis. The Standard Rifle was 22" 1-11.2 Twist </div></div>

That sounds like 300 Whisper - were they?

Good luck

I recall reading about a guy who was able to attend one of those FBI Citizen's Academy Courses (I don't know the actual name) and he said he was shooting an FN SPR A3g.

Regards,
Greyson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rev762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any of these rifles out and in Sniper’s Hide members hands yet? </div></div>
I've got one on order.